Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Football blog from a guy in Michigan...

…positive about FAU. Gives a very interesting bowl projection.

Check it out here:

http://saturdaysoundoffs.blogspot.com/2007/07/2-days-florida-and-florida-atlantic.html
Back to the top

No SunBelt team can throw?

FAU will go to the NO Bowl with a 5-7 record?

ULL will be a toss-up, but FAU will run over the rest of the 'Belt? FAU has no shot at OSO, USF and Minnesota?

This guy is another wannabe "journalist" who doesn't do his homework.

Back to the top

None of that makes much sense to me. How can a team go 5-7 and make it to a bowl game? Sure it is possible, but highly unlikely. Not something you stake your reputation on by predicting it.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Our experienced 2003 and 2004 team came in an had some SBC victories. No one expected them.

This obviously is a better team with D1A level talent. Expect the unexpected.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

My feeling is that FAU will make a run for the SBC title and will finish the season with a winning record. If FAU manages to do both things, they will be in the New Orleans Bowl.

I also really feel that this the year that the team gets a non-conf. victory.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

If FAU has six or seven wins and wins the 'Belt it will be in NOLA. With five wins, FAU will be at home watching another 'Belt team with more wins play in the Big Easy.

One or more 'Belt teams will have seven or more wins this year.

Back to the top

If FAU beats MTSU in the first game, it will come down to Troy vs. FAU at Troy for the Sun Belt Title and the rights to NOLA. The 2nd team could possibly get an at large bowl such as the Motor City Bowl last year.
Back to the top

BMarkey said

ULL will be a toss-up, but FAU will run over the rest of the 'Belt? FAU has no shot at OSO, USF and Minnesota?

Heyyyyy! :'(

Well, most teams can't throw in the Sun Belt. The highest ranked passing Sun Belt team is UL Monroe at #68 with Kinsmon Lancaster leading that attack. So that is where my assertion came from.

And, for further clarification, the "Good/Probable" means that they have a solid shot. It includes everything from a minor upset to a gimmie. The "Ehhhhh….Maybe…" are possible upsets and the "Don't Even Think About It" is where they have a slim chance of winning.

The reason I said UL Lafayette was unlikely is the fact that Fenroy is an awesome back. I just don't know if FAU has the horses to stop him. But I see ULL losing elsewhere. Getting Arkansas State at home gives them the advantage in that game.

And, you can be bowling at 5-7. The Sun Belt champ gets the automatic bid no matter their record. North Texas went bowling at 5-7 one time. If that's not the case anymore, can somebody correct me?

Thanks for the link though! :D
Back to the top

eric said

BMarkey said

Heyyyyy! :'(

Well, most teams can't throw in the Sun Belt. The highest ranked passing Sun Belt team is UL Monroe at #68 with Kinsmon Lancaster leading that attack. So that is where my assertion came from.

And, for further clarification, the "Good/Probable" means that they have a solid shot. It includes everything from a minor upset to a gimmie. The "Ehhhhh….Maybe…" are possible upsets and the "Don't Even Think About It" is where they have a slim chance of winning.

The reason I said UL Lafayette was unlikely is the fact that Fenroy is an awesome back. I just don't know if FAU has the horses to stop him. But I see ULL losing elsewhere. Getting Arkansas State at home gives them the advantage in that game.

And, you can be bowling at 5-7. The Sun Belt champ gets the automatic bid no matter their record. North Texas went bowling at 5-7 one time. If that's not the case anymore, can somebody correct me?

Thanks for the link though! :D

North Texas went bowling in 2001 with a 5-7 record and the whole free world thought it was WEAK!!!

Nobody said that it isn't possible, I just think that most would agree that a 5-7 record for a bowl team is so rare that it doesn't warrant being a prediction. I mean, lets look at this more closely. One team has gone to a bowl with a 5-7 record and that North Texas in 2001. They also only played 5 conference games. The chances of a team going undefeated in conference play and finishing 5-7 are zero. It is possible for FAU to finish 5-2 in the conference, win the conference, and lose every non-conf. game. That would be a 5-7 record. However, I don't think it will be very likely that a 2 conference loss team will win the SBC. Maybe after Western Kentucky enters the conference and adds more depth, but until then it isn't very likely.

Another point is that I personally don't think anybody should be going bowling with a 6-6 record let alone a 5-7 record. Should subpar performance be rewarded??? I don't think so. That is my personal opinion. However, I wouldn't complain if FAU went 6-6 and got invited to a bowl. ;D

GO OWLS!!!!

Back to the top

Well, it is unlikely. I actually think that Arkansas State is the best team from the Sun Belt. I just see FAU beating Arkansas State and losing to UL Lafayette and somebody else (the conference is WIDE open). I actually think they can compete with Minnesota. North Dakota State missed a FG at the end of regulation and lost 10-9, even though NDSU is a pretty good 1-AA team, I'm thinking that the Owls can do something similar. I think Minnesota is going to be pretty down.

As for USF, Kentucky, and Oklahoma State, I think they'll beat FAU. But who's to say that they can't compete?

Well, we'll just have to see how it turns out, I guess. I think Arkansas State will go 6-6 and the same with UL Lafayette. FAU though wins the Sun Belt going 5-2 in conference play. That's how I see it shaking down. They ended last year very well and I think they can carry the momentum.

What about you guys though? Got any "inside information" on the Sun Belt? Who are you picking? Do you like FAU as well?
Back to the top
Control functions: