Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Attendance Points/Rewards?

Add topic

I was reading in a recent Sports Illustrated article how The Ohio State University has this system where, as they enter the arena, students who attend games swipe their student card through this machine that keeps track of how many games they went to and for what sport.

At the end of the year, those points are tabulated and OSU has a prize system of some sort.

So in essence, this system rewards students for attending games on a regular basis.

Does anyone know – Has this ever been tried/suggested at FAU? It seems relatively cheap to do and in my mind would have great results for attendance because, let's face it, at this point we still need to attract people with giveaways. FAU Basketball has become popular on campus, but we're still not packing the Burrow just yet.

I can just imagine that you swipe your Owl card at each game. If you attend all games in a certain sport, you get an "FAU ULTIMATE FAN" shirt, one of a kind, only for this. Also, you could be entered in a drawing for something truly worth fighting for, like a jet ski. A year's supply of Pepsi, while that's an awesome prize, could be a consolation prize awarded by drawing for people who attended, say, 50% or more games.

What do you guys think?
Back to the top

it is a great idea in theory… not sure how something like that would work logistically at a cost-conscious school like FAU (or any mid-major program) but you should send that in (with more detail of course) to craig angelos and see what he says…

http://fausports.cstv.com/ot/FAU_ask_the_AD.html

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Forget giving away Pepsi. FAU needs to sell 89 drinks per student (all 26,000) to pay off you-know-who. :)

Good idea to try, though.
Back to the top

I've read somewhere about a point system like that. At larger schools i think the prize is football tickets. But I like the idea, I wanna jetski….or another pepsi red zone shirt to add to my collection.

AEA
Go play Intramural Sports! www.fau.edu/campusrec/imsports/
Back to the top

fauowl09 said

it is a great idea in theory… not sure how something like that would work logistically at a cost-conscious school like FAU (or any mid-major program) but you should send that in (with more detail of course) to craig angelos and see what he says…

http://fausports.cstv.com/ot/FAU_ask_the_AD.html

It's understandable that FAU would be cost-conscious – from what I understand, we nearly folded up before President Catanese only to explode and expand to all the partner/satellite campuses.

However, if FAU continues to pinch pennies on new facilities and programs, they will be mediocre and we'll never attract the picky, prestige-conscious Merit Scholars that universities fight over. When something is built cheaply, with no student input, it's really obvious.

Only in the last couple of years, with Brogan at the helm, has FAU felt like a consumer-driven school. He understands that college is becoming more integrated with non-academic amenities (leisure pool, game room, shopping, sit-down restaurants, private apartments, two-story gyms, etc)

My hope for FAU is to ultimately have the Administration hold "Town Hall"-esque meetings and ask students, "What do you want on campus? More housing? More dining? More school spirit items? What?"

Recently, there has been a dicussion on Facebook about what students would like to see in the Student Union (formerly the University Center). A lot of great ideas have been thrown out there (I've heard they're going to put in a Game Board Rental Center by Fall semester) and hopefully they'll all come to fruition (I especially like the idea about a room that continually runs movies throughout the day so you can sit in on them between classes)
Back to the top

we nearly folded up before President Catanese

This is the first I have heard of this. ???

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top
Control functions: