Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU: FIU's nightmare

This topic can fit into a bunch of forum's, but I figured I'd put it here…..

Football: FAU beats FIU 31-0. FIU ends season 0-12 and fires Coach Don Strock.

Basketball: FAU beats the Golden Panthers 3 times including ending their season in the first round of the SBC tourney.

Baseball: FAU sweeps the season ending series to clinch a birth in the SBC tourney and FIU Coach Price is fired.

I don't follow softball all that closely, but I believe that our ladies ended FIU's season and their softball coach was fired as well.

Now, I don't want to take joy in people losing their jobs, but there is a trend here. Let's enjoy this domination while we can. Go Owls!
Back to the top

It has been a sweet year in the rivalry for us. However, we know just how quickly things can turn around.
Back to the top

And we are going to keep dominating them... After all our athletes are much better educated.
Back to the top

Ghost is right, things can turn around in a hurry…..but our goal should be building on this momentum and continue building a strong athletics program so bloodbaths like the one going on down south don't happen here.
Back to the top

Considering this is the first year we had all sports in the SBC, FAU has done quite well. It would seem the the owls are the team on the way up. I don't know what is happening at FIU with all the coach firings but stability does have some merits. There are some good coaches in place at FAU. I think we just found out that coach Joyce is even better than we thought.

I hope FIU doesn't get themsleves into a financial pinch by hiring good coaches for alot of money. Somehow FAU was able to be blessed with some very good coaches (for the time being) without going over budget.

Yeah, things can turn around in a hurry but FAU is on the move also. We're not standing still (our BoT is though). We're improving every year. Our biggest obsticle right now is getting facilities in place.

It is kinda sad about Price though. He had a record of 1086-597 and got fired after a disappointing season. Just his third season in 28 years with a losing record.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

I know Garcia has been on a firing rampage. Why so many coaches? Is he trying to get his own people in there or is he trying to improve things or both?

My company up here has hired some outside consultants to improve employee retention. They've identified a few areas of concern. It not always the employees and its not always just pay and benefits. Garcia needs to look at why so many coaches were underperforming and other issues like graduation rates. If something exists in the culture and its still there, it going to wear on the new coaches. To me it doesn't make sense that Strock didn't make it. He was right there along side Shula for years. He learned from one of the best.

Good luck FIU!

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

This thread is currently linked on FIU's board. It has upset a few people.

From their board:

since we are such a big topic for them, do you think that they will get mad at the fact that we don't ever talk about them.. haha

It doesn't matter if the 10-15 active members of their board talk about FAU or not. The programs don't live or die by the sports message board. We are talking about the 450+- athletes that probably aren't allowed to participate on the message board. If the members of the FIU board are flattered that their school is mentioned here, great! We aren't talking about their board members, we're talking abut their athletes. So, the board member there can mention FAU or not mention FAU. It doesn't make a hill of beans difference.

We don't have a cross town rival to get into a fist fight with. So, yes we focus on a fellow member of the Sunbelt that is close in proximity and a name specific game is played every year, "Shula Bowl", with a trophy. The only cross town rivalry we could produce is if our tennis team got into a brawl with Lynn University's tennis team.

FAU sucks, they're just desperately looking for rivals. FIU is a thousand times better than FAU, GO FIU!!

Yeah right, at what?

desperatley looking for rivals? what in the heck does that mean?

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

It's pretty sad that they don't consider us their rivals. They think that UM is their main rival because of the fight last year, but the truth is UM could care less about FIU. From the times I've been on their campus in Miami, I saw more UM attaire than FIU, so even the majority of their own students consider themselves UM fans. For the most part, FAU fans (at least those on this board…meaning the hardcore ones) know that the two schools would benefit greatly from growing this rivalry. Granted, we have done most of the winning, but all things even out eventually. Besides, they are in our conference, are our closest competition, we've played them three times in bball this past year….how is that desperately looking for a rival?
Back to the top

faualum said

This thread is currently linked on FIU's board. It has upset a few people.
That happens.

faualum said

From their board:

since we are such a big topic for them, do you think that they will get mad at the fact that we don't ever talk about them.. haha
Not really. Our football stadium is a big topic. FIU is not a big topic.

faualum said

We don't have a cross town rival to get into a fist fight with.
An event that hurt them more than helped them, often played-up as if it were evidence of a huge historic rivalry between the two schools. In the first year of playing - the first year, not fifty or a hundred years like FSU/UF - an act of arrogance from a UM player blew up into a full-fledged melee. The coaches were angered and embarassed and both schools got their reputations dragged through the dirt in the process.

faualum said

FAU sucks, they're just desperately looking for rivals. FIU is a thousand times better than FAU, GO FIU!!
We already had rivalries with Troy and MTSU.
Back to the top

You have rivalries with Troy and MTSU?

But yeah, FIU doesn't have much right to be high and mighty with FAU considering their recent struggles with the owls.

As for UM and their supposed rivalry I really have a hard time accepting it as a real rivalry. They obviously don't like each other but I think that has alot to do with the contempt that's brewed from UM constantly looking down on FIU. One game that erupts into a fight and then a 35 point shutout doesn't bode well for a serious rivalry.
Back to the top
Control functions: