Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Notre Dame in 2011???

Notre Dame in 2011???

Did anyone see this yesterday? How cool would it be to play a "road" game vs. the Irish in Orlando? Plus it's a national TV game since all their games are on NBC. It doesn't really matter who they play, they'll fill the stadium and it's great for their recruiting in Florida…

Notre Dame games planned for Orlando in 2011, 2014
SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) ? Notre Dame will play football games at the Citrus Bowl Stadium in Orlando, Fla., in 2011 and 2014.

No opponent has been announced for the regular-season games. Notre Dame previously announced it planned to schedule a football game each season at neutral sites starting in 2009 is an attempt to return the school to its independent roots.

Athletic director Kevin White has said the goal is to travel to different parts of the country and ensure that the only school with a national television contract remains a nationwide program.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

Notre Dame in 2011???

I believe they have to complete the renovations for the three venues, The Citrus Bowl, The Orlando Arena, And an new Theater for the Arts. It's something like 1.04 Billion for all three and I believe the commission votes on it tomorrow. Actually the news is on so If I hear anything I'll post it. They are talking about Notre Dame playing at least two game and FSU also mentioned it yesterday. The NFL is talking about possibly using it for a few games.

Here is a couple of articles from the Orlando Sentinel:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/specials/

This is a link from the Local News Station

http://www.wftv.com/video/13727966/index.html
Back to the top

Notre Dame in 2011???

No way Notre Dame will schedule FAU. Notre Dame has a full schedule with traditional rivals. They already have teams that they play every year and some that they play every two or three years. They won't add FAU.

Here are traditional Notre Dame rivals that they play virtually every year: Michigan, Army, Navy, Air Force, USC, Michigan State, Purdue, Boston College, Ga. Tech, UCLA, and Stanford. They usually play some combination of these teams to fill ten games. That only leaves two openings for other teams to be scheduled. Other teams come from BCS conferences. Sorry to burst any bubbles, but there is no chance in hell that Notre Dame will schedule FAU.

Florida State, Ga. Tech, or North Carolina would make sense since Notre Dame has been known to schedule both teams. However, Notre Dame wants the home field advantage so it isn't too likely that they will schedule any team from Florida.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Notre Dame in 2011???

It would be great for FAU, but it wouldn't bring anything to Notre Dame, unfortunately.

They have a national television contract. The networks would never allow it even if Notre Dame wanted it.

Its about TV revenue, and FAU is not there yet. Nice thought though. Go Owls!!!
Back to the top

Notre Dame in 2011???

Notre Dame could sell out a game with Slippery Rock AND have great TV ratings, so playing FAU is possible. I don't know if they are willing, but it is possible as far as the networks go.
Back to the top

Notre Dame in 2011???

TV revenue comes from advertisers. Is General Motors as likely to spend millions of advertising dollars on Notre Dame vs FAU (or Slippery Rock) as they are on Notre Dame vs Michigan? I think not.
Back to the top

Notre Dame in 2011???

Notre Dame is heavily view no matter who they are playing, so my premise is: Yes, they will pay. ND plays a couple of weak teams each year that aren't any better than FAU (or MT) IMO. Notre Dame will always play a weaker opponent each year and they will still attract revenue and viewers because it's Notre Dame. I've seen Neyland Stadium sell out when UT played ULM AND it had great TV coverage and viewership.
Back to the top

Notre Dame in 2011???

BlueRaiderFn said

Notre Dame is heavily view no matter who they are playing, so my premise is: Yes, they will pay. ND plays a couple of weak teams each year that aren't any better than FAU (or MT) IMO. Notre Dame will always play a weaker opponent each year and they will still attract revenue and viewers because it's Notre Dame. I've seen Neyland Stadium sell out when UT played ULM AND it had great TV coverage and viewership.

The difference between the "weak teams" that Notre Dame schedules and teams like FAU or MTSU is that Notre Dame's "weak" opponents have big time name recognition and very strong followings. For example, Notre Dame played North Carolina last year. Not a very good team, but a big name. Notre Dame always plays Army, Navy, and Air Force. Not always good teams, but great name recognition, a storied rivalry, and a huge fan following nationwide. Bottom line, it isn't the quality of the opponent, but the attention that they will draw. Teams like FAU and MTSU don't garner the same kind of attention as teams like North Carolina, Army, Navy, and Air Force.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

Notre Dame in 2011???

North Carolina, Army, Navy etc have little to do with it. If ND is playing, people are watching. I doubt anyone East of Nebraksa hasn't at least heard of MT. FAU is relatively new to the scene, but as long as ND is playing, everyone is tuning in.
Back to the top

Notre Dame in 2011???

So the Notre Dame - Army Rivalry isn't big??? The Notre Dame - Navy Rivalry isn't big???

I was at Notre Dame vs. Army last year and there were thousands of Army fans at the game. Army and Navy have supporters all over the country just like Notre Dame.

Bottom line is that Notre Dame won't schedule some weak-ass opponent that half the country hasn't heard of. They play schools with serious reputations.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top
Control functions: