Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Rusty interview.

Rusty has goals of beating UF this year. Go Rusty. ;D ;)

Friday, July 6, 2007

FAU QB Rusty Smith has Huge Expectations for 2007 Team
Jim Rutledge, Staff Writer

Rusty Smith and Sean Clayton are engaged in a Quarter Back battle for the second straight season. There is no doubt that offense moves better through the air with Smith at the helm, last season Smith averaged over 100 yards per game in the air, compared to 84 by Clayton. I sat down with the Junior QB this spring to get his thoughts on the upcoming season.
Jim Rutledge- Hey Rusty how?s practice going
Rusty Smith- Going well, I don?t know if you just saw but I busted out a 40 yard run, I looked like Allen Iverson out there, you know he was a pretty good QB in high school.
JR- True, you don?t share the same ideas about practice do you?
Smith- Nah, I love practice where else do I get to bust out big runs.
JR- Speaking of running, you think you?ll need to do more of that this year with Nello Faulk gone.
Smith- Of course we are going to miss him, but we got some guys who can take his place, I?m not too worried.
JR- You got a big game coming up this season; you travel to Gainesville to take on the defending National Champions. You guys going to win?
Smith- Yeah were going to win! I mean all their guys left, so there young just like us. Tim Teabow is a young QB just like me; all he did last year was run the ball, so I think we can beat them.
JR- You have a lot of confidence in your team
Smith- Heck yeah, we can be just as good as Florida, I grew up a big Gators fan, but I?m a Owl for life now and I think we can be better than UF.

http://theedgeofcollegesports.blogspot.com/

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Rusty interview.

I want some of whatever Rusty is smoking!!!

On a serious note, what is the stat that he averaged over 100 yards per game thru the air?? That isn't an accomplishment and it can't be right unless they took his total yards for the season and divided them by all 12 games (even the ones that he didn't play in). I suppose that is what they did, but bringing that stat to light isn't making anybody fear FAU.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Rusty interview.

If FAU keeps the Florida game within 21 that is a victory. However, I only see that happening if the UF offense struggles to put points on the board. Then and only then will the game have a somewhat close outcome on the scoreboard.

But, hand it to Rusty, he is a complete optimist.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Rusty interview.

owlfan1 said

I want some of whatever Rusty is smoking!!!

On a serious note, what is the stat that he averaged over 100 yards per game thru the air?? That isn't an accomplishment and it can't be right unless they took his total yards for the season and divided them by all 12 games (even the ones that he didn't play in). I suppose that is what they did, but bringing that stat to light isn't making anybody fear FAU.

GO OWLS!!!

not the same guy…not the same season…not the same team…period…

and add in two long biomb threats now…kids got an arm - just didnt get to use it alot…he's matured in a number of areas as well…get the running game going and im telling you we are all in for a treat…that looks like it will happen for sure with the stack of legitimate backs, not scat backs, we signed…a couple of which can play right now…the big question to make this all happen is the o-line…that is the key to this year's season - period…

hes right…and its time everyone start BELIEVING it and walking into it…we will be in thsi game if we play smart, and dont give up the big plays…sure, it will be tought to win it, no doubt…but forget a blow out…those days are behind us…

UF is NOT the same team either - they took a big hit…sure, they have depth, but its going to take some time to get it back, IF they get it back to last years level..

and Tebow doesnt impress me…he's a fullback behind center…

anyway, looking for ward to the game…thats for sure :)
Back to the top

Rusty interview.

owlfan1 said

not the same guy…not the same season…not the same team…period…

I could not agree with you more Owlfan. I went to four Spring practices, including the Spring game, and Rusty is definitely not the same dude. He's much more accurate, faster and just plain bigger!

Also, I was a big Sanchez fan all these past years. But at the Spring game I witnessed Willie Rose really play for the first time. Not only can the dude block and create holes (6'1"…227 so far) but man can he catch! In my book he's almost another TE in Howard's scheme. Interesting that his isn't even mentioned in any of the "predictions". I think he'll be a big time contributor.

I remember reading an article when Howard mentioned how close this team is to beating the any of the BCS teams. I really think this is the case this year. Definitely not the same team…man I can't wait!

-Go Owls!
Back to the top

Rusty interview.

Interesting that his isn't even mentioned in any of the "predictions". I think he'll be a big time contributor.

I've noticed since the start of football at FAU that none of the players will get mentioned until they get plenty of playing time. The sports writers just don't know about anyone until they can see them play. We could have the worlds greatest RS running back ready to play this year and you'll probably never hear about him in any preseason predictions.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Rusty interview.

Who do you think will be Rusty's backup coming out of the August practices and then do you think it might change during the season?
Back to the top

Rusty interview.

I say Clayton
Back to the top

Rusty interview.

Rusty interview.

I agree Clayton will be the #2 guy behind Rusty.

Rusty has done everything you expect and more after last season, he has grown into the leadership and starter role that needed to happen and his confidence has grown leaps and bounds something that will make a big difference this year - the team confidence is at a higher level also and could prove the difference in close games this year between a loss and a win.

Rusty is acting like a true competitor and how winners should act, he will make his share of mistakes along the way, but should provide the chance at big plays along the way, something that this offense has been lacking the past two year and hopefully will help keep opposing Defense honest a bit.
Back to the top

Rusty interview.

Rusty has gone up 1000% in my book…I love his attitude. Now if we can get everyone on the team to believe like he does, miracles will happen. Good for you Rusty…your the man.
Back to the top
Control functions: