Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Your chances

Tell me what you think your chances are at defeating USF and explain why. I'm very curious to hear from the FAU community what they think the odds really are.
Back to the top

Your chances

I think FAU has a good shot at defeating USF. FAU brings back a strong defense and the QB play should be much improved from last year. The offensive line will also be solid and should have nice depth for probably the first time in the history of the program. I also think there are a number of guys in this years recruiting class who can step in and make an impact right away. I am specifically refering to the running game.

At this point that is really all that I can say. I will have a lot more once the season begins and I have a better idea of both teams rosters.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Your chances

Why? Because your team can go out and beat five top ten teams then lose to 1AA Bethune Cookman.
Back to the top

Your chances

Your chances

... because our school actually is in South Florida

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

Your chances

Way to early to give you an accurate assessment or prediction for that matter.

Many in Owl land expect a break-out year for 2007, yet I am not sure what that mean just yet. We still have a very tough OC schedule and the SBC has proved that anybody can win on any given Saturday.

Our defense played some great games last year, yet also show weakness that need to be address in the off-season. There will be some new faces this year, but unproven and hard to gauge how they will preform in game time situations. The defensive unit does hold the potential to becoming a dominating type of defense,will it be this year, to soon to tell.

Offensively, finding consistency will be key. Still a lot of questions to be answers on this side of the ball starting with the QB, Rusty Smith. He was thrown to the wolfs last year and took him a while to make adjustment, but played rather well toward the end of the season and showed flashes of being a leader as well. However, he has to show me more maturity this season if he will remain number one, they are others in the wing that will put pressure on him to preform (which is a good thing). He now has one more year under his belt with the offensive system, giving him a major advantage over the newcomers and we all know that Schenlly likes his veterans (experience & Leadership).

The running game was ok and felt could have be better, then again with the shuffling of the OL because of injuries, which
had a lot to do with an offensive that lack consistency and had to rely on the QB more then we should of had to last year. This year could be the first time that we will be able to say that we have stabilized the OL with experience and depth that has been lacking, which hopefully will relate to a more consistent offense.

We do have many new players that will get a chance to step-up and help bring our offense to a new level, but again it will remain an unproven unit till the season starts and some of those players gain that valuable game time experience - if some of the pieces fall into place, this could be a very good year for the offense, IMO this unit will need one more year to fully develop. We should see a unit that is much improved from previous year.

Our not so special teams, just might have gotten a major boost, but this is a unit that needs to get better and quick if we will be contenders instead of pretenders.

What we have is a team full of potential in every areas, and the question then becomes, can this team become a solid team. Having the potential is one thing, but bringing all the pieces together is another thing. I am very excited to see how this team has processed and develop since last year.

Ask me the same question as the season draws closer and I should have a much better feel for the team.
Back to the top

Your chances

Exit39 said

Why? Because your team can go out and beat five top ten teams then lose to 1AA Bethune Cookman.

And the stat of the week, which ought to keep this guy SILENT if he is smart, goes to :

Exit39!

Back to the top

Your chances

Don't know if we will beat USF or not, but I have said that this is the year we will win an OOC game. I believe we can beat one of the following: USF, Oklahoma State, Minnesota or Kentucky. We will not beat Florida, of course. We can win one of those other OOC games because our defense is very good. Defense can win games. We do, however, need to produce some offense which was our challenge last year. If we can produce some quality play from the QB position and generate some offense, we have an opportunity to be a pretty good team. Talk is cheap. We have to produce on the field. If we happen to lose to USF but win one of the previous mentioned OOC games, I'm a happy camper. The next 2 years are huge for the FAU program. The great thing about the USF game is WE have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Go Owls!!
Back to the top

Your chances

Exit39 said

If you can find the last time that we lost to a IAA team then you deserve a reward. It was certainly long before I ever came to USF, about 7 or 8 years ago I believe.
Back to the top

Your chances

thebrazenbull said

Exit39 said

If you can find the last time that we lost to a IAA team then you deserve a reward. It was certainly long before I ever came to USF, about 7 or 8 years ago I believe.

USF didn't beat 5 top ten teams. They beat #9 Louisville in 2005 and #7 WVU in 2006. That is only 2 top ten teams and they didn't lose to Bethune-Cookman as a 1-A team. USF has been extremely successful since moving to division 1-A. Knocking them for losing to Bethune-Cookman as a 1-AA squad is ridiculous. We might as well knock FAU for losing to Slippery Rock. It makes absolutely no sense at this stage in the development of the programs. Hell, Florida lost to Mercer 4 times and Stetson 1 time in their first five seasons of playing football. I guess the mighty Gators aren't so mighty after all based on exit39's rationale.

That said, this could be FAU's year. USF seems to play strong against top competition and not play as well against less formidible teams. That could be in FAU's favor.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top
Control functions: