Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU of the future

Add topic

Knowing what you know now about the university's mission and some of the student requests, what do you picture FAU to be like at least 10+ years in the future (say 2020)?

Outside of the obvious things like the Innovation Village, I'd personally like to see:

- 10,000 people living on campus in Boca
- Average GPA is 3.5, SAT 1200
- Average men's basketball attendance is 5,000 people
- Average football attendance is 25,000 people
- Homecoming attended by 20,000 people
- Bury The Burrow become a tradition done every year
- FAU vs FIU rivalry be a big thing
- Third tier or better ranking; listed in somenoe's list of best colleges
- Campus decorated with so much school spirit banners/flags/signs that it's impossible to go anywhere without seeing the owl head or red/blue
- Top Business program in Florida
- FAU Pharmacy School + Public Health program

What do you think?

I'd actually like to see FAU eventually grow to
40,000 people at Boca campus
10,000 people at Davie
10,000 people at Jupiter

giving us 60,000 students, the largest in the nation… finally make the whole "strategically-located branch campuses" thing work FOR us… think it could happen?
Back to the top

FAU of the future

I don't see the need for a Junior College campus right in the middle of a University. I would like to see that area go back to FAU. Thats wish 1.

• The med program become FAU Med school and because of it prior association with UM, the school has a national reputation.
  • Major reaseach university
  • A bio med reasearch institute (like Scripps& Torrey Pines) located in Boca Raton working with Boca campus.
  • Several nationaly ranked sports programs.
  • Many nationaly recognized academic programs.
  • To be able to tell people in central Illinois I went to FAU and get the response, "oh yeah, great college", instead of the usual responses like, the fight with UM or "never heard of it".

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

FAU of the future

FAU of the future

the obvious for me is to rid the school of the image of "FAU - Find Another University." i want FAU to become a university that people from other schools transfer TO, not FROM.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

FAU of the future

fauowl09 said

the obvious for me is to rid the school of the image of "FAU - Find Another University." i want FAU to become a university that people from other schools transfer TO, not FROM.

I was talking to one of the retention officers at FAU about people transferring and making this a first choice university and she said that believe it or not, more people transfer TO FAU then FROM FAU.

Although I should add that I'm sure a lot of them transfer here because of personal reasons – need to be closer to a sick mother, for instance – than academic/student life reasons. So that is what we need to work on, definitely.

Top reasons I've heard from people about why they transfer to FAU from other schools in Florida:

From FIU to FAU: Too few professors speak English, don't like Miami. This is the most common thing I've heard about FIU. Not trying to insult anybody on the board here, just saying this is what I've heard.

FROM UCF to FAU: Too many people are in "party" mode up there and you can't get any serious work done.

FROM FSU to FAU: Too many bums and non-students walking around on campus, students didn't feel safe, Tallahassee was boring if you didn't like to drink

FROM UF to FAU: Campus too big, tired of waiting in the cold for the bus, some people have snotty attitudes

I don't remember the statistic exactly, but I think only about 22% of people transfer out of FAU. I don't know what the statistic is at other schools, but 22% doesn't sound to me like everyone is trying to "find another university"

Still, I understand if people want to go to "top-ranked" / "football" schools. FAU is in a transition phase and is going to take another 5-10 years to start winning some of the pickier people over. That being said, I do think the new gym, football stadium, freshman dorm and new cafeteria will definitely win more students over.

I have a feeling like most of the seniors in high school who bag on FAU have never actually been to the campus.
Back to the top
Control functions: