Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU and Torrey Pines do cancer research

Add topic

This has just getting started and is already big.

Does anyone think the name should be changed to Florida Atlantic Technical University?

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/southflorida/stories/2007/04/30/daily24.html

Torrey Pines to help FAU with cancer research
South Florida Business Journal - 1:44 PM EDT Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Florida Atlantic University said its faculty and students will use compounds from the Torrey Pines Institute for Molecular Studies to work to identify anti-cancer drugs and therapies.

The Boca Raton-based university and Torrey Pines said their agreement is for FAU's Charles E. Schmidt College of Science.

La Jolla, Calif.-based Torrey Pines is planning a Port St. Lucie headquarters.

Ramaswamy Narayanan, associate dean and FAU professor of biology, is to lead the research tem. FAU said he has identified a cancer-specific gene called SIM2.

The gene is found on chromosome 21 and is normally associated with Down syndrome.

FAU said Narayanan and his research associates identified the SIM2 gene using bioinformatics, which uses the power of computers to understand biology and medicine.

The university said the gene is specific to three major cancers: colon, prostate and pancreas.

"Florida Atlantic University has the basic research and proof-of-concept in place, and Torrey Pines Institute for Molecular Studies has the compounds and expertise to help expedite drug discovery," Narayanan said. "This collaboration is a great example of moving important therapies from the lab bench to the patient."

Talk about sleeping giant!

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Not sure I like the acronym " FATU" :0
How about Florida Polytecnical Institute or Florida Tech ??
We already have FIT and not sure our other reputable non-technical colleges would appreciate the change.
Nah — I like FAU just fine :)

This is a very exciting time for FAU and appears the city of Boca has finally jumped on the bandwagon. Congratulations to the FAU community. We ARE "On the Move" !!

http://www.bocaratonnews.com/index.php?src=news&refno=19622&category=Local%20News
Back to the top

FATU :o

:P

Back to the top

Actually F.I.T. made a switch to Florida Tech a few years ago but that was short lived and are now back to Florida Institute of Technology. One thing for sure if it was changed to Florida Tech the F?U crap would be gone.
Back to the top

Wow Bytor that sounds like a weight loss place. LOL a double :P
Back to the top

UCF was originally known as FTU (Florida Technological University).

Personally, I think it would be interesting to drop "Florida" and just be known as "Atlantic".
Back to the top

I thought about that back when the new branding changes were going on but it didn't sound right but after hearing it again I like it. Kind of like Clemson, Auburn, Duke etc.
Back to the top
Control functions: