Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Practice Report 3/31 on 2 New Faces

I went to day and checked out a couple of players of interest…

Grant:

Been alot of talk about him…

1. Strong arm
2. Quick set up and release
3. Threw decent passing route drills with receivers, but his accuracy i question - alot of incompletes
4. Couldnt tell his footwork, speed, or agility on the ground for sure, but it looks like he could be quick
5. Did not run any plays during last session of practice (Smith, Clayton, CRANOR…Van Camp (a couple) in that order

LeStar Jean:

1. Good - period
2. Good speed
3. Great hands
4. Good height - its not padded on the roster
5. Good agility

Couldnt find anything wrong with him…excited he is on the team…he is a "go up and get it option" for sure…

Btw he smoked one for like 25 yeards then broke lose on would have been a TD in game play during offense vs defense…

Not new, but of interest;

ELI CRANOR…i like this guy…get out to see him if you get the chance…he appears to be a very accurate passer…good arm strength as well…his only downfall is his height…he ran some very effective pass plays at the end of practice…looks like he has some potential…
Back to the top

Hi Florida_Owl,

I'm new to FAU Owl football having moved to Boca from Bethesda, MD eight months ago. I love college football so I've taken to following the Owls this season. Shnellenberger is a legend in the game, so I figured if you're going to follow a team, it may as well be one he is coaching. I saw the Troy and FIU games and was impressed with a program as young as the Owls are at this time. Schnellenberger definitely has something to work with this year after watching the practice today.

Regarding the QBs (I don't really know them and had to look them up their numbers on the roster after I got home today), FAU definitely has some tall ones. All of them except for Cranor (like you said in your post) are tall. This definitely fits the mold of past Schnellenberger QBs at Miami and Louisville. Based on pure throwing form, both Cranor and Grant are the best. Both QBs threw nice spirals, especially Grant on the deep ball. He was putting it right on the money with the receivers in stride 35-40 yards downfield. I saw two incompletes by Grant, but I heard the receivers coach tell Grant the receiver ran the wrong route. I like the new receivers coach. He has great energy and was working hard with the receivers teaching them how to run crisp routes and how to beat the DBs at the hand check game.

Yeah, I don't know why Grant didn't run any plays in the main session. Cranor stood out to me in the main session. I know Smith is the starter, but IMHO Cranor throws a much better ball (form and accuracy).

The only real thing I saw that FAU doesn't seem to really have are any real big offensive linemen. I'm assuming some are hurt. The out of conference schedule is brutal and again, IMHO, FAU needs a big, solid line to protect the QB in Schnellenberger's offense. Last year in the Troy and FIU games, FAU played well, but what stood out was the lack of size on the line.

I'm looking forward to the new season. I sure hope FAU gets a better stadium. I'm not trying to put the program down, but Lockhart is a DII/DIII stadium. The program needs a good stadium to go along with a legendary coach and a program on the rise.
Back to the top

Welcome to the board and good insights. Yes we do need a stadium and hopefully we will have it the not too distant future.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Thats what I posted on the other thread. It seems we are fielding another small line like 2005. Schellenberger must know what he is doing. I don't get it. Other programs have no trouble finding good 300 pounders for the OL. We recruit 250 lb linemen.
I hope this works out. I know we have a few big guys but they are in short supply.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

I was impressed with Willie Rose yesterday and I am keeping my fingers cross that the injury bug has moved on, because he can be the FB that we need to replace Sanchez. Solid blocker and can run the ball better then Sanchez, IMO.

My overall feeling is that the players have worked very hard in the off-season and felt that the players are closer as a team and you could feel a more define intensity then the previous two years. They are bigger.

Rusty to me looked sharp and has definitely separated himself from Clayton. I can see Cranor pushing Clayton for the back-up spot. You have to feel for Clayton thought, loses his starting spot to injury, then could find himself on the outside looking in as he falls on the depth chart :o

Interesting juggling on the from line with some players, especially seeing Wischenfski (our biggest recruit yet, next to Stinson & Givens) lined-up at center, could be to bring depth to that position if Pairs is not a go.

Can't wait to see the first scrimmage game 8-)
Back to the top

Bytor said

I was impressed with Willie Rose yesterday and I am keeping my fingers cross that the injury bug has moved on, because he can be the FB that we need to replace Sanchez. Solid blocker and can run the ball better then Sanchez, IMO.

My overall feeling is that the players have worked very hard in the off-season and felt that the players are closer as a team and you could feel a more define intensity then the previous two years. They are bigger.

Rusty to me looked sharp and has definitely separated himself from Clayton. I can see Cranor pushing Clayton for the back-up spot. You have to feel for Clayton thought, loses his starting spot to injury, then could find himself on the outside looking in as he falls on the depth chart :o

Interesting juggling on the from line with some players, especially seeing Wischenfski (our biggest recruit yet, next to Stinson & Rivera) lined-up at center, could be to bring depth to that position if Pairs is not a go.

Can't wait to see the first scrimmage game 8-)

Who is Rivera? The only Rivera I see on the roster is Wilfredo, a WR. I don't remember him being talked about as a top recruit. Was he?
Back to the top

Oops, I meant, Jarvis Givens.

I'll modifiy my earlier post, sorry about the confusion.
Back to the top

Two names from the past, players that have been forgotten in the mix of things and both names being mentioned at yesterdays practice & today's in Marcus Nelson article, check it out.

Edgecomb & Walker, both could fight their way back into the mix if any current players slip-up even just a bit, these guys appear to be hungry and ready to play. Walker is one player I know I lost sight of, focusing mostly on Rose as the possible featured FB, but now will have to pay extra attention to the battle for the FB position that will surely ensue. This could help solidify the FB position while adding depth, both could prove to be solid players.

Edgecomb, forgotten because we seem to have a gluttony of backs. Floyd is still in the mixs of thing and looking good as well, we still have Charles, BJ ( looking good, looked likes he found hands to hold-onto the ball - after being hit) and ……

This will be a very exciting spring & fall period and should bring a much more settled sense then we had to start a football season then the previous two years.
Back to the top

connorluper said

Hi Florida_Owl,

I'm new to FAU Owl football having moved to Boca from Bethesda, MD eight months ago. I love college football so I've taken to following the Owls this season. Shnellenberger is a legend in the game, so I figured if you're going to follow a team, it may as well be one he is coaching. I saw the Troy and FIU games and was impressed with a program as young as the Owls are at this time. Schnellenberger definitely has something to work with this year after watching the practice today.

Regarding the QBs (I don't really know them and had to look them up their numbers on the roster after I got home today), FAU definitely has some tall ones. All of them except for Cranor (like you said in your post) are tall. This definitely fits the mold of past Schnellenberger QBs at Miami and Louisville. Based on pure throwing form, both Cranor and Grant are the best. Both QBs threw nice spirals, especially Grant on the deep ball. He was putting it right on the money with the receivers in stride 35-40 yards downfield. I saw two incompletes by Grant, but I heard the receivers coach tell Grant the receiver ran the wrong route. I like the new receivers coach. He has great energy and was working hard with the receivers teaching them how to run crisp routes and how to beat the DBs at the hand check game.

Yeah, I don't know why Grant didn't run any plays in the main session. Cranor stood out to me in the main session. I know Smith is the starter, but IMHO Cranor throws a much better ball (form and accuracy).

The only real thing I saw that FAU doesn't seem to really have are any real big offensive linemen. I'm assuming some are hurt. The out of conference schedule is brutal and again, IMHO, FAU needs a big, solid line to protect the QB in Schnellenberger's offense. Last year in the Troy and FIU games, FAU played well, but what stood out was the lack of size on the line.

I'm looking forward to the new season. I sure hope FAU gets a better stadium. I'm not trying to put the program down, but Lockhart is a DII/DIII stadium. The program needs a good stadium to go along with a legendary coach and a program on the rise.

Welcome "aboard" Conner…glad to have you…i think most of the others covered your comments well…

i wanted to add that i agree with you on Cranor…he's the sleeper at QB…and, like you, i woudnt be surprised if he doesnt get some time ahead of Smith at some point this year…his accuracy was quite evident…

i remeber when he was signed that some mentioned "Schnellenberger snuck into Arkansas and came away with Eli Cranor"…i think he flew under alot of programs radar, and his height may have hurt him justa bit…but the kid can throw…

they have worked on Rusty's delivery quite a bit…you ahould have seen it before hand…it was more dramatic a sidearm take off than now…in fact, a member of the media nick-named him "The Javelin"

Again, welcome aboard… :)
Back to the top

Bytor said

I was impressed with Willie Rose yesterday.

I liked what i saw of him as well…he looked good!

Bytor said

Interesting juggling on the from line with some players, especially seeing Wischenfski (our biggest recruit yet, next to Stinson & Givens) lined-up at center, could be to bring depth to that position if Pairs is not a go.

Honestly, i dont know how much Nick Paris will start/play…IMO he has lost some serious ground to Matlock, especially since he has gotten bigger…Matlock is a bull…hes quicker and much more mobile, especially in complex run block schemes…i guess we will have to wait and see…but somehow i dont see Paris so "solid" at the starting spot anymore…

i alos wonder how long it will be until he is injured AGAIN… ::)
Back to the top
Control functions: