Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sammy Hernandez

Add topic

Sammy Hernandez spotted at FAU

FAU Coach and former NBA player Rex Walters, was in attendance at a Miami Tropics game this wednesday as he is recruiting a former Tropics alumns, forward Sammy Hernandez.

"It could be a good fit because Hernandez, who is transferring from George Mason, loves being in Florida," said Walter Villa of the Miami Tropics.

"Rex is a quality, young coach," said Tropics head coach Art Alvarez. "He is in his first year as a head coach, and I really believe he will build something big at FAU. I think Sammy could come in and start right away at forward for them (after sitting out one season as per NCAA transfer rules)."

It seems FIU may be losing out on a chance at landing the talented young forward, we'll keep you posted.

Back to the top

Sammy Hernandez

He also visited Duquesne (front runner), Stetson, and Jacksonville:

"Coach (Ron) Everhart is rebuilding a whole program there at Duquesne and I'd like to be part of it," Hernandez said Thursday. "What I learned last year in going to Final Four is something that I can bring with me."

Hernandez, a Miami native, also visited Stetson and Jacksonville.

In 35 games as a freshman last season, including one as a starter, Hernandez averaged 2.8 points and 3.1 rebounds to go with 11 blocked shots in 11.1 minutes per game during George Mason's magical 27-8 season.

"The chances of choosing Duquesne is pretty good," Hernandez said. "I think it could be a good opportunity for me now. Coach Everhart is a great coach."

Sounds like a Charles Barkley type of player at his size…
Back to the top

Sammy Hernandez

I realize that the chance of getting Hernandez are slim, but it would be great to get a player of his caliber to play for FAU.

And shows that Rex committed going after top athletes to help build this program.

Back to the top

Sammy Hernandez

Bytor said

I realize that the chance of getting Hernandez are slim

Hey, maybe not??

He WAS at the game last night…sat right behind the bench with his gal…he is a pretty big body for his size…and for this league, he would be a formidable PF…hey, looks like we have a serious chance…he has been to campus twice now…also, the game was pretty festive last night….loud at times…think he would have enjoyed himself…

i did hear that Rex is basically selling him as he "could come in and start right away"…which would be true…Monroe and this guy = serious frontcourt skills…we really dont have a PF…
Back to the top

Sammy Hernandez

Florida_owl,

Should he transfer to FAU, would he be eligible to play next season?
Back to the top

Sammy Hernandez

Sammy Hernandez

No, he would have sit due to transfer rules…BUT, he has 2.5 years of eligibility left…which means he would come in second semester his frist year - as Cuka did…

Parmer and Simmons finish out next year…so we will have serious need for that position in 2008…
Back to the top

Sammy Hernandez

http://www.hoop-rap.com/news/newsview.php?getstory=879

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Sammy Hernandez

Sweet! Welcome to the Owls Sammy!
Back to the top

Sammy Hernandez

SICK!!! Look out league! Im telling you, gonna be hard to stop us...
Back to the top

Sammy Hernandez

That's great news! He is right we could use him to rebound. WKU just kicked our rear-ends on the boards. Glad to see he chose us over Duquesne

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top
Control functions: