Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The Gophers are -1

The Gophers are -1

It seems like the Golden Gophers are having a rough offseason, wtih some guys getting in trouble a few months ago and then this. I wonder if the new Head Coach has a handle on things yet.

Dominic Jones Is So Going to Jail
Posted Jul 16th 2007 10:02PM by Brian Cook
Filed under: Minnesota Football, Big 10, NCAA FB Police Blotter, Breaking News

Earlier today Bruce Ciskie brought you the news that Minnesota cornerback/kick returner Dominic Jones had been arrested for third degree criminal sexual assault, a felony punishable with up to 15 years in jail.

Now… there are details that are publicly available. You may not want these details. Minnesota blog Paging Jim Shikenjanski has provided a link that he sums up like this:

Attached here is the juicy stuff, and by juicy I mean thoroughly disgusting. This is the charging document, and it isn't suitable for those not wishing to read graphic sexual exploits. I'm not going to quote it here, but by all means read the document in its entirety if you want to know what really is alleged here.

This is an accurate description. There are acts ranging from exploitive to despicable detailed. The document is not for the faint of heart. To summarize (and please remember all of this is alleged): Jones had sex with a passed out girl and had Alex Daniels, who you may remember as an impossibly oversized tailback early last year, tape the culmination of the act on his cell phone. The police have the video and DNA evidence.

While the FanHouse does not want to rush to judgement when charges this serious are leveled, unless the charging document is completely erroneous Jones' career and immediate future as a free man are likely over. The case is as open and shut as these things get. Daniels, as an active (and callous) participant in the act, is also likely to be charged with something serious. The other suspended players, Keith Massey and EJ Jones, got the girl drunk (along with Daniels) and had sex with her earlier that night but the document does not mention their whereabouts at the time of the assault. Their fate is still murky.
Back to the top

The Gophers are -1

WE CAN WIN THIS GAME…

Phil Steele has them at 74th in the nation pre-season…not that it means anything, but i really think we have a shot at this game considering these guys will "choke" in the humidity, etc…….

i dont think they are nearly the team we faced previouly, and have to learn a new system and new schemes on top of that…

just my opinion though…
Back to the top

The Gophers are -1

I agree, Florida_Owl. It does mean nothing, but I get the sense that this is a shot we have as well. Admittedly, I do not know that much about Minnesota this year. I do know the first time we played, Lawrence Mulroney ran up about 275 rushing yards on us in the first half and that was a killer. Mr. Mulroney is no longer there and they seem to have some turmoil on the team. This is a prime opportunity. At least it should be a good measure of where we stand.
Back to the top

The Gophers are -1

This is a game you can win. Although the firing of Mason will be good in the long-term, this will be a difficult adjustment this year. Looking at the Big 10, they are probably only better than IU and Illinois.
Back to the top

The Gophers are -1

it would be great for the program to beat someone with so much history and from a major conference. My buddy went to Marist and when they beat a lousy Gopher team in b-ball this year it did a lot for the program.
Back to the top

The Gophers are -1

It is a winnable game if FAU controls the Minnesota run game. We shouldn't forget that Minnesota returns a running back who is one of, if not the fastest RB in the Big 10. Amir Pinnix ran for 1200+ yards last year and averaged 5.0 per carry. He will be looking for a breakout game against FAU.

If the OWLS keep him in check it is FAU's ballgame to win or lose.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

The Gophers are -1

You gotta know if we beat a team like Minesota, the sports news will be all over it, mostly because of Howard. They'll want to report on his newest team being developed after success at UM and UL.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

The Gophers are -1

Gophers are down 4 more…

Brewster dismisses 4 Gophers from football team
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) ? Four University of Minnesota football players being investigated in a sexual assault were kicked off the team Wednesday.

Dominic Jones, a cornerback charged Monday with third-degree criminal sexual conduct in connection with the alleged rape of an 18-year-old woman in April, and three teammates ? running back E.J. Jones, defensive end Alex Daniels and defensive back Keith Massey were dismissed from the team Wednesday, coach Tim Brewster said.

"It is an honor and a privilege to wear the uniform of the University of Minnesota and we have exceedingly high expectations for each of our student-athletes," Brewster said in a statement issued by the university. "We spend a considerable amount of time addressing our players regarding their personal conduct and we will not compromise our values. We are establishing a culture of integrity and we will demand that our players are held accountable for their actions."

Dominic Jones, a junior and one of the team's best defensive players, is accused of having sex with a woman who was "physically helpless" after a night of binge drinking at a campus apartment in early April.

Investigators estimated the woman's blood-alcohol content was more than 0.30 percent when they say Daniels used his cell phone to film Jones having sex with the woman. Forensic scientists later recovered a portion of the deleted film from the phone and say they have DNA evidence linking Jones to the woman.

Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman said Daniels, E.J. Jones and Massey also had sex with the woman earlier in the night. Freeman has not filed charges against those three but said they remain suspects in the case.

Minnesota athletic director Joel Maturi said he supported the dismissals.

"I am in full support of the decision of coach Brewster and I appreciate how he has handled this very difficult situation," Maturi said in the statement. "While this issue is deeply disappointing, the Athletics Department is sending a clear and unmistakable message that it will never compromise its code of conduct."

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

The Gophers are -1

The team will either fold under the pressure, much like Colorado has done recently, or use all of this as motivation to become better, much like Duke lacrosse has done.

With a new coach in place and all of the problems the team is facing we could see Minnesota implode this year. It is unfortunate to see all of this happening, but it might open a window for FAU to pull off the biggest win in school history.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

The Gophers are -1

it would asure of us of having all TV games on as well :)
Back to the top
Control functions: