Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

season wrap -up

Add topic

season wrap -up

Hello to all the FAU baseball fans out there. As your head coach for the past 20 years I'd like to thank you all for your loyal support. A message board such as this, lets us know that there are people out there who care deeply about the success and the efforts of your players and coaches.

OK…THE SUN BELT VS THE A_SUN…The differnce was what I expected; the middle teams down to the bottom were much better in the SBC. There was no comparison in the level of players on UALR, ASU, or FIU compared to Lipscomb, Georgia ST, Campbell, or the old Mercer teams. When a last place A-SUN team came to town you knew it was a LAST place team. It wasn't the same in the SBC. It was really evident when you saw the top eight teams at the conference tournament. The level of talent on those teams surpassed anything i had seen in A-SUN tournaments.
MICKEY STOREY…You all need to understand the privacy issues we face in the NCAA. To reveal the extent of an athlete's injury to the public is illegal. We aren't even supposed to call a parent in regard to the kid's injury. That said, Mickey is recovering from a UCL sprain. Now, doctors will also tell you that sprains are also slight tears, so call it what you will. This diagnosis by our team doctor was confirmed by two nationally recognized orthopedic sports surgeons. he was placed on a throwing program and we felt he would return for our last few conference series and the tournament. Mickey had a setback during the throwing program. Basically, another part odf the arm became sore as it perhaps compensated for the weakness in the ligament area during the throwing program. He was shut down and revisited two of the doctors. Mickey should be ready to pitch again by the end of June. He will go to Cape Cod either as a drafted player who will be evaluated and made an offer, or as an undrafted free agent. The second scenario is more to his benefit. Every team could then bid on his services and drive up his bonus. If Mickey doesn't get the number he seeks by August 14 he will return to school for his red shirt junior year. I really feel that is the better choice. A full year of injury free pitching answers all the questions and probably bumps him to a higher round. It also gets him to within a semaester or two of a degree. Mickey will someday make a great coach but he'll need his degree.

CHRIS SALBERG…Chris agreed to terms yesterday with the Orioles. He made a great decision last August to not sign and return to school. He now is an internship in ex sci away from his degree, he cleaned up his delivery, developed a good change up, and made himself more money in 10 months than a lot of college graduates.

ROBBIE WIDLANSKY…Woody could return for a fifth year, but I doubt it. His incredible season has him positioned to be selected in the top 10 rounds. there isn't a ton of money for him but that's not why he played. Woody wants a good round and a fair price.

DANNY COOK…Danny feels he's ready for pro ball but wants a fair round. If not he'll be back.

MIKE MCKENNA…Same as Cookie. Mike had an incredible year that was overshadowed by Woody. But we don't have a tougher kid or a harder worker. His size, defense , and the mechanics of his swing make him suspect in the eyes of scouts as a junior, but he'll be a good sign as a senior.

DANNY BOMBACK…Danny was a fourth year junior whose best chance to get signed is now. He had a bad reputation with scouts throughout HS and JUCO, but Coach Lopez's influence has had a positive effect. Danny has worked hard to present himself in a better light than to people. He's a tough, good kid. If he doesn't sign, Danny will be back to get his degree and someday make a good coach.

COONEY AND PHILLABAUM…Neither guy had the season they hoped for. Scouts love their size and what's in their arms, so I think they will both be drafted.

SILVERSMITH…Alex will get a medical redshirt for his broken hand and be here next year.

OBRADOVICH…Mike wants to sign, but teams see him as a "senior sign". I hope he's back. He's a tough kid who had a good year. Mike willingly accepted any role we gave him.

36-22…Obviously we fell short of our goal. Every team has injuries, but this program has seen three All-American, high draft players miss their junior years over the past two seasons. Mickey was 3-0 when he got hurt March 2. He would have had 12 more starts, including the conference tournament. How many games do you think he'd have won? Schmal missed six weeks. How many games might he have won?
Injuries are part of the game, but we didn't get anyone to step up and fill the void of those two guys.
That's the whole story. (no pun intended)

THE STADIUM…We have the worst facility of any SBC school we visited this season. Since 1999, every school in Florida, except two, have either redone their baseball facility, built a new one, or have the plan and money in hand. The two that have nothing are FAMU and FAU. During that same span, FAU has won more games than all Florida schools except two. Something seems wrong.

THE FUTURE…Other sections of this board are filled with cries of desperation for a football stadium. They say it's needed to build a program.
We've already built a national program, but it is in danger of backsliding. We try to avoid having top recruits visit because the facility has cost us some top level guys over the last few years. Two of them wound up laying in the College World Series for other schools.
Since 1999, I have been "a voice crying in the wilderness" about the need for a true college stadium. Eight years have passed since I sat down with President Catanese and showed him blow- ups of FIU, Stetson, and UCF. All we have to show since then are two port-a-johns for the teams to use during games.
Everyone says we need a baseball stadium, but it gets drowned out by the dreams of domes and innovative villages. It would seem easier to get $6-8 million for a baseball facility than the $40 million naming rights for football.
Maybe not.

THANKS…Again, I thank you all for your support of the program and of our staff and me. Those who read the Diamond Diary and comnment so favorably- I appreaciate your comments. Writing that has morphed into more than I intended or imagined. It's a habit I'd like to quit, but keep returning to. Sorry for the length of this, but i thought you deserved some insight.
KC
Back to the top

season wrap -up

thank you, coach, for everything you have done for FAU, Boca Raton, and college athletics… you are truly an outstanding person, as your are a coach… your unselfish attitude in staying with FAU for 20+ years, when you could have EASILY taken the Matt Doherty-expressway to "bigger, better" places MANY MANY times, i am sure, but your loyalty to FAU speaks volumes about your character!

FAU baseball is on the map because of YOU and the players YOU recruit… we WILL be back in regionals next year, i have no doubt in my mind, but win or lose, i am an FAU Owl in good times and bad

GO OWLS!

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

season wrap -up

p.s. IF that was really coach cooney, haha, i'm sure there are some people on this board that would love to pretend to be any of the coaches at our school to push the idea of new facilities, lol

but anyways, if you are coach cooney, i mean everything i said, haha

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

season wrap -up

As stupid as it may be for a coach to be on a board…it is me. Thanks for your kind words;they mean a lot.
I just felt you guys deserved an inside look.
Back to the top

season wrap -up

fauowl09 said

p.s. IF that was really coach cooney, haha, i'm sure there are some people on this board that would love to pretend to be any of the coaches at our school to push the idea of new facilities, lol

but anyways, if you are coach cooney, i mean everything i said, haha

Impersonation of FAU officials (or anyone else) is not tolerated and would be deleted. It's an honor to have Coach Cooney visit us.
Back to the top

season wrap -up

"Impersonation of FAU officials (or anyone else) is not tolerated and would be deleted. It's an honor to have Coach Cooney visit us. "

Like the time Sydney Green wrote a blurb? But we all knew it wasn't him because it was lunch time and he was at the "all you can eat" taco stand at Chartwell's.
Back to the top

season wrap -up

PREFACE: OKay. I'll bite on this one for a couple reasons: 1) kc20 is listed as a "hatchling", and 2) It just "sounds" like KC…..

Welcome to the world of "crackpots"! :-)
I have been one of those who has been upset at the lack of info regarding injured players. I can appreciate the sensitive nature of one's status, but waiting with baited breath for every series to see if MS was back was frustrating. Seems like something could have been said to give us a clue.
It's too bad we didn't play Stetson this year. Heck, Block almost hit as many homeruns as their entire team (18-24). FAU showed themselves proud for the first year in the SunBelt. Unfortunately, your rundown on the prospective draftees will hurt us big time.
Stadium, Smadium. It ain't goin' to happen. The pigskin rules, cowhide drools. Why not focus some more attention (and alot less money) on fixing up what you're stuck with for the foreseeable future? There is alot that could be done to upgrade and improve the existing facility….starting with the SCOREBOARD!! Hosting the SunBelt tourney won't be in our future, but filling the stands will help validate the need for a new facility down the road. The baseball program and you do deserve better and I hope something breaks to make it happen, but you can't sit back waiting for that to happen while the place deteriorates around you.
Congrats to you, your staff and to the team for an outstanding season. Especially to Woody for all of his accomplishments. I hope the draft doesn't hit too hard. And tell Mac to find more pitchers!!
Thanks for posting.
Go Owls!
Back to the top

season wrap -up

New to board but have watched FAU baseball for a long time. Just wanted to thank Coach Cooney and team for many enjoyable days at the ballpark. Win or lose! We are not fair weather fans! Keep on with the Diamond Diary, Coach, it's a good read.
Speaking as an FAU alumnus from the dark ages, Coach is right on with the comments about the stadium. In my day we had no track, no basketball arena. We did have tennis courts, racquetball courts 1 swimming pool and a B baseball field. The current baseball field actually was an archery range in the area of the left field. Yes, we have made some progress but as an alumnus I would hope to some day see A-one facilities in all sports. I do know that through the years the baseball team especially has had some of the best teams in the history of the school. But, I attended some classes in the fieldhouse next to the baseball stadium over 40 years ago and we used the same restrooms in the fieldhouse that people use today that attend games!! And they certainly don't look like they've been updated! We have been to several away games, Stetson, Jacksonville, Georgie Tech, Miami, etc. and it's certainly embarrassing to know we can compete on the field but have facilities that aren't even close with a food concession that's an embarrassment.
Kudos to Coach Cooney, his staff and teams for all their success in spite of adversity. Hopefully someone will wake up and see our gem in the rough!
Here's to a better year next year and some strong pitching!!
Back to the top

season wrap -up

It is unusual for coaches to respond on message boards, but it has happen on several occasion on this board and if you have read any of KC works, the proof is in the pudding.

We have step-up in conference and must find a way to bring all of our facilities to the standards that will put us in similar or better facilities then our competitors, so that our athletes can be proud participants in the SBC representing the Owls.

The Baseball team do deserve a better stadium to call home.

Thank you KC, for taking the time for your always insigntful comments. Good Luck with recruitting and getting the team ready for 2008.

Bytor
Back to the top

season wrap -up

Thanks for everything, coach, and especially for that player-by-player analysis. That's the kind of thing I would love to read in the local media, but we really don't get enough inches in any of the three major papers down here to be able to see something as extensive as that.

Although I've really missed my annual trip to Coral Gables the past two years (OK, maybe not!), I have faith we can get back there next year if enough guys 'step up' as you say. Get Kenny Gray healthy, and he could be a solid starter, no problem.

As for the stadium, you've been around this school long enough coach to know how things are at 777 Glades Road. I would love to see a multipurpose indoor football/baseball facility on our campus at some point, but I think I might croak by then.

Keep up the good work, and you'll always have our backs….either on the berm or from behind a keyboard.
Back to the top
Control functions: