Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

NCAA Softball tourney???

Add topic

U-LL makes the regionals but not FAU!!!! And Troy didnt make it either! what is the deal with that?

~Daphne
GO OWLS!!!

AEA
Back to the top

NCAA Softball tourney???

NCAA Softball tourney???

The SunBelt conference had its automatic bid in Softball stripped so this was the first year where the champion was not guaranteed. They took UL-Lafayette over us because they had a much higher RPI than us and they won the series against FAU. I was shocked that they didnt take FAU with the Owls winning the regular season and conference tourney however. The good news is the SunBelt regains the auto bid very soon so this wont happen in the future but thats not much consolation to this years team. At least this team ended this year on an incredibly high note-the three wins yesterday was a lot to be proud of!Go Owls!
Back to the top

NCAA Softball tourney???

yea an amazing accomplishment that was not rewarded…….how could the committee overlook that? the are definetly in top 64 best teams……..they deserve to be there………….and it ends this years team, that is so good and has a great pitcher and another great all around player who will never see the field again in an owls' uniform…….very unfortunate…….and shouldn't have happened……..sunbelt should have fought or done something for fau…..great way to introduce a new team to the conference……."heyyy you won our regular season title, won our tournament, but you know what? were gonna let the NCAA pick the second place team in the regular season, which also didn't win one game in the tournament"

"Sore Loser?!?! Tell you what, show me a Good Loser and I'll SHOW you a LOSER!!!"
Back to the top

NCAA Softball tourney???

What a f**king joke. No respect from the NCAA. UL-L only got in because of their tradition. It's also a huge f*ck you to Joan Joyce, who has been coaching forever and is a legend in women's sports.
Back to the top

NCAA Softball tourney???

This an absolute disgrace! There needs to be a process for disputing these politically, uninformed decisions by representatives of the elite power conferences - in court, if necessary.

What credit was the SunBelt given for taking on two strong programs (Troy and FAU), making it a much better conference? None.

FAU is an annual NCAA participant from the A-Sun. Suddenly, winning the regular season and conference tourney in a tougher conference is not enough for these committee "experts"? And Troy, which had more than 40 wins the past two years and defeated power teams including Florida State and Georgia Tech, was passed over for a second time.

The 'Belt still gets no guaranteed NCAA partipant. So that means thre A-Sun is better than the 'Belt. That's B.S.

I also hold the SunBelt staff responsible. Clearly, not enough public relations, promotions and lobbying was done on our part by Wright Waters and staff. He should resign in disgrace, and I'll say that again after only one 'Belt baseball team makes it to the NCAA, when at least three are qualified to go.

It's time for FAU and Troy to seriously look into another conference. This one is getting them nowhere.
Back to the top

NCAA Softball tourney???

Well, if we need a reason to make a graceful exit from the conference, this is a good one. >:(

Who made it from the A-Sun, if any?

This hurts the girls on this years team and what top notch future recruit would want to sign on a team that is only capable of going as far as the conference tournament, despite the success.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

NCAA Softball tourney???

BMarkey said

This an absolute disgrace! There needs to be a process for disputing these politically, uninformed decisions by representatives of the elite power conferences - in court, if necessary.

What credit was the SunBelt given for taking on two strong programs (Troy and FAU), making it a much better conference? None.

FAU is an annual NCAA participant from the A-Sun. Suddenly, winning the regular season and conference tourney in a tougher conference is not enough for these committee "experts"? And Troy, which had more than 40 wins the past two years and defeated power teams including Florida State and Georgia Tech, was passed over for a second time.

The 'Belt still gets no guaranteed NCAA partipant. So that means thre A-Sun is better than the 'Belt. That's B.S.

I also hold the SunBelt staff responsible. Clearly, not enough public relations, promotions and lobbying was done on our part by Wright Waters and staff. He should resign in disgrace, and I'll say that again after only one 'Belt baseball team makes it to the NCAA, when at least three are qualified to go.

It's time for FAU and Troy to seriously look into another conference. This one is getting them nowhere.

i agree on a couple of points you make, and i admire with your energy and frustration….

we know ULL (formerly known southwestern lousiana) has been in the sun belt conference for decades and will be there for decades… that is the height of what the university strives for from its athletic department… ON THE OTHER HAND, troy and fau are both fledgling programs on the rise and the height our athletic department (and sometimes fau's board of trustees, lol) strives for is the sky being the limit… our two schools (as well is wku - they intrigue me as a school that is on the rise, as well) WILL be in other, bigger conferences one day

HOWEVER…

1) not yet… troy and fau are in their baby stages of being "full" sun belt members… it's way too premature to accuse the sun belt of holding us back and "getting us nowhere." these two programs are simply moving too fast not to move on to bigger and better… but simply not yet

2) "in court?" come on… this is lady's softball we are talking about… hell, football and basketball and baseball and any other sport, as well… americans are way too court-happy… there needs to be better policies from the ncaa… i have said time and again (on teddy hutton's blog as well) that IF the sun belt, wac, a-sun, mwc, and all the other "mid major" and "minor" conferences are NOT going to be treated as equals to the mighty, big, bad "bcs" conferences, then why the hell are we all division 1? it's ridiculous… it's a classic example of "the man" holding down "the little guys"… with reductions in scholarships and a massive influx of money (and simply athletic talent) across florida, california, texas, and the heartland, mid-majors are a force to be reckoned with in the 21st century of collegiate athletics (i.e. george mason basketball, utah football, boise state football, cal state fullerton baseball)… there needs to be a shift in ncaa policy AND attitude towards mid-majors… SIX mid-majors receiving at-large bids to the 2007 ncaa basketball tournament was a sham and it did NOT reflect the recent landscape of college basketball (missouri state and drexel are just two of many examples of mid-majors that were disgracefully left out)… we can now add fau (and a case CAN be made for troy) to that list for the 2007 softball tournament

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

NCAA Softball tourney???

Troy had a higher RPI than Notre Dame and a better record against top-50 programs. I think FAU did, also.

Court should always be the last resort, but if the mid-majors are constantly getting screwed and the NCAA has no means of appeal, then court is the only and logical solution. Name another means of appeal.

I think Steson made it from the A-Sun. At least that conference has an automatic bid.

How in the world did the 'Belt lose its bid (I am told it returns next year), especially with the influx of two good softball programs?
Back to the top

NCAA Softball tourney???

BMarkey said

That would work great for you, wouldn't it Bob? Tell me. Where exactly would FAU and Troy go? I posed this question for you on the Troy board, but it will be nice for your former Atlantic Sun friends to think about as well.

I mean, Conference USA won't take either one of you. Forget it. With 12 members, they won't take anyone anytime soon. Big East? Forget it. 16 members is all they want. And the basketball schools love the fact that they are members of one of the 6 major money-making conferences so they won't leave.

If you hate the Sun Belt, then leave it, but you're only left with 2 options:

1) Full membership in a 1-AA league

2) Membership in a non-football league for other sports and 1-A Independence for football

By the way, the Sun Belt has a rule for it's members. If the league sponsors a sport that you sponsor, you must play in the league in that sport or leave the league and play in none of them.

So I ask again. What options do you really have?
Back to the top

NCAA Softball tourney???

By the way, you should know that in softball, the Sun Belt has been known as Louisiana and then everyone else. It's just the way it is. And when you are swept by Louisiana on the regular season, it makes it harder for anyone to be convinced if losses to Quinnipiac, UMass, and Long Island weren't enough.

Softball in the Sun Belt just doesn't have a name yet. The league looks like it's improving, but it has to get better from Top to Bottom before we start thinking multiple bids.
Back to the top
Control functions: