Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

This whole Houston Nutt text message thing

Add topic

If you hadn't seen this:

Arkansas football coach Houston Nutt said in an open letter Tuesday that Razorback fans who obtained records regarding his school-issued cell phone and suggested he had an improper relationship with a woman were spreading "unfounded gossip" that had hurt his wife.

Cell phone records obtained by fans and media under Arkansas' Freedom of Information Act showed that Nutt exchanged text messages with the cell phone of a female television news anchor more than 1,000 times over a six-week period, including once just 19 minutes before the start of the Capital One Bowl on Jan. 1.

Do you think Schnelly even has a cell phone? And if he did, would he even know how to text someone?
Back to the top

ha ha, i doubt he's whipping out a sidekick to text all of his friends, but i've heard that it's becoming a very integral recruitment tool. Sending new recruits texts every week to make sure they are always thinking about FAU, etc..

it's pretty scary that those fans were able to get all of that info because he has a state issued phone! I bet every coach in the NCAA asked if they can just get an expense check for their personal phone after reading that story!
Back to the top

Right after posting that I read this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2841603
Back to the top

Text messages might get deleted

The NCAA is considering a ban on text messages between recruits and coaches, a move opposed by some.

By MANNY NAVARRO
[email protected]

Like most teenagers, Miami Booker T. Washington High School junior Brandon Harris loves to keep in contact with all of his friends by sending them text messages on his Nextel cellular phone.

But soon, if the NCAA Division I Management Council gets it way, Harris will not be able to use text messages to stay in touch with some of the newest friends he has made – the college football coaches recruiting him from Miami, Florida, Ohio State, Oklahoma and Mississippi.

The council voted this week to eliminate the use of text messaging in college recruiting, a move that could eliminate a valuable new form of communication between coaches and recruits. The council believes the messages are inappropriate contact.

A decision will be made April 26 when the NCAA Board of Directors meets for a final vote.

''It's intruding on their lives and creating inappropriate relationships with coaches,'' Anna Chappell, a former University of Arizona basketball player and chair of the Division I student-athlete advisory committee, said in a statement on the NCAA's website. ``If you don't stop it now, what roads are you going to have to cross later on?''

But some coaches and recruits in South Florida said Wednesday that they would like to keep text messaging legal.

''It's a great way to keep in contact with coaches instead of waiting for mail to come in,'' said Harris, a 5-10, 185-pound junior cornerback, who was recently named one of Scout.com's Top 100 national recruits.

``It's very useful for setting up official visits and unofficial visits. To me, getting a text shows you how interested a school is in you and vice-versa. Without it, I don't think we'll get to know those colleges and coaches as well as we could.''

Unlike restrictions on phone calls and in-home visits, there are currently no limitations on text messaging. The ban was proposed by Ivy League officials because they feared it was infringing on privacy and costing recruits too much money to maintain.

''I got a few texts here and there to have me call coaches,'' said cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke, who signed with the Hurricanes in February. ``But it wasn't a big deal. I wanted to make the calls. I thought it helped me to get to know the coaches better.''

Both Harris and Van Dyke said they received between 25 and 30 text messages a day from colleges.

Frank Haith and Katie Meier, UM's men's and women's basketball coaches, said getting to know athletes better is the best benefit of texting.

''To me, when you send a kid a text and you don't get a response, you know they're not interested,'' Haith said. ``It cuts down on a lot of time and effort you can waste.''

If passed, the new rules would take effect in August.

''Obviously coaches are so accustomed to text messaging that initially there's going to be some withdrawal,'' FIU football coach Mario Cristobal said. ``This is really going to change things. The NCAA has its reasons for it and as coaches we'll just have to adjust.''

Miami Herald sportswriter Pete Pelegrin contributed to this report.
Back to the top

consider it gone...its over...and i like the notion for us...for obvious reasons...but we traditionally are much more laid back in recruiting..i think some of the guys we have are simply because we dont brow beat recruits with a constant barrage of messaging etc...there is no need for that IMO...
Back to the top
Control functions: