Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Florida Tourney this year

Add topic

There will be a Florida - Daytona Beach tourney with 8 teams. Confirmed teams are URI, South Florida, Florida State, FAU and Cleveland State… 3 teams yet to be determined.

not sure if it's one game and done or a bracket setup.
Back to the top

RhodeIslandOwl said

There will be a Florida - Daytona Beach tourney with 8 teams. Confirmed teams are URI, South Florida, Florida State, FAU and Cleveland State… 3 teams yet to be determined.

Wow, FAU against FSU. That's going to be a cool game. :)
Back to the top

Monroe
Graham
Nwoji
Parmer
Simmons

I would like to see one the younger guys step in and not only push for some minutes but make a difference like Monroe.
Hugley
Perkins
Royster
Owens

FloridaOwl, you seem to have the inside scoop, what's your take?

I'm looking forward to having Hernadez in there. Another big body will help on defense tremendously and he'll get some easy buckets because there going to have to focus on Monroe so much. He should really open the floor for guys to drive in like Graham. I don't even think the outside shooting will be as important as it usually is for FAU basketball. Will be a force inside for the first time I can remember.

Mike Bell would have been awesome on this team.
Back to the top

Exit39 said

Monroe
Graham
Nwoji
Parmer
Simmons

I would like to see one the younger guys step in and not only push for some minutes but make a difference like Monroe.
Hugley
Perkins
Royster
Owens

I'm looking forward to having Hernadez in there. Another big body will help on defense tremendously and he'll get some easy buckets because there going to have to focus on Monroe so much. He should really open the floor for guys to drive in like Graham. I don't even think the outside shooting will be as important as it usually is for FAU basketball. Will be a force inside for the first time I can remember.

Alacron made a couple of awesome moves at the Sun Belt Toourney game against FIU. It would be nice to see him work over our enemies as well.
Back to the top

Exit39 said

Monroe
Graham
Nwoji
Parmer
Simmons

Hugley
Perkins
Royster
Owens

Royster will not only be in the game(s) early, but will move into serious raotation time IMO…the guy, despite his being a freshman, will be the best low post defender/shot blocker we have…and hes very athletic and can run the floor well also…that is HUGE for Rex to give him the nod for some PT…

I think the bottom line here is we can not only bring a alot of fan support ( i will be there) but also potentially win this thing…FSU is the only school we would be an early underdog against…it would be good to get a couple wins, and some experience against the others and then face FSU in the final - whcih will probably get a nod from TV producers for the broadcast on CSS, or MAYBE the deuce…

the only TBD for our offensive game this year is Graham…will he step up, add to his game (he's limited to the spin move and driving) and give us another 10 - 15 points a agame…as i see it our biggest weakness will be the two guard…we step up in all other areas, especially DEPTH…

im with you on the two RS Frosh - Hughley and Perkins…i think Perkins will be the team "sleeper" for sure…the other recruits have some pub out, and teams are aware of them…perkins came from a small school, not laot of hype, and then sat out…the attention is off of him - this plays in our favor, and his…

BUT dont forget HIGH FLYING dipsy doing, and DUNKEROOING Jamal Owens…Rex promised us some dazzling entertainment from this young man for seasons to come…give him a wee bit of time to get aquainted with the system, and i think we will all be in for a treat from him…he may very well be the best offensive three man in the SB conference aside from WKU's Lee…but he is more of a driver/slasher…very hard to defend in this league as well IMO after seeing last years overall skill level from other opponents…

Bottom line, our three spot is jamm packed with potential with Hernandez, as you mentioned, and him as well…

we will be more of a defensive minded club than last years rendention of the ALL offense and NO defense show…which isnt as exciting, but will make for a better showing overall IMO…

cant wait…couple months and we are on gain!! in the freshly remodeled arena 8-)
Back to the top

RhodeIslandOwl said

What is the source of t his information? i cant find anything on any of the schools sites. or in a general query on google…where did you hear this??
Back to the top

having rosyter, hernadez and monroe on the floor will make opponents shoot outside. there going to have a tough time getting the ball inside on this team.

It's funny to think that this will be our best team in school history. But what's crazy is with the exception of Parmer everyone is a Junior or younger. HAving played for a year by the 08-09 season this team could be pushing a top 50 RPI.

this team is going to put FAU on the basketball map for years to come.
Back to the top

heard it from a friend of mine who is a URI season ticket holder. URI tends to release their schedule as they fill it as opposed to FAU.
Back to the top

TAMPA - USF will play Florida State in men's basketball for the first time since 2002.

USF has committed to play in an eight-team tournament, tentatively called the Daytona Beach Shootout, which would conclude with a matchup Nov. 18. USF has not signed a contract but is expected to do so within the next two weeks.

The Bulls and Seminoles have not met since Jan. 1, 2002, a 78-74 FSU win at the Sun Dome.

The tournament will start on college campuses with USF hosting Cleveland State on Nov. 9. All eight schools will convene in Daytona Beach on Nov. 16 with the Bulls expected to play Rhode Island, Florida Atlantic and FSU over a three-day span.

I read in one of the blogs that this is an exempt tournament and will only count as 1 game.

Confirmed so far:
South Florida
Florida State
Florida Atlantic
Cleveland State
URI

three mystery teams still left.

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://www.projo.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=URI&Number=714412&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5
Back to the top

Exit39 said

It's funny to think that this will be our best team in school history… this team is going to put FAU on the basketball map for years to come.

I'd love for that to be true.

I'd also love for 5000 people to pack the Burrow this year, thus pressuring the BOT to build the 10k seat basketball stadium.

But that's because I really like FAU basketball.
Back to the top
Control functions: