Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The Return of FAU Ice Hockey

Add topic

The Return of FAU Ice Hockey

There is something for everyone at FAU.

This article is 2 1/2 pages. I only copied the 1st page. You can read the rest on the link.

Sun-Sentinel Article on the Ice Hockey Team

Florida Atlantic University Owls to return to ice hockey competition
By Maureen Boyce | Special Correspondent
July 15, 2007

The Florida Atlantic University Owls will be back on the ice this fall, following a season-long hiatus from college club competition.

The Owls will return to the American Collegiate Hockey Association's Division 3 South, which includes many of the Southeast's larger colleges and universities.

Also, FAU ice hockey will expand, becoming a multi-tier program that offers something for players of all skill levels.

"We have big plans for this year," coach Tim Frost said. "[We] will be seeking to take FAU Ice Hockey to the next level, while including everyone we can, and not just an elite group of skaters."

In addition to the resurrected ACHA squad, its Tier I team, FAU also will field Tier II and Tier III teams. Criteria for Tier I and II players will be less stringent than for their Tier I counterparts, who must meet rigid ACHA requirements.

To comply with ACHA guidelines, Tier I players must be degree-seeking undergraduates, taking at least nine semester hours, or graduate students carrying at least six semester hours.

Frost described the Tier I club team as "an excellent opportunity to play competitive ice hockey in an exciting and fast-paced environment."

Frost said that he already has 21 "serious" players confirmed for the Tier I squad, and expects that number to climb as word circulates throughout the campus.

The Tier II team is being established to provide playing opportunities for FAU students, who qualify for FAU Club Membership, as well as Palm Beach Community College students.

The Tier II team will compete against collegiate, junior and high-level Midget AA and AAA programs. The team also may be supplemented by Tier I players.

FAU students wishing to play on the Tier II team must be enrolled in at least one class and maintain a minimum 2.0 grade point average. PBCC students will have to purchase a Campus Recreation Facilities and Programs membership.

"This is an ideal team for PBCC students and FAU students who do not meet the admission requirements for Tier I," Frost said.

FAU Ice Hockey's Tier III team is designed to provide opportunities to FAU students who qualify for FAU Club Membership, and also PBCC students who purchase a Campus Recreation Facilities and Programs membership.

The Tier III team will participate in independent contests, tournament play, and in an area adult league.

While the Tier I team will doubtless represent the program's crown jewel, Frost is equally keen about the new Tier I and II squads.

"The Tier II and Tier III teams are open to both men and women," Frost said. "All interested players are encouraged to try out, and any player that attends tryouts will be offered a position on one of the three teams."

Frost already is busy lining up preseason games for the Tier I squad, to help players gear up for the 2007-08 ACHA season.

The Owls' first confirmed challenge, slated in late September, will be a two-game series with the University of South Florida. The Bulls are coming off a successful 2006-07 season, when they compiled an impressive 21-6 record.

The Owls and Ice Bulls will meet Sept. 27, at Incredible ICE, and Sept. 28, at the Ice Sports Forum, in Brandon. Start times have not been finalized.

Frost urges even non-skating FAU students to become involved in ice hockey activities, to help make their newly expanded club a success.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Re: The Return of FAU Ice Hockey

Is anybody going to go to the FAU-USF Hockey game?  I think I may go to the Thursday game, and then hopefully the USF-WV Game friday night.  I think there are a few of us owls in the tampa area, it would be a good time to meet up.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top
Control functions: