Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Owls 2007 First-Year Player Draft Watch

Add topic

Baseball America ranks:

Top 50 College Seniors:
Brandon Cooney (RHP, Sr.) 29th
Chris Salberg (LHP, Sr.) 35th

i know arms are important and coveted in the FYP draft in baseball, but i am honestly surprised bomback and widlansky were not named to the Top 50 of their class… i do believe they'll be drafted, but it's likely both would come back

as a very preliminary projection, i see:

Round 6-10:
Cooney (senior), Salberg (senior)

Round 11-15:
Widlansky (will return), Storey (will return)

Round 20-25:
Bomback (will return), Tyler Stevens (senior), Michael Obradovich (will return)

Seniors that could go later than Round 25:
Anthony Bradley, Justin Martin, Joel Schmal, Alex Silversmith, Andrew Tomlin

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

i made a typo on Widlansky... i meant to include him in the 6-10 round, and he prolly would sign and leave

Back to the top

If Cooney is rated so high, why does he have a 2-5 record and a 7.09 ERA this season??

Back to the top

senior… big… good make up and stuff

he's struggled, but his age is the trend major league clubs have gone recently… they want seniors, because they are the closest to the big leagues

Back to the top

Has Mickey Storey come out and said hes definitely coming back? No one on this board seems to be considering the possiblity that he could very well leave. If he gets picked in the first 15 rounds hes liable to get a good offer and Im sure it will be tempting not to risk the possiblity of another injury. I hope he stays I wouldnt be shocked if he goes.
Back to the top

Considering, thanks to Cooney, how little we know about Mickey's injury, I'm sure the pro scouts will wait to see he has recovered sufficiently with their own eyes before drafting him in the first 15 rounds.
Back to the top

The scouts know the status of Storey, to be sure. As I mentioned in another thread, Mickey will most likely go to the Cape (as per the insistance of any interested team) for the summer and get drafted from there assuming he proves to be healthy. That makes perfect and understandable sense. That doesn't negate the possiblity that some team will take a chance and jump on him and I wouldn't be surprised if MS jumps at the opportunity.
Back to the top

GoOwls said

The scouts know the status of Storey, to be sure. As I mentioned in another thread, Mickey will most likely go to the Cape (as per the insistance of any interested team) for the summer and get drafted from there assuming he proves to be healthy. That makes perfect and understandable sense. That doesn't negate the possiblity that some team will take a chance and jump on him and I wouldn't be surprised if MS jumps at the opportunity.

good for him…

now what i would really like to see is FAU (John McCormack) finally land 3 very good pitchers all in the same class and on the field at the same time 1,2,3…because it is always our achillies heel…now we lose him, and with what we haveleft, its not going to fair much better next year - if at all…
Back to the top

with all due respect to you both, but i completely disagree… just a matter of opinion, i guess, but i don't believe mickey would jump at the opportunity… anyone who is anyone in baseball knows the story of Matt LaPorta (U of Florida) and how he was drafted by the Boston Red Sox in 2006 (14 round, 433 overall)… came back for his senior season and has completely defaced every baseball he has seen… now ranked the 12th overall prospect in the draft by baseball america and is a first-round pick, possibly the first 1B selected… coming back has mostly outweighs taking the money and running in baseball drafting today's day in age, because the trend major league teams has taken in looking for "ready-for-the-show-as-soon-as-possible" dividends on their stock they just invested in… i look to see storey returning next season for his senior season and looking to bounce back

my new updated FAU Big Board (as per rankings by Baseball America, Collegiate Baseball an Rivals Baseball Recruiting):

1. Robbie Widlansky (Round 3-5; junior, will sign)
2. Chris Salberg (Round 5-10; senior, rights owned by Baltimore)
3. John Rizzo (Round 5-7; high school recruit signed to FAU, will attend FAU)
4. Brandon Cooney (Round 7-12; senior)
5. William Block (Round 7-12; sophomore, will return)
6. Mickey Storey (Round 10-15; junior, will return)
7. Daniel Bomback (Round 15-20; junior, will return)
8. Tyler Stevens (Round 17-20; senior)

Seniors that could go later than Round 25:
Anthony Bradley, Justin Martin, Joel Schmal, Alex Silversmith, Andrew Tomlin

Underclassmen that could go later than Round 25:
Michael Obradovich (will return)

Back to the top

Not for nothin', but you forgot #25 with his history making .413 BA to place 2ND!! behind #12 at .433. Congrats to the both of 'em!
Back to the top
Control functions: