Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Schnelly explains O-Line size

This has been a topic on the board for a while. Now it is explained.

From Howard's blog.

May 15, 2007

Question from Joe
Coach Schnellenberger,
A big Owls fan here. Great job you are doing building and coaching this team.

My question is, every year since the team moved up to DIA, one of the biggest issues is the size of the line. You read about it, hear about it in the media. There are some light guys playing guard and tackle. Is there a reason you recruit smaller players for the line? I know there isn't too much of a shortage of 300+ pounders since lower division schools have plenty of them on their lines.

Response from Head Coach Howard Schnellenberger
Generally, we are recruiting players that have a great upside and may not have reached physical development by recruiting time. We have a history of red shirting, so we have time to develop players both physically in skill. Our players are best prepared by their junior and senior season. Our lines have gotten bigger year-by-year since 2000. But, I do agree if you check at UM or U of L we were 10-20 pounds lighter than opponents, not only in lines, but all positions. As a result, we feature speed as our dominant characteristics.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

which is true…personally i would rather have speed and agility than a bunch of huge slow, ground slugs……

What ever happened to Maurice Bynes though…i dont think he signed with anyone did he?? i dont think he made grades…….
Back to the top

Speed is definitely better when you run a spread offense. But it would seem that FAU needs bulk.
Back to the top

I agree bmarkey, with the sort of offensive system we run, it would seem like a big line to protect a pocket passing qb would be best.

but i don't have a national championship ring…so what do i know
Back to the top

We do need speed & mobility from our linemen, with some of the schemes we run on offense. The line has progressively been getting bigger - slowly anyway.
Back to the top

in the league we will have a great line this year...they all have ground slugs...lol
Back to the top

Everyone has talked about how small the O-Line is. Check out the roster. They have updated alot of the players weight and it seems they aren't as small as everyone thinks.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

FAU said

Everyone has talked about how small the O-Line is. Check out the roster. They have updated alot of the players weight and it seems they aren't as small as everyone thinks.

GO OWLS!

I see that! Paris lost some weight. Down to 300. Wishnefski is up to 317. According to the roster, Lavoris Williams is weighing in at 185. ???

It looks like we had a few casualties. One player I see missing is Duston Forston, the Ole Miss transfer. Does anyone one know what happened? Last I heard he had problems with his grades. I was hoping he would be in mix. We would be so deep at LB.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

FAU said

GO OWLS!

I see that! Paris lost some weight. Down to 300. Wishnefski is up to 317. According to the roster, Lavoris Williams is weighing in at 185. ???

It looks like we had a few casualties. One player I see missing is Duston Forston, the Ole Miss transfer. Does anyone one know what happened? Last I heard he had problems with his grades. I was hoping he would be in mix. We would be so deep at LB.

i posted to schnell-dawgs blog…no reposnse…dunno what happened to him…Hope he makes it…
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

FAU said

GO OWLS!

also, misprint on williams…should be 285…he has PUT ON weight…not lost…
Back to the top
Control functions: