Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Perkins Cleared, but will he play?

Add topic

The way things are now, who knows…Rex first said red shirting is not an option, but that was before when we had Harris, and Green committed…so there is room now with those two not counting…will see…anyway some blog from Marcus, and Ted:

"On the plus side, FAU freshman guard Xavier Perkins, a St. Andrew?s graduate, has been cleared to play after missing the first 16 games of the season with a heart condition. Walters indicated Perkins may be redshirted this season. But as I write this nearly 90 minutes after the game ended, Perkins is the only player in the arena shooting jump shot after jump shot. I?d ask him if he wants to play this season, but he appears to be in the zone wearing his headphones and listening to his Ipod. However I think his hanging around this late shows he wants to contribute right away"

Palm Beach Post/Marcus Nelson

"PERKINS DILEMMA: After the game Walters revealed that Xavier Perkins has been cleared by doctors to play. A heart condition has left the freshman on the sidelines.

But Walters said he, Perkins and Perkins parents now face a tough choice — whether to redshirt and retain four years of eligibility, or play the remaining 13 games of this season (14 if you include first round of Belt tournament).

Walters noted that Perkins is not in game shape and it would take a while for him to get up to speed. Be interesting to see what happens. ?We want to do what is best for Xavier,? Walters said.

Perkins could help FAU. Not right away, but maybe after four or five games. Realistically, though, the BBs are not going to compete for the Belt title or a spot in the NCAA Tournament this season, so why lose a year? If Perkins is that good, he can pick up a lot of valuable practice time between now and the end of the season, and come into next season as a freshman with a huge head start.

The BBs will need him, since they will be trying to replace DeAndre Rice and Brent Crews."

Sun Sentinel/Ted Hutton
Back to the top

I think both Perkins and Hughley should be red-shirted at this point.
Back to the top

Ted Hutton is pretty sure we are not going to contend for the Sun Belt title...why?? I think we could beat any Sun Belt team on any given night. All we have to do is come together and play well for a tournament.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: