Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU/FIU Rivalry

I thought this would do better on it's own than continuing it in the UM thread.

I think this rivalry will only get heated by a couple of things happening.

1. FAU continues to beat up on FIU and starts winning the SBC and going to bowls regularly.

2. FAU succeeds substantially in the SBC and moves up to Conf. USA or the Big (L)East.

If either of these happen, the boys at FIU will start wondering why they can't do the same as their counterparts up the road.

I also think if we start to do either of the two that recruiting would have picked up substantially and we would be beating the pants off of FIU and they would be relegated to an afterthought to us.
Back to the top

FAU/FIU Rivalry

FAU/FIU Rivalry

I respectfully disagree SigEp77. I think a real rivalry is formed if the expectation is that both teams are near equal and either team could win. If we would continue to beat up on FIU and start winning the SBC and move up to a different conference, I think the rivalry dies. We would then form new rivalries with better teams. To do all those things will take several years, so I believe the rivalry will continue.
Back to the top

FAU/FIU Rivalry

Well, I think there's some credibility to saying that an imbalance between the two teams could make the rivalry hotter than it is.

If one team in a possible rivalry manages to start stepping ahead of the other then there emerges inevitable feelings of superiority. The loser in this contest feels cheated and inferior, sparking feelings of hatred for their better off cousins.

A similar trend is the case with USF and UCF. USF has always been perceived as the older and athletically more successful program than UCF. That combined with the regular smackdowns UCF has had to put up with has made many of them a rather bitter bunch. The fact that many USF fans don't want anything to do with them and don't see them as rivals just burns up UCF even more.

I'd say an imbalance is beneficial to fuel a beginning rivalry but the problem begins when it persists and the other team cannot stay competitive.
Back to the top

FAU/FIU Rivalry

I'd love to help start the FAU USF rivalry next season by paying you guys back for the spaking you gave us a few years ago. That was one of the more painful football games I've witnessed in FAU history!
Back to the top

FAU/FIU Rivalry

The only problem with that is, USF has grown tremedously since then and with their move to the Big East have started to benefit with recruiting a higher level of recruits.

In the same breath, FAU as made great strides as well, but still lag behind the growth and development USF has made. We will be a much better team when we first face-off with the Bulls, however, so are the bulls. Should be a very interesting game regardless and should help the Owls' gauge where their are in their development as a team. We are still a couple of year away, IMO.
Back to the top

FAU/FIU Rivalry

I think in the future that could make for a good rivalry, but it will depend on a lot of different things happening in FAU's development, in all aspects.
Back to the top

FAU/FIU Rivalry

I may be wrong but I feel as long as the football team has to play home games in a high school football stadium in the next county, FIU will have a recruiting edge. Look at the "all conference" players they had this season. This was supposed to be their rebuilding year.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

FAU/FIU Rivalry

Agree and disagree Alum…we have the selling point of (at worst) playing your senior season opener in 2010 at home, in Boca Raton, on campus, versus Michigan State - who will continue to underachieve…in an $80 Mil stadium - barring a BOT catastrophe…not bad if you ask me…and thats the WORST case scenario…not to mention playing UF next year (potential National Champs)…and what does FIU have to offer but a rennovated "High School" stadium?

We will probably be back to Dolphin Stadium before then, unless they get the dirt moving in Boca sooner than the 2010 timetable…
Back to the top

FAU/FIU Rivalry

Florida_Owl said

Agree and disagree Alum…we have the selling point of (at worst) playing your senior season opener in 2010 at home, in Boca Raton, on campus, versus Michigan State - who will continue to underachieve…in an $80 Mil stadium - barring a BOT catastrophe…not bad if you ask me…and thats the WORST case scenario…not to mention playing UF next year (potential National Champs)…and what does FIU have to offer but a rennovated "High School" stadium?

We will probably be back to Dolphin Stadium before then, unless they get the dirt moving in Boca sooner than the 2010 timetable…

I will disagree slightly. 2010 in the new stadium is actually the best case senario, not worst. The stadium still has not been officially approved. The only saving grace I know is there was a recent thing saying that Howard is going to undergo a fund raising campaign to bring enough money in the get the stadium in sooner. I hope it is so.

I just read in the Boca News that the board wants to increase the dorm space up to 5000 students. That would really transform the campus to a more traditional one. That would be much more attractive to recruits. Depending on what the enrollment is at the Boca campus in a few years, that is a significant % of students living on campus. That would be comperable to UF and FSU.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

FAU/FIU Rivalry

No, the best case scenarion would be 2009…this is what HAS been spoken…i dont care about the BOT anymore…it would take a complete fool, or in this case "Board" full of fools to not be simply smart enough to see the absolute need to have a stadium on campus…especially given what others in our league are doing…

I for one truly believe that these folks are taking heat behind the scenes regarding thier "heel dragging"…

As far as Howard and a possible campaign blitz, there are some pretty influential people, with power and money, that have graduated from FAU…CEO of Rexall Sundown for one, who he may be able to coax into partnering with them on funding…Howard Gugenhiem, although i do not know how involved he is at the present, is quite wealthy, and may be willing to make a significant contribution…the difference now is that things are unfolding in our favor from a playing stand point…it is more tangible and concrete than it was when the need was The Oxley Center…that's built…now, we need the stadium to go to the next level…

the only thing that stinks is that the project is not eligible for matching grants…which is rediculous given what it will do in trickle down resdiuals regarding enrollment, etc…the state will obviously benefit from the private funding required to finance and complete the project…should be more of a partnership…
It will also be interesting to see what the Moahjir guy who was recently promoted within the Department will contribute…thats one of his primary roles - fundraising…
Back to the top
Control functions: