Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

07' Kicking Team - Sun Sentinel/Ted Hutton

Kicking It Around

Teambeer made a very good point. I never dealt with special teams in my review/preview of the football team. Shame on me.

I might be taking a cue from the coaches, who have never seemed to put much emphasis on the kicking game (as evidenced this season when FAU gave up a punt return and two kickoff returns for scores, including a back-breaker at Middle Tennessee).

Anyway, a bright spot was Frantz Simeon as punt returner. He averaged 13.4 yards per return, 9th best in Division I-A, which ain?t bad. Simeon has a great first move that gets him those extra yards, and he is sure-handed, which is also a must on punt returns.

Punter Mike O?Neil averaged 37.5 per kick and did not have one blocked, and his leg got quite a workout in those first four games.

Other than that, we had the continuing struggles of Warley Leroy, who was 9-of-14 in field goals, and 1-for-3 on attempts from 30 to 39 yards out. Either Leroy needs to get better quick, or the Burrowing Birds need to find a more reliable leg. There are a gaggle of kickers out there during practice, and it is surprising that Leroy is the best of them. I expect several games will come down to field goals in 2007.

The fact that Kris Bartels could step in and start returning kickoffs can be taken two different ways. First, a tribute to his desire and skill, second, a knock on the group that had been returning. Bartels does not have the speed to go the distance, but what he did that The Voice liked was pick a hole, commit to it and blast away. I would like to think FAU can find a speedster who can do that and save Bartels for his important defensive duties.

No starters lost, everyone coming back.

Outlook: Fair

Sun Sentinel/Ted Hutton
Back to the top

ha ha, I made it in a Ted Hutton FAUblog!

Too bad his answers weren't what I was looking for. We had a number of chances this year for 3 points when Coach decided to go for it on 4th down. Are there no good kickers in this state? What about someone from the soccer team? Janikowski was a great transition from soccer, except for him being an alcoholic pill popper.
Back to the top

maybe thats it.....we need to find an irish alcoholic soccer player........i mean kerry collins played great when he was boozin.......

"Sore Loser?!?! Tell you what, show me a Good Loser and I'll SHOW you a LOSER!!!"
Back to the top

jvowl said

maybe thats it…..we need to find an irish alcoholic soccer player……..i mean kerry collins played great when he was boozin…….

Not a bad idea. This off-season someone needs to hit the pub scene hard and start recruiting. GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Over the summer, the pubs are packed with British guys that are over from the motherland teaching camps at Lynn, I'm sure we could teach one of those guys to kick a football!

I'm on it! For the sake of the team, I'll hit the pubs in Boca hard and find us a solid kicker. I'm willing to make the sacrifice for the Owls :)
Back to the top

TeamBeer can take care of the Boca Pubs, and I will do some recruiting throughout the rest of Palm Beach County. Although, the kicker I bring back from the bar might be more like the kicker from necessary roughness.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

TeamBeer can take care of the Boca Pubs, and I will do some recruiting throughout the rest of Palm Beach County. Although, the kicker I bring back from the bar might be more like the kicker from necessary roughness.

If she can kick it's all good! ;D
Back to the top

oh come one, Kathy Ireland is washed up! she hasn't kicked a football in years, I don't think she's a good choice. besides I think she's used up all of her eligibility. ;D
Back to the top

I dont think Leroy did to much of a bad job, considering it was his first year as the official starter, he got us one the board at clemson and was the leading scorer for the Owls this season. I expect better things next year from him, I have seen him in practice and he drills all of his field goals with the team. Now with Mike Oneill coming back to provide the punting duties, we really need him to step up because field position plays a big role in this league and he really didnt give us that. A 37 yard average was one of the worst in the Sun Belt Conference. I think we will see what happens in the spring and hopefully watch Leroy and Oneill emerge as great players to our beloved OWLS!!!!
Back to the top
Control functions: