Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Belt Finals = NCAA's or NIT

Add topic

I know its still a ways off, but im going to be the first to declare that IF we make it to the finals of the Belt, and dont win, we will get into the NIT…

I do feel an at large to the NCAA's is impossible…

So either way, the Belt finals = Post Season for the second time in school history…

1 Reg season game

1 Play-off game

3 Tournament games

Thats all that stands in our way…….

Would be nice to play on national television again, and spank someone this time…….

Back to the top

from your mouth to God's ears… but i can't see an NIT invite AT ALL

we lost to all major opponents at the beginning of the season (ok state, marist, old dominion, unc and ucf)… our only non-conference wins are unf, umkc (at home… where we win every game basically), and long-who-are-they?… NIT is not in the cards, unfortunately

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

It's a nice thought, but there is no way we get an NIT bid. Let's just win the Belt and go to the dance. FAU does not have enough fans (yet) to offer the NIT an attractive reason to be selected. We win the next 5 games and we will start to get a following for sure. Go Owls!!
Back to the top

whats the history? any buddy make nit last year?
Back to the top

Troy made the NIT two years ago (and despite promises of being matched regionally, was sent to Niagra near Buffalo for a first round game). UCF might have goe to the NIT last year or the year before.

Back to the top

South Alabama is the only team that WILL make the NIT without winning the conference tourney being the regular season champ. It's NCAA's or bust for us.
Back to the top

I have to admit that the NIT did cross my mind for about a nanosecond yesterday before reading this post, but then I came to my senses.

Belmont made the NIT last year from the A-Sun, and they were 20-11.

If we win vs. MTSU and on Wed, then get to the SBC tourney final, I think we'll be 19-14. I just don't see three SBC teams going to the dance. Western Kentucky and South Alabama would get into the NIT before we do.

Maybe we can get a few big teams refusing to go to the NIT lol!
Back to the top

GhostOfBuchanan said

1. Belmont made the NIT last year from the A-Sun, and they were 20-11.

2. Western Kentucky and South Alabama would get into the NIT before we do.

Again, i predicate this all on us making it to the FINALS of the SBC…anything short, will not get it…

Respectfully, i think you are all overlooking some things here:

1. Belmont was a bad basketball team, lets call it like it is…if thats what they were looking for, well, enough said…i still have no idea how they got in, must have been that one OOC win…big deal…because they lost to alot of poor teams - period…

2. a. If we lose the Belt in the finals, who would be the likely team to beat us - WKU…who would go to the dance…USA has basically fallen apart as of late - no dramatic story there…WKU hasnt faired much better over the last five games…we have beaten ANY team that would preceed us in a Belt at large…not to mention the momentum that would be evident even getting that far…

2. b. The STORY itself…from rags to riches in progress…picked last, goes to Belt FINALS…Monroe and Rice - the one two combo…Rex Walters as first year head coach of a team picked to finish last wins Belt Coach of the Year Award (which undoubtably would happen given a run to the finals)…add this all up and you have a marketeers dream come true…

2. c. We are entertaining to watch - we SCORE…USA - uh, no…WKU, well maybe, but they survive on mere name more than anything else…

2. d. FAU is the hot team right now…you say Sunbelt and anyone who knows anything knows what FAU has acheived this year…

Last point on overall record:

Winning out would put as at a best record of 20-13 (winning all remaining possible games), 19 - 14 winning all remaining possible games but the finals, and 18-15 by dropping tommorow and the finals…the last record may hold us back, but the first two i respectfully doubt it…20-13 wouldnt matter, because we would be in the dance, but i think given everything 19-14 gets us to the NIT NO PROBLEM…

we'll see what happens! :)
Back to the top
Control functions: