Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

WKU

Add topic

This is going to be a tough game. there's going to be nobody in the stands so there goes the home factor. WKU is good, better than marist and odu. The best team will face in the conference. I don't know how N. Texas beat them.

Carlos, please come back……

If we could get
Rice
Graham
Parmer
Monroe
and a fifth to be named, maybe simmons, who's been playing well.

That's a solid lineup.

Anyone have an upate on him?
Back to the top

WKU

Exit39 said

This is going to be a tough game. there's going to be nobody in the stands so there goes the home factor. WKU is good, better than marist and odu. The best team will face in the conference. I don't know how N. Texas beat them.

Carlos, please come back……

If we could get
Rice
Graham
Parmer
Monroe
and a fifth to be named, maybe simmons, who's been playing well.

That's a solid lineup.

Anyone have an upate on him?

Dont be so quick to assume no one will show up…sure, football is on, but we have some momentum going into this game…i for one will be there…

A significant point to add:

We did not shoot all that well last night…we should have won the game by 10+ points…we are facing a primarily guard oriented team in WKU…i saw them play UT and they run mostly perimeter stuff…if we just play our brand of defense - like last night - and SHOOT WELL, we have a chance - you heard it here frist…
Back to the top

WKU

Good effort by the team coming up only 10 points short. Maybe we'll get them next time around hopefully with Monroe. This team is definitely playing much better than i anticipated. I do have a few questions since I am unable to get to a game (1500 miles away) and they haven't been on TV up here yet.

1. What's up with Kone? He's our biggest player listed at 6-9 and 250, plus he's a junior transfer. Is he more of a role player that you can't see getting major minutes? With such a small team, I think he might be able to contribute more.

2. Who's playing the point? Holly had 8 assists tonight. I thought Crews was the point guard but he's listed as a forward in all the box scores.

3. How do the young guys look….Cuka, Holley, Hughley…anyone standing out?

4. Any new news on Perkins?

5. Any new news on Monroe?
Back to the top

WKU

It was a good effort tonight. The reason we lost was rebounding….we just didn't do it. Every time we'd get a stop, WKU would get the offensive board and more times than not, hit a big shot. Having Monroe would have been a huge help, but the other players on the court have to do a better job of boxing out. Other than that, WKU shot well from 3 and buried some big ones down the stretch when we would cut the lead to 2 or 5. Overall though, I was encouraged. We played what is considered to be the best team in the SBC very tough despite not having an inside presence at all. Monroe can't return soon enough.

I also thought the attendance was pretty good. The box score listed it at 662. I would have guessed slightly higher and it may have been since I walked right in with my student ID and nobody even looked at me, so I doubt I was even counted. Oh well. The crowd was pretty good considering there was no band and very few students. That should change for the next home game when classes start.

Anyway, to answer some of your questions…

Kone may be our biggest player, but you wouldn't know it. He's not very physical nor does he have much of an offensive game. He's basically a backup that wouldn't be playing much if Monroe were in there.

Holley is the point guard. Crews is more of an undersized 2/3. He an play the position, but doesn't handle the ball well enough to play there full time.

As for the young guys…Cuka is a serviceable backup guard, nothing special. Holley is very quick and has a good shot. He's going to be a great player for us. Hughley played some tonight and you can tell he hasn't practiced with the team much. You can see the athleticism and he'll only get better, but he looked confused at times tonight and forced some bad shots and passes.
Back to the top

WKU

RhodeIslandOwl, I was unable to attend tonight due to a prior commitment, but can give a response on a couple of your items:
  1. Kone is soft. A Non-factor.
  2. Holley is point when in. One game he is very good, and then some games not so much. I think his size hurts him sometimes, but I think he can be fun to watch. He's a keeper.
  3. Of the young guys, Holley stands out. Hughley needs some more practice but should be good for us at some point.
  4. Perkins will have his final medical exam on January 2. Hopefully he is cleared. He has been practicing.

My prior commitment was to go to the gator basketball game vs. UAB in Sunrise. Talk about a program you would like to emulate…

We complain when we have to go to 25 miles from campus for a football game…the gators have a basketball game in Broward County and 15,000 screaming gator fans show up. Impressive.

They do have the advantage of having 100 years of alumni. We will get there. It sure is amazing to see that kind of support.

I agree that we are better than anticipated so far. Go Owls!
Back to the top

WKU

No question, we'd love to emulate the success of the UF basketball program, but the fact that 15,000 gators fans showed up in Sunrise isn't all that impressive. It's not as if they all traveled from Gainesville to get there, there's a huge alumni base throughout South Florida and probably a million people that live in the tri-county area that consider themselves Gator fans. Not to mention many of their current students are from this area and home on winter break. It's not exactly 50,000 people coming from Iowa to come to see their team in the Orange Bowl a few years back. Now that was an impressive display of team loyalty.
Back to the top

WKU

It's impressive when you consider FAU has 26,000 students and we cannot get 1,000 fans to come watch the Owls basketball games on a regular basis on their own campus. I know it's the holidays and attendance will increase some but the students need to step up. The great ones that do attend seem to be having a good time. This stadium project wouldn't be dragging on if the students supported the athletics more. You get a close game at FAU like the one at FIU the other night and have 4000-5000 people in the Burrow; that would be a great time.
Back to the top

WKU

No argument here. With the amount of students and alumni FAU has in this area, we should be drawing much bigger crowds. The problem is that for years FAU has been a commuter school and students didn't live on campus or feel much of a connection to the school after they left. That is changing now with more dorms being built and athletics moving up in division and conference. It just takes time to build the fan base. Last year was the first time I had ever seen a solid 300-500 students turnout for basketball games on a consistent basis. That isn't saying much but I remember going to games during the Sidney Green days and there was 20 students and maybe 80 total people in the stands. There was also a noticable increase of students at the football games this year. It's been a slow process, but it is getting better.
Back to the top

WKU

The program is 100+ years old…cant compare a program with a HUGE alumni base, that won the National Championship last year, and is 100 years old to FAU…cmon…

We had almost 700 last night…pretty darn good if you ask me…

But i agree with owls44: the students need to step up…

But hey, ill take this core group of "community" followers…mostly famililes, etc…they are more loyal…and they dont go home for the breaks! :)
Back to the top

WKU

WKU

Agreed, this core of "community" followers is great to have. We need all we can get. But we beat up the BOT (and they deserve it) on the stadium, when they must be looking at student attendance and say: the students are not supporting in great numbers so why would they agree to some $150M stadium. The students have great power in this thing. Show up. Fill the stadium. Create a need for a stadium. I can guarantee that if there were a couple thousand fans being turned away at basketball and football games, a stadium (or 2) would be going up. My questions are: How do we get the students to go to the games? What is it that they want for their entertainment value? They have been given free tickets and free transportation and still no turn out.

Obviously, all of us on this board attend games, and like me, probably donates money. I don't expect the students to donate anything but some time. If they want on-campus activities they just need to show they want this athletic program to advance to the next level. That will bring so many on-campus activities to FAU. Go Owls!
Back to the top
Control functions: