Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Football Banquet this Sunday

Anyone attending the football banquet this weekend ?

If so, get the scoop and bring back to the board ;D
Back to the top

biggest news of the banquet, Angelos said they are looking into, and if everything falls into place, assembling a structure around our new track for the team to play on campus. they are gonna try and make it happen, by the end of this year.
ST MVP- Dewain Akerblom
D MVP- Kris Bartels
O MVP Charles Pierre
Team MVP Aaron Sanchez
Back to the top

That is big news. It seems setting up a Lockhart-type structure around the track would be something that would be relatively easy and inexpensive.
Back to the top

if that really happens whats going to happen to the track team? where will we practice? we haven't even had our own facility for more than 1 month and now we are going to loose it again? please check out what happened at FIU when they tried this idea. They don't have a functioning track anymore and now are in the process of fundraising to build a new one. In the meantime the team doesn't have a place to practice at.
Back to the top

I don't understand the problem. The football team would only use the track/seating for 6 or less home games between Sept and Nov. Historicaly some games have been on Wed and Thurs night. Some of the home games against BCS teams will be at Dolphin stadium. The football team has two practice fields and according to the building schedule, there will be a third. I don't know what FIU uses for a practice field. FAU has alot more land than FIU to use. 850 acres compared to something like 350 acres. More than twice the size.

If you think there is a problem and you are the track coach, do what I do. Complain to the right person, not the board.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Faualum is correct it would only be used for a few games a year and according to Angelos the permanent structure should be in place by 2010. I believe he said 20 to 30 k seating.

Father Leo gave a very interesting analogy or maybe more of a testimonial about his experience with coach Schnellenberger. Of course this is the short of it. He remembers when at the orange bowl you could go to a game and had plenty of room to stretch out and at Louisville the second tier of the stadium was empty and but look at Miami and Louisville now. Don't look at today and where we are but where we will be.

Angelos and Brogan are committed to backing this program and this coach get this done. Brogan mentioned how important the football program is to a school, for its growth not only in Athletics but in academics.

The stadium was the interesting part but I believe he (Angelos) said it could be as early as this season. He also mentioned 10 Mil going into the Arena but that may be part of what has been spent so far, not sure and and not sure if that is the case what the balance would be.
Back to the top

I just looked at a picture of FIU stadium. Some of the temp seating is on the track. I would think it is removed when it has to be. Is that what you are talking about trackcoach? The track has bleachers on it and can't be used? I don't know about any problems with the FIU track team and their use or inablility to use the track.

Brogan and the university just spent megabucks on the new track. I HIGHLY, HIGHLY doubt they will be putting seating on their new track. Those guys are very proud of the track. I am not privy to much info over there but I would guess ALL the seating will be behind the track. The positive: spectators can watch the track meets and the other track teams can have a place to sit and put their stuff. The negative: none that I can think of.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

HUGE POSITIVE: we could play a game on campus this year!
Back to the top

What will the set-up be like?? How many seats can reasonably go around the track?? Will it really be a stadium or more of a thrown together high school look??

These are some of my concerns. I am all for playing on-campus, but I would hate for it to only have seating for 5,000 fans and have the atmosphere of a high school stadium. Unless maybe the plan is to have 1-2 games on campus and see how many people show up and get turned away due to space constraints in order to make a stronger case for the real stadium. GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

What will the set-up be like?? How many seats can reasonably go around the track?? Will it really be a stadium or more of a thrown together high school look??

These are some of my concerns. I am all for playing on-campus, but I would hate for it to only have seating for 5,000 fans and have the atmosphere of a high school stadium. Unless maybe the plan is to have 1-2 games on campus and see how many people show up and get turned away due to space constraints in order to make a stronger case for the real stadium. GO OWLS!!!

I would think that the capacity would have to be 15,000 in order to maintain the mandatory NCAA attendance ;) That being said, thats a lot of temp bleachers.
Back to the top
Control functions: