Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Progress on new dorms

Add topic

Progress on new dorms

Here is the new dorms as of 6/1/07. I think they have torn down more dorms rooms than they have replaced. Does anyone know if that is true?

When I was at FAU, all those new concrete sidewalks by the residence halls would have every name of every student living on campus scratched in it before it dried.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://www.fau.edu/housing/NewHall.html

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Progress on new dorms

I could be wrong but I think the housing that was there had 500 beds. These towers total to 600.

AEA
Go play Intramural Sports! www.fau.edu/campusrec/imsports/
Back to the top

Progress on new dorms

For anyone who doesn't know: the picture is of the new dorm they've been calling FYE or First Year Experience.

That weird name was arrived at somehow by the Housing Office which had previously sent out an email detailing a naming contest for the buidling. I talked to some people who said that they recieved a large number of submissions, including a few Indian names, but none of them seemed to impress the Housing people. It's hard to name a building, I guess. The downside is that the winner was going to get a $500 scholarship. And I don't think it was given out.

Anyway, the FYE dorm is exclusively for freshmen and opens for the Fall 2007 semester. It sits on the land previously occupied by the Timucua dorm. After Algoqnuin is torn down next year (or so they say since they just renovated it into singles), all the small, indian-named dorms will be gone with these 600-bed behemoths in their place.

Such is progress at FAU and we should be happy for it since it improves campus life.

In regards to writing the name in cement, people haven't done that from what I've seen. Also, a little while back they banned the sidewalk painting (for campus organizations), although several people have requested that they do it again – perhaps for Homecoming. But I don't think it's going to happen for a number of reasons, some aesthetic, some legal, some personal bias.
Back to the top

Progress on new dorms

what do they call the dorms now, did they do away with the indian na mes for political reasons?

i lived in Sekani, Modoc, and Timuqua while an on campus resident…mostly with a private room though :)
Back to the top

Progress on new dorms

Florida_Owl said

what do they call the dorms now, did they do away with the indian na mes for political reasons?

i lived in Sekani, Modoc, and Timuqua while an on campus resident…mostly with a private room though :)

Private rooms are hard to come by… although you can snag one in the apartments and now, until it's torn down next year, you can get single occupancy in Algonquin.

In response to what they call the dorms now… we have Algonquin, Heritage Park Towers (HPT), Indian River Towers (IRT), and now the new First Year Experience Hall (FYE) which replaced Timucua.

I don't know what became of Sekani or Modoc but the dorms now have a large quad in the middle that has a volleyball court and a BBQ pavillion. We use the Housing Quad, all that open space, for festivals, concerts, and outdoor sports like kickball and ultimate frisbee.

Why they did away with the indian names I'm not sure but from talking to students who work in Housing, those people have no imagination or desire to deviate from the norm… which explains Indian River Towers… towers on Indian River Street.
Back to the top

Progress on new dorms

Back to the top

Progress on new dorms

Lm77 said

'Glades Park Towers', the name that's going to be presented to the BOT for an official decision, is a pretty dumb name. Heritage Park Towers makes sense because it's next to Heritage Park. There is no Glades Park.

FYE was much better if for no other reason than it was unique. It's a unique building in terms of its purpose… so it SHOULD have a unique name.

I especially like how they collected names from students then disregarded them completely. I heard that Housing collected the names and then broke up into sub-committees to vote on them. A week or so later when they met again, nobody had voted on them.

Sound like FAU to you?
Back to the top

Progress on new dorms

And WHY DON'T ANY OF THE BUILDINGS HAVE PITCHED ROOFS?

They look like office buildings for crying out loud.
Back to the top

Progress on new dorms

Here's a new dorm with pitched roofs.

Troy is opening three of these (apartment style with kitchens) buildings this fall. They were built in eight months.

I find it odd that FAU can be called a "commuter" school with 3,000 or so students living on campus, while Troy has about the same amount on campus, yet has never been described in that way.
Back to the top

Progress on new dorms

I find it odd that FAU can be called a "commuter" school with 3,000 or so students living on campus, while Troy has about the same amount on campus, yet has never been described in that way.

Because Troy was founded in 1887 as a Normal School and has a long long history in Alabama and the south. FAU is a little over 40 years old and is situated in a very populated area and can draw most of its students from the immediate area.

Actually when I attended in the 70s, it wasn't refered to as a commuter school. About 16% of the students lived on campus at that time. It may have been a commuter school but the term was never used.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top
Control functions: