Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU in the outside world

Add topic

Thought it might be interesting to post your experiences when the subject of FAU comes up with people outside of the university. If they see your FAU license plate, or your FAU shirt, or it comes up in conversation that you are/were a student at FAU, what have people said about our school?

I'll kick it off:

(When discussing college choices with local high school students)
Me: "Where are you thinking about going for college?"
Them: "I'm really hoping to go to UF or Florida State."
Me: "Have you considered FAU?"
Them : *squirming* "Yeah but"
Me: "It's a great school. It really is."
Them: "I just wanted to get away. I don't want o live in this area anymore with people from high school and my parents."

= further evidence that FAU should concentrate more on nabbing kids from the Panhandle/Tallahassee/Gainesville than trying to get Boca/Boynton/Delray seniors.

(when helping a woman put something in her trunk and noticing her Lynn U sticker)
Me: "Oh, do you teach at Lynn?"
Her: "I used to, yeah. Do you go to college?"
Me: "Yes ma'am. FAU."
Her: "That's a good school!"

On the Facebook community called "FAU Class of 2011":

"I'm so excited. FAU was definitely my first choice and I can't wait to get down into the sun!"
"i want to come to fau soooo bad but i have to transfer my sophomore year…"
"i really wanna go there it looks soo nice"
"I'm so pumped for FAU"

Also, I've gone to dinner in Boca and seen FAU shirts. I go to Publix and see the Owl head stickers in back windows. I went to the movies tonight and someone was wearing a REAL FANS WEAR RED shirt.

Things are definitely looking up.
Back to the top

FAU in the outside world

Most common question as of last football season:
"Oh FAU?! Arn't you the guys that got in the fight with Miami?"

>:(

AEA
Go play Intramural Sports! www.fau.edu/campusrec/imsports/
Back to the top

FAU in the outside world

I have heard that a few times too Tuba.

The thing I get a kick out of is when I'm talking to people (through work) that are FIU grads and I try to get a friendly jab conversation about how we're rivals and all that, I get nothing. Seems as though that rivalry is gonna need some time to grow a bit more.
Back to the top

FAU in the outside world

TeamBeer said

I have heard that a few times too Tuba.

The thing I get a kick out of is when I'm talking to people (through work) that are FIU grads and I try to get a friendly jab conversation about how we're rivals and all that, I get nothing. Seems as though that rivalry is gonna need some time to grow a bit more.

I have a feeling that most people at FIU – well, both schools – do not even know we have a rivalry going.

My hope is that the fresh meat coming in Fall 2007 will be cognizant of the importance of school pride and athletics attendance grows accordingly. Even if you have 2000 fans on average at basketball games, things would improve.

I'm a little ashamed that FGCU can get 4000 people out to a basketball game and we can't – and they're Division II.
Back to the top

FAU in the outside world

ah well there isn't much else to do over there. we've got a lot of entertainment to compete against on this coast. All of the sports teams in S. Fla have that problem.
Back to the top

FAU in the outside world

FAU in the outside world

i havent gotten that one, but i do get alot of ineterest when i start spouting off about the stdium, the basketball teams recent run, and ther overall program moving forward...people usually are very interested to hear more...i always talk to people who have a shirt on, or who look at ones i wear inquisitively...conversations are always positive... :)
Back to the top

FAU in the outside world

What's worse in my opinion is when someone tells me they are an FAU grad and they have no idea about the good things going on at the University (not only in athletics) Our alumni association needs just as much support as our football team!
Back to the top

FAU in the outside world

Great point, TeamBeer! The Alumni Association must really need money, because they do not convey much information. The alumni base is so important to the development and support of the athletic department (and FAU in general), and as an alumnus, I must say, I do not hear that much from them.
Back to the top

FAU in the outside world

fauowl said

Great point, TeamBeer! The Alumni Association must really need money, because they do not convey much information. The alumni base is so important to the development and support of the athletic department (and FAU in general), and as an alumnus, I must say, I do not hear that much from them.

The Alumni Association, like everything else at FAU, is hopefully undergoing a renovation of sorts.

I'd like to see them push the "Owl Country" idea a little more. I think it's something we can really get behind.
Back to the top

FAU in the outside world

I have a feeling the AA will be more visual once the Lighthouse is built.

AEA
Go play Intramural Sports! www.fau.edu/campusrec/imsports/
Back to the top
Control functions: