Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Minnesota Finally On (The) Board...

Greetings Owl Fans,

I'm a University of Minnesota grad and fan that actually registered for this board several weeks before FAU travelled to Minneapolis two years ago… but my registration was approved the day after the game.

At this time I would estimate that we will bring at least several thousand fans down for the game – the total number will depend on how many travel over from the Gulf Coast as there are several large enclaves there, especially around Naples and Ft. Myers.

I'm a bit disappointed that the game will be at Dolphins Stadium as I'm tired of playing games off campus in pro stadiums (we play at the Metrodome) and prefer the game day atmosphere on campus (even when there isn't a game day atmosphere). We are building a new stadium on campus that will open in 2009, the first non-erector set college stadium (think CT, Louisville) to be built in decades.

We have a new coach in his first college head coaching position, entire new staff, new O and D systems and most important, a new attitude (seriously!). We graduated our only experienced QB, All American TE, best WR and several OL. We have most of the defense returning which last year was mediocre and paper thin but will be improved this year. We had an early Spring practice (so the new staff could see what they have) with the Spring game being held last Saturday to mixed results.

I'll be by the board frequently with questions about the area and game & will try to answer any questions that you may have about the Gophers. I'm one of the few that actually likes 2 for 1 games as it gives us a chance to travel to new places. Later.

Back to the top

I wonder if the Minnesota game or South Florida game will have the highest attendance of the year. I expect over twenty thousand for both. I bet Lockhart sells out for the USF game.
Back to the top

Welcome aboard. I am very familiar with Golden Gopher football and you are right, the program is making some big changes. This is going to be an exciting year for both FAU and Minnesota.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Welcome to the board…

regarding those players that were arrested but haven't been charged in the rape case…
were any of them slated to be starters this year? have they been suspended?
Back to the top

Exit39 said

I wonder if the Minnesota game or South Florida game will have the highest attendance of the year. I expect over twenty thousand for both. I bet Lockhart sells out for the USF game.

That WOULD be awesome.

Hopefully it will be better attendance than the FIU games,
especially in light of the fact that USF football is starting to take off (from what I hear)

I know I'M definitely attending the FAU/USF game – UF game too if I can somehow get tickets!

P.S. Welcome to the board, dwginne.
Back to the top

USF game is a distinct possibly for a sell out, though i doubt it would be a complete sell out

the minnesota game i PROMISE will not be 20,000 (it's at dolphin stadium, so a sell out would be much higher than 20,000)… anyone remember oklahoma state a few years back? a big 12 team brought as muich fans as the FAU-FIU game to dolphin stadium… minneosta fans will show up at about the same rate as oklahoma state fans

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

The registration process has been changed and doesn't take as long any more - sorry about last year.

I would rather play the Minn. game at Lockhart myself, I know it's not the greatest facilities in the world, but beats playing at Dolphin Stadium anyday. Game time atmoshpere is so much better at Lockhart.

I realize that bringing Minn. at Lockhart would be embarassing, but heck it is our home field for now. I just think that Dolphin Stadium takes away to much away from a great game time atmoshpere that exist at Lockhart.

Back to the top

Thanks for the greetings – now to figure out the ins and outs of another new board. Am I correct that there is only topic view and no actual thread view? No problem with the registration delay two years ago, I was hung over anyway…

The three accused players were immediately suspended from the team (the day before the Spring game) and will remain suspended until all legal and University action is complete which may take some time.

Alex Daniels was a first team DE through most of the Spring. He is a Rivals 4 star who was switched from LB to RB to DE the two years he played under Coach Mason. He is a true junior with a natural ability and body who was finally starting to "get it".

Keith Massey is a redshirt Soph CB who played mostly in the nickel and dime coverages last year and was burned badly several times. He was making progress this year learning from DC Everett Withers (former DB coach with the Tenn. Titans). Massey would play this year but how much and where was still to be determined. He and Daniels went to high school together along with Massey's half brother, D.J. Jones who is one of the team leaders.

E.J. Jones (ours) started the first game at RB last year but was injured – it's not clear if he applied for and received a medical hardship waiver or not, so he is either a RS frosh or a true soph. He started early last year as several RBs were in Coach Mason's doghouse but was buried on the depth chart as the year went on and was the fourth RB this Spring.

The three roomed together but from what I know and what I've heard from sources that I trust, none of the three were problem players in the past. We will just have to let this situation play itself out and hope the right things happen for the right reasons.

I'd rather play at Lockhart Stadium too – we had to open at Kent State last year (Big 10 / MAC agreement) and most high school stadiums would be an improvement over that experience…
Back to the top

I'm actually glad we're playing at Lockhart, the field of play at dolphins stadium just feels so far away from the crowds.

Btw, how many do you guys usually get for FAU-FIU games anyways?
Back to the top

Proud FAU Alum and season ticket holder since Slippery Rock here. The FIU/FAU (Shula Bowl) game attendance could be much better. FIU's fans aren't very consistent. I even attend the FAU/FIU games when we play them on their turf. last few times, it looked like we had more fans than they did. I understand that sometimes we play them during the Thanksgiving break, so the student body might be home, but come on…we manage to bring a few thousand. Last year's game was definitely all FAU in attendance. FIU definitely doesn't pull their weight.

2006: Dolphin Stadium (FAU Home)
attendance:9655 -most siting on the FAU side

2005:FIU Stadium
Attnd:15322

2004:Home
Attnd:16262

2003:FIU Stadium
Attnd:9288

2002:Home
Attnd:10224
Back to the top
Control functions: