Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Ticket fiasco

Add topic

I got to the arena last night and almost walked away without seeing a minute of action.

I didn't have any cash with me and so I was going to use my credit card to buy my tickets. Could I do that? No. The guy at the desk (who looked totally clueless) just said they didn't take them and then sort of gestured to a co-worker. So I was about to turn and leave (as there are no ATMs in the vicinity I know of and I'd already missed a couple of minutes of the game) and one of the ticket staff eventually saw how ridiculous this situation was and gave me two free tickets.

What are we, a high school? All D-1 colleges should have the ability to take credit/debit cards at the door. Not everyone likes to carry around cash you know. Ridiculous. At least I got to see the game.

As for the game, yeah, the crowd wasn't so into it until late, but when you start missing free throws like we did, it gets a bit depressing. Even I was stuck to the bleachers for a while.

I liked the guy with the Owl decoy strapped to his head…quality stuff young man. He's got the right idea. Now if we can just get a few more like him.

The officiating was a bit poor, but those who come to FAU games should be used to that by now. And it was sad to see, at my first game of the year, that our scoring table issues have yet to be resolved. I wonder how long it will take to make that a running joke throughout the league like it was in the A-Sun.

And finally, the music! Come on Dexter…..it was ridiculously loud and coming through awful (possibly blown) speakers. The cheerleaders might get to Orlando this week and be thrown off by the lack of feedback and static in the music! Good luck ladies btw. They may need to improve their routine a little before Sat to have any chance….and what's with the three girls in knee braces!

Finally….anyone else get as entertained as I do by Rex's antics? He just cracks me up on the sideline for some reason.
Back to the top

Ticket fiasco

Im going to second you on the lack of professionalism all around with regards to game ops procedures and the music...the band plays, and the sound sysytem is still on...with no one sitting there...and when the music is on, as you stated, its about to blow the subwoofers...sounds poor to say the least...theres no standard set for excellence - the least one could say...
Back to the top

Ticket fiasco

No doubt. Even the one competition I remember them running was pretty crappy. That's one way to get the students out….give them some free crap. What happened to free food before the game from a few years ago? Ok, so they gave out 100 hotdog coupons on Wed, whoopdeedoo. Get some pizzas down there in the arena and get as many students in there as possible.
Back to the top

Ticket fiasco

Thats when i was on staff 1996-2000...we had a balloon out front and used to tailgate pizza, beer (when it was legal)...always some free stuff, etc...its the formulae for behinds in the seats ;)
Back to the top

Ticket fiasco

Ghost, I'm with you on the Credit Cards, it happened to me once as well, of course I'll never forget to bring cash again but it's bush league to not be able to accept cc's.

are they allowed to serve beer in the gym? we're not a dry campus, what's the ruling on that?
Back to the top

Ticket fiasco

GhostOfBuchanan said

What are we, a high school? All D-1 colleges should have the ability to take credit/debit cards at the door. Not everyone likes to carry around cash you know. Ridiculous. At least I got to see the game.

I don't think FAU is the only school that hasn't joined the 21st century. Over the past summer I traveled around much of the country playing in over 35 different stadiums. All different types, Div-1, community colleges, pro, high schools, minor league ball parks, domes. Now because I was a performer I was able to get to get into them for free but I did happen to notice a good number of the college and pro stadiums don't take cards at their concession. And I'm not talking about small places too, Marshal University and the Georgia Dome don't take plastic.

AEA
Go play Intramural Sports! www.fau.edu/campusrec/imsports/
Back to the top

Ticket fiasco

Interesting….I just don't understand why we would have any excuse to keep fans away from the arena. How hard is it to get a phone line and one of those little credit card machines? Not very.
Back to the top

Ticket fiasco

Ticket fiasco

You don't need a phone line. Portable credit card machines use wireless or satellite signals. At the national championship game in Arizona, even the scalpers carried small credit card machines on their belts. 'Kind of scary, I know. :)

Thank God they took plastic in New Orleans. You could wave that little Mastercard Paypass thingy at the machine and walk away. I think Dolphin Stadium has that feature, also.

Another comment about FAU merchandising ….

I was glad to see a small table with FAU shirts and hats for sale - until I saw the prices. $40 for a polo! I know it was Boca, but come on!

The student selling the gear was very friendly, but even he admitted the prices were outrageous and he appeared to sell nothing. The table was gone early in the second half.

Come on FAU, drop the prices and get some free advertising on the backs of your fans.

Back to the top

Ticket fiasco

The reason that they don't take credit cards is that it costs money and I'm sure that they probably just feel that the cost outweigh the demand right now. They aren't required to take credit cards, so they don't. I don't know if it is still the case, but Ticketmaster outlets in record stores and malls used to be cash only, as recently as a few years ago.

That being said, they should NEVER let the fact that someone only has a credit card on them stop them from attending the game. I'm glad that they came to their senses and let you in free. One thing they could do is just take down your CC# and just charge the card back in the ticket office where they have the ability to run cards.
Back to the top

Ticket fiasco

On a few away games, I purchased some merchandise and wanted to keep whatever cash I had in my pocket and decided to use credit - that is exactly what both the Alumni office & Athletic department did, write down my information and later on when they where back in their offices ran the charge through, not to difficult and both parties had what they wanted.

They have the equipment to do it, so there should be no excuses, just a matter of not being prepared which is not good for any business. Not having the equipment set-up at the arena should be no excuse to accept charges, especially if you are selling merchandises - there is always a way.

Back to the top
Control functions: