Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sutton to GA State (maybe)

Add topic

If anyone had their hopes up for Sutton returning to FAU, its over. He's going to GA State in Atlanta if he is academically eligible at the end of the summer.

http://www.ocala.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070421/SPORTS/204210367/1368/googlesitemapnews

Sutton signs with Georgia State

STAR-BANNER STAFF

Central Florida Community College freshman and former Florida basketball recruit Jimmie Sutton has signed a national letter-of-intent with Georgia State University, a Colonial Athletic Association school based in Atlanta.

It's not quite the return to the Southeastern Conference that Sutton was looking for, but with GSU's hiring of former Ole Miss coach Rod Barnes last month, there's at least a connection.

"I've always told you I was trying to get back to the SEC," said Sutton. "Coach Barnes is a great coach from the SEC."

Sutton turned down reported offers from Marshall, San Francisco and South Florida to sign with the Panthers.

"Atlanta's a great city," said Sutton, who visited Georgia State's downtown campus two weeks ago. "You can't beat Atlanta.

"I'm pretty happy with the situation."
In his only year at CFCC, Sutton, a 6-10, 250-pound center, helped the Patriots to a 22-11 record and second-place finish at the FCCAA State Tournament in March. Sutton averaged 7.9 points and 6.1 rebounds per game.

The Deerfield Beach native originally signed with Florida, but a torn knee ligament suffered in his senior year at North Broward Prep kept him out of action. He spent the season, the Gators' first of two consecutive national championships, as a medical redshirt, and transferred to CFCC after the season. Sutton said Friday that he's experienced no further problems with the knee that cost him his season with the Gators.

Barnes is happy to add Sutton as the second member of his first recruiting class.

"Jimmie has an opportunity to make an immediate impact on our Georgia State program," said Barnes, who takes over a program that went 11-20 overall and 5-13 in the CAA. "His rebounding and shot-blocking abilities will give our team an additional presence inside. His athleticism and length fit in well with our defensive philosophy and Jimmie's character on and off the floor make him a great addition to our program."

Sutton has some academic work left to do before leaving Ocala. He plans to stay enrolled at CFCC over the summer to complete his associate's degree, which will make him eligible for a return to Division I. If he's unable to complete the coursework, there's a chance he'll be back with the Patriots next year.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

No loss. I didn't even think a return to FAU was even an option for him.
Back to the top

Nope, no Hopes at all…we're stacked, and dont need him…

bye Jimmie…….

Best of luck… :-*

Back to the top
Control functions: