Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Rec Facility

Add topic

Looks like it is going to be one serious facility…even phase one at 38,000 square feet is quite a deal! ill be ponying up the $200 alumni rate :)

on the fundraising note he mentions, wish they could figure out a way to roll this all together with innovation village and take advatange of economies of scale…….

Off of fausports.com ask the AD:

Question:

"With regard to the new Wellness Center that's being… if it starts construction in October this year, when do we expect it be open? Spring 2008?

I've heard there will be a Phase I and a Phase II. If Phase I is done in Spring 2008, when would Phase II be completed? Or is it going to be built altogether now?

And lastly, the jogging track that will be built there – will it be suspended/on the 2nd floor looking down onto the basketball court or will it be on the same floor?"

Response from Director of Campus Recreation Eric Hawkes

"Craig forwarded your inquiry about the new Recreation & Fitness Center as I am responsible all recreation facilities and programs on campus.

The Rec Center is expected to break ground in October or November 2007. The construction timeline is approximately 11 months so we expect to open the facility early fall 2008.

The facility will be built in phases. The cost of phase one is approximately $11 million which will provide us with roughly 38,000 sq. ft. The complete facility is expected to be 140,000 sq. ft. Currently, there are no funds available or identified for phase two. It will most likely be constructed through fundraising efforts.

Due to the increased rise of construction costs over the past several years, the facility has undergone some changes in order to meet our budget. One of the changes was the elimination of the running track in phase one. We have not identified if and/or how an indoor running track will be incorporated into phase two at this time. However, it is still an element we hope to add to the facility at a later time.

Below is a brief description of the facility?

Recreation & Fitness Center Project

The NEW Recreation & Fitness Center is an $11 million, 38,000 sq. ft. recreation facility that will include the following: o 6,500 sq. ft. Fitness Center (40+ pieces of cardio equipment, two circuit training units and free weight area)
o two multipurpose rooms designed for yoga, pilates, aerobics, spinning and more
o two Indoor basketball courts
o Volleyball courts
o Badminton courts
o Social corridor with group seating, activity viewing and more
o Men?s & Women?s health club style locker rooms

Facility will be located at the Northeast entrance of the Breezeway along the new Lee Street

Please let me know if you have any additional questions about the project or any other recreation-related questions.

Best regards…Eric"

Back to the top

Rec Facility

Rec Facility

Florida_Owl said

Looks like it is going to be one serious facility…even phase one at 38,000 square feet is quite a deal!

The complete facility is expected to be 140,000 sq. ft.

'And lastly, the jogging track that will be built there – will it be suspended/on the 2nd floor looking down onto the basketball court or will it be on the same floor?"

That place is going to be PACKED when it comes to campus.

It's good to compare this to existing places, like UCF's.

Here's UCF's: http://www.rec.ucf.edu/Facilities.htm

And their suspended jogging track:
http://www.rec.ucf.edu/images/FC6.jpg

Hopefully ours will be better.

The only thing… badminton? Who plays badminton?

Back to the top

Rec Facility

owlcountry said

Florida_Owl said

Looks like it is going to be one serious facility…even phase one at 38,000 square feet is quite a deal!

The complete facility is expected to be 140,000 sq. ft.

'And lastly, the jogging track that will be built there – will it be suspended/on the 2nd floor looking down onto the basketball court or will it be on the same floor?"

That place is going to be PACKED when it comes to campus.

It's good to compare this to existing places, like UCF's.

Here's UCF's: http://www.rec.ucf.edu/Facilities.htm

And their suspended jogging track:
http://www.rec.ucf.edu/images/FC6.jpg

Hopefully ours will be better.

The only thing… badminton? Who plays badminton?

ha ha ha…i believe the folks from areas surrounded by the indian ocean have interest in that particular "sport" :)
Back to the top
Control functions: