Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Stadium Fundraiser

Add topic

Since the stadium seems to be the hot topic on here as of late I thought I'd share something thats been going around lately, sent out Rick "$mitty" Smith, the Director of the prOWLers:

If you have any loose change, please keep your quarters, nickels, dimes and pennies in a jar. The prOWLers will be collecting the coins from everyone the first week of Jan. and donating the funds to the FAU Football Stadium fund. If everyone can round up $10 in coins, we'll donate close to $1,000 to the stadium - which will help us reach our goal of $20,000 by May 1. Finding $10 is really easy: every time you make a cash purchase, save your leftover coins. Every time you look on the floor and find a coin, pick it up. Ask your friends and family to help you!

AEA
Go play Intramural Sports! www.fau.edu/campusrec/imsports/
Back to the top

Stadium Fundraiser

Stadium Fundraiser

The Angelos needs to set up a donation fund raising account that 100% of the money sent in be used ONLY for the on campus stadium. Nobody touches the money for anything else. The only money used would be for mailing expenses and phone and the e-mail can cut those costs.
How about this let Smitty do it and if he raises enough money to build the damn thing name it after him. I believe this guy has the vision and fortitude to pull it off being a little wild and crazy helps too. Sounds crazy, I don't know him but I bet he would shock a lot of people. First off his head isn't stuck up his ass and he can see the big picture.

If every student donated 10 or 20 bucks and every alum donate 100 + that would be a pretty good start.
Back to the top

Stadium Fundraiser

Where do I send the check?

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Stadium Fundraiser

Here is how FIU does it…tax and spend…looks like they are just passing the new salary and recruiting budget on to the students, quite craftily…this proposed increase equals $600k - a figure surprisingly close to the total of the buyout of Strock, Cristobal's raise over Strock's base, and the budget increase:

"Lacking big money from donors, ticket sales and television contracts, FIU relies mostly on student fees – $184.90 per semester for full-time students, prorated for part-timers. Next semester, a committee of students and administrators will consider raising fees as much as $20.85 per semester for full-time students. FIU has an undergraduate enrollment of 26,833 students.

Next year's athletic budget will be about $16 million, with $13 million coming from student fees, according to Marcos Perez, FIU's vice president for administration. The athletic foundation has $5.3 million in reserve, he said. The school also is paying new athletic director Pete Garcia about $220,000 per year."

Miami Herald/Noah Bierman
Back to the top

Stadium Fundraiser

faualum said

Where do I send the check?

If your planning on making a big donation, you are more then welcome to stop by my office and drop off your check here. Please make it payable to cash.

On behalf of my entire family…Thank you!!!
Back to the top

Stadium Fundraiser

Maybe we can get some of the prowlers out at the basketball games or something. I know Smitty has access to the mic on the football field maybe he can make some kind of an announcement during halftime or stoppage of play during a basketball game.

Maybe this way some of the people who don't know about this board or the fund raiser wouldn't mind taking some cash out of their wallet's and helping him reach the goal maybe he can even beat it.

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Stadium Fundraiser

It's my understanding that when you donate to the FAU Foundation you can specify EXACTLY what you would like the money to go to, i.e. a particular college, sport, program, etc…

I'm sure they're happy to start taking money earmarked for the Stadium so for those of you who are looking to donate any amount under $20,000 you should call or email Tony Lee 561-901-0306 or email him at [email protected]. He's in charge of donations to the University at that scale and he'd be able to answer any questions you may have about making sure it goes only to the stadium project. Put those Xmas bonuses to good use everyone!!! In all seriousness, $25 makes a difference if enough people give, so do what you can.

Jab979: Smitty goes to all of the basketball games, his prOWLers contingent is a little smaller for those games though, it only looks like a few of them come out.
Back to the top

Stadium Fundraiser

Florida_Owl said

Here is how FIU does it…tax and spend…looks like they are just passing the new salary and recruiting budget on to the students, quite craftily…this proposed increase equals $600k - a figure surprisingly close to the total of the buyout of Strock, Cristobal's raise over Strock's base, and the budget increase:

"Lacking big money from donors, ticket sales and television contracts, FIU relies mostly on student fees – $184.90 per semester for full-time students, prorated for part-timers. Next semester, a committee of students and administrators will consider raising fees as much as $20.85 per semester for full-time students. FIU has an undergraduate enrollment of 26,833 students.

Next year's athletic budget will be about $16 million, with $13 million coming from student fees, according to Marcos Perez, FIU's vice president for administration. The athletic foundation has $5.3 million in reserve, he said. The school also is paying new athletic director Pete Garcia about $220,000 per year."

Miami Herald/Noah Bierman

FAU raised the student activity fee a few years ago to cover costs. Now I hear it is the largest in the state. We got a little bashing because of it and a few remarks I'm sure from FIU fans and alumni. There was also alot of critisism from students that were not sports fans at the time. FAU has a balanced budget now. We went through growing pains and having to pay for stadium use to play home games was and is very expensive.

This is the way FIU is going. They have a larger enrollment so it will generate more funds. They have a lot on the table now with the med school. I hope they haven't bitten off more than they can chew.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Stadium Fundraiser

Along the line from what Smitty is doing, at every FAU functions wheter it's sports related or not a poster of the,umh the proposed stadium should be on display (making sure it is highy visiable) asking for support (donations) for building the on campus stadium.

IMO, the athletic deoartment could have started at the spring & fall scrimmage games, especially FanFest and during every home games this year. Lets say everyone donates $1 at every game, that puts us at about $45,000 - $50,000 at the end on the year - good start if you ask me.
Back to the top

Stadium Fundraiser

Fantastic Bytor, great idea and I believe the Athletic department needs to use this young mans enthusiasm to help with this. He is the voice of the youth not only on campus but will be able to reach down at the high school level. kids talk there parents and daddy donates 100 grand because he wants billy or Suzy to go to FAU. Everything has a snowball effect but it needs to get started. Schnelly can have Gala's with pictures of the Artist's conceptions. Smitty can go to the local watering holes with a radio DJ and do promotions. Millions of ideas they just need to be activated and at some point somebody is going to step up and drop a big amount and then his or her friends will do the same until a Trump type looks at the opportunity to put his name or company name in lites and that will be the closer. 8-)
Back to the top
Control functions: