Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU in the media

Add topic

Evidenciary support for how the local media projects us into the community:

Last five FAU stories by PALM BEACH POST
- FAU donor's cruise gift to Brogan sparks ethics concerns (negative)
- FAU freshmen get summer reading (neutral)
- 'Fabulous Fourth' celebration on tap for today (positive)
- Presidents want Sun Belt to limit 'body-bag games' (negative)
- State drops Kaye from probe of life insurance firm's practices (positive)

total: 2 negative, 1 neutral, 2 positive; rating: FAIR

Last five FAU stories by BOCA RATON NEWS
- County, FAU ink communications agreement (positive)
- FAU Trustees chief wants affordable housing as part of stadium plan (positive)
- FAU's Weberg to swim in University Games (positive)
- FAU hikes operating budget to nearly $531M for 2007-2008 (positive)
- FAU breaks ground for Office Depot Center for Executive Education (positive)

total: 5 positive, 0 neutral, 0 negative; RATING: pro-FAU

Last five FAU stories by Sun-Sentinel
- Some question judgment of FAU president in accepting free cruise (negative)
- Barry Kaye and FAU (negative)
- FAU team falls short in International Submarine meet (negative)
- FAU sees moderate growth for fall term (neutral)
- Boca Raton: FAU freshmen asked to read book before start of classes (neutral)

total: 3 negative, 2 neutral, 0 positive; RATING: against FAU

I also find it interesting that the Post "crusaded nearly 20 years ago against a new university in Broward County that would have reduced FAU's reach and influence." (from http://www.palmbeachpost.com/opinion/content/opinion/epaper/2007/06/17/a1e_schultzcol_0617.html)

= a perfect testament to the fact that newspapers don't just report the news, they also create it… something which helps to explain this so-called 'cruise' controversy.
Back to the top

FAU in the media

Owlcountry,

I hate to put this on here for all to see but, reading some of the responses in SS and PBP, I would draw a conclusion the FAU's reputation is at an all time low. What are your thoughts?

People will be people but it just amazes me at the conclusions people come up with when they read these stories. Its incredible! I mean in the story about the cruise, people were saying that Brogan is incompetent, a crook, a joke, dishonest and much, much more, just because he accepted an expensive gift. Its like these people know Brogan personally and could make claims like that. Unbelievable! I mean give me a break, someone accepting a gift makes them incompetent at their job?!

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

FAU in the media

Brogan accepting a gift because of his position probably violates some aspect of ethical behavior for state employees.

In Illinois all state employees are required to take an ethics course followed by a short test. It expressly prohibits state employees from taking gifts that may somehow influence the decisions that they make while on the job. It explicitly states things like state officials are not allowed to accept free use of a private yatch owned by an individual who's company is up for a contract to do work for the state (think the owner of a large construction company that wants to get the job building new dorms on campus).

Based on Florida's current ethics system it is a little foggy. They say that he "violated the spirit of the ethics code." Whatever that means.

At the end of the day it isn't just that FAU has received a little bad press. FAU has received a lot. How many strikes can FAU have against it before people start to take notice and start to view FAU in a negative light?? (Think PacMan Jones or Tank Johnson here if you will.) Once is an anomoly, twice is a mistake, three times is a pattern.

I hope all of this doesn't reflect too negatively on FAU, but we have to be honest, it probably will.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

FAU in the media

Brogan has made some very poor decisions IMO.

He and the BOT can rectify their reputation by announcing on campus stadium plans - permanent or temp. , at the start of football season !!
Back to the top

FAU in the media

faualum said

I would draw a conclusion the FAU's reputation is at an all time low.

i would gather that this is not reality we are reading, but fiction penned by opposition, and a defiant spirit…

dont give it any weight…thsi garbage cant, and will not hinder FAUs bright future…

throughout history there have been people who spend their timing spewing this garbage for consumption…they stand for nothing but division in my eyes…

and if you look back, time and time again, they are rendered ineffective at "stopping" anything…the post is garbage, minus Marcus…

and the sentinel, which i dont read, aint much better on the "news"…but i love Ted…he's the bomb…always positive in regards to athletics coverage…he is objective, but positive in nature…
Back to the top

FAU in the media

Florida_Owl said

faualum said

I would draw a conclusion the FAU's reputation is at an all time low.

i would gather that this is not reality we are reading, but fiction penned by opposition, and a defiant spirit…

dont give it any weight…thsi garbage cant, and will not hinder FAUs bright future…

throughout history there have been people who spend their timing spewing this garbage for consumption…they stand for nothing but division in my eyes…

and if you look back, time and time again, they are rendered ineffective at "stopping" anything…the post is garbage, minus Marcus…

and the sentinel, which i dont read, aint much better on the "news"…but i love Ted…he's the bomb…always positive in regards to athletics coverage…he is objective, but positive in nature…

As much as it may be "garbage" it comes from somewhere. It can't be all fabrication.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

FAU in the media

FAU in the media

O.K. how's this If you don't go on this cruse I won't donate 17 million to the university. He's not looking to have his company get all the insurance business or contract to build the stadium or any other building. I also have a hard time believing he was trying to hide anything due to the fact the Sunshine Laws require full disclosure.

If someone wants to donate the funds to build a stadium and he wants to throw a huge party costing around 50 grand I would hope Brogan attends.
Back to the top

FAU in the media

faualum said

Owlcountry, I hate to put this on here for all to see but, reading some of the responses in SS and PBP, I would draw a conclusion the FAU's reputation is at an all time low. What are your thoughts? I mean in the story about the cruise, people were saying that Brogan is incompetent, a crook, a joke, dishonest and much, much more, just because he accepted an expensive gift. Its like these people know Brogan personally and could make claims like that. Unbelievable! I mean give me a break, someone accepting a gift makes them incompetent at their job?!

Well, the stories definitely collect rude comments from FIU/UF fans, older people who don't like Brogan because of his past political background and they're jaded about politicians, people who went here a million years ago and hated it, etc interspersed with positive comments from people on this board (or others).

So it seems to even out.

I think our overall reputation in the community is the same or better than it was at this same point in time last year. It gets better incrementally – in the case of the football stadium for instance – but it would grow larger if the papers supported us the way the Orlando Sentinel supports UCF. Want some comparative data? Do a google news search for UCF. Try to find a negative story. You can't.

Obviously negative things happen… the Orlando Sentinel just don't seem to focus on that the way SS/PBP do here in South Florida.

I do wish the FAU supporters – whether it's out there on PBP/SS boards or here – would be more careful about their spelling and grammar. I know it's just a messageboard and everything, so people feel casual, but it's all a reflection back on the university. When FAU supporters try to rebut something in a story and say things like, "your wrong" or "there campus is different", people tend to ask, "Really? That's how they taught you to spell at FAU?"

Anyway, a lot of the negative comments seem to come from people who don't know much about FAU; I find that a lot of hearsay about the university gets recycled. We have students coming to FAU now whose parents are not thrilled about it because of what they've heard. Orientation does their best to shoot it down.

Maybe there's been more progress than we're aware. I was in HPT the other day and an individual who is here over the summer was talking to his friend.

"Are you coming here?"
"Nope"
"Really? Everybody is coming here."

Sounds like a popular place… despite what the papers say.
Back to the top

FAU in the media

This is kind of ironic, a couple of days ago I saw a neighbor and his youngest daughter is graduating from HS. His son just graduated from UF and he said she didn't really like it there to crowded and looked to old. He asked about FAU and I said you really need to take a look. They are planning on it this weekend. I'll let you know what they come back with. I believe they are also going to look at FIU.
Back to the top

FAU in the media

A little off topic but,

A former supervisor of mine (same company, different department) told me his son is enrolling at FAU this fall. I've done a little bragging on FAU. Not many have heard of it and its 1500 miles from here so I don't bring it up too much.

This kid wanted to go to college in Florida. He completed his AA at a J.C. in Orlando. Now to FAU.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top
Control functions: