Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Pre-season breakdown

I am sick of hearing about Davenport-gate. It is time to talk football. I want to know thoughts on how you see the team for the upcoming season. This is basically like the breakdowns we always do after games only now we have a brand new spring version. Feel free to mention strengths, weaknesses, and hell throw in a grade if you want. I am leaving a blank template.

OL

WR/TE

QB

RB

DL

LB

DB

K/P

Final Thoughts

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Pre-season breakdown

OL
I like the size and the fact that the team will be returning some experienced starters even after losing a few guys. The O-line should be very improved in the fall and I expect big things and hopefully a respectable running attack. This should be the best line that we have seen in years as long as the big boys stay healthy.

WR/TE
Depth at TE is key and we seem to be getting some good spring play out of the WRs. I am cautiously optimistic.

QB
Rusty seems to be on point and solid play from the WRs will only make his job easier. He will only be as good as the offensive line and I think they will give him the support he needs to make plays. I like that we have some nice depth at QB and I think Clayton still has potential to make some noise come fall.

RB
On paper everything points to a breakout year for these guys. However, they haven't performed too well in the spring. Pierre could be set for a 1000 yard season, but he is going to be pushed by a number of other gusy. I like that we have added some much needed size and now this team has a stable of talented backs. Like the QB play, RB success depends on the play of the OL. If the OL performs this could be a big year for the RBs.

DL
Pinnick is the highlight. After only registering 12 sacks last year, the DL needs to step up and play much better. It is still a question mark for me at this stage in the game.

LB
The LB core is very solid. Lights out play last year and the return of Cergile Sincere and others means that we can expect solid play from the LBs.

DB
Bartels is the highlight of this group. He plays full speed and is willing to lay a lick on people. He will be the key to this group. The defensive backfield needs some improvement. It isn't enough just to have speed, size is also extremely important when going up against big WRs from the BCS conferences. The DBs lack size. However, some of the recruits have nice size. They might need to step in early and make some plays for a fairly soft secondary.

K/P
I don't have any insight here.

Final Thoughts
The talent is there, health will be an issue. If the team stays healthy, I like FAUs chances to make some noise against non-conf. opponents and even make a run at the SBC title. Most of the pieces of the puzzle are in place for a big year.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Pre-season breakdown

Pre-season breakdown

P/K we will have a great punter in Groody…and better advantage at winniung the filed position battle - which will happen again…but the LAM fiasco that happened last year wont ;) k, i think Warley has been practicing pretty hard…he will be better…

LB awesome…

QB improved…still out how much, but:

WR MUCH improved, but could take a few games to get warmed up…we will not only have the deep threat, which will open up trhe running and short game, but also enough guys to run some four out sets more effectively as well…

OL should be solid, and Hopefully can open up some holes for our "probable" new TB - Stinson, and return of much anticipated FB - Rose…but he will more than likely be an out of the backfield catcher, and blocker…heck we might even see a three back set or two! That would thorw our competition in the league for a loop…

DL took a hit with Hunter probably never coming back based on Schnelleys comment, and E.J. Jones not making grades and not even being enrolled…but we have depth and some new guys who can step in and fil the holes…possibly even take it a step further…TBD…

Secondary solid…but one hole to fill for the nickle back…who that is is still TBD…
Back to the top

Pre-season breakdown

since when did Savidge not make grades and not enroll. he is startign right now along side jervonte jackson. he has been practicing all spring and hasnt missed a practice. and he is currently enrolled in school. the only missign will be hunter and EJ Jones which out for the spring due to grades but should be back for the fall
Back to the top

Pre-season breakdown

i was wrong and misquoted the report...it was EJ Jones...i fixed the error...thanks for pointing it out!
Back to the top
Control functions: