Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Fun with the preseason poll...

so, lets have some fun with the 6th place prediction…

Last years preseason:

2006 Preseason Sun Belt Poll
As voted on by the league?s eight head coaches.
First place votes in parentheses.

School Points
1. Louisiana-Lafayette (3) 58
2. Arkansas State (2) 50
3. Troy (2) 48
4. North Texas 37
5. Louisiana-Monroe (1) 31
6. Middle Tennessee 29
7. Florida Atlantic 19
8. Florida International 16

Last years actual results:

Final Sun Belt Football Standings 2006

Troy 6-1
Middle Tenn St 6-1
Arkansas St 4-3
Florida Atlantic 4-3
LA-Lafayette 3-4
LA-Monroe 3-4
North Texas 2-5
Florida Intl 0-7

This years preseason SBC poll:

2007 Preseason Sun Belt Poll
As voted on by the league?s eight head coaches.
First place votes in parentheses.

School
2. Middle Tennessee 44
3. Arkansas State (1) 43
T4. Louisiana-Lafayette 37
T4. Louisiana-Monroe (1) 37
6. Florida Atlantic (1) 36
7. North Texas 22
8. Florida International 10

Based on this years poll, and last years results compared to last years preseason poll, this is how things should pan out:

1. Arkansas State - SBC Champ and NO Bowl Contender!
2. Florida Atlantic - goes BOWLING somewhere!!
3. Middle Tennessee - no bowl boys, but a nice season…
4. North Texas - SURPRISE (they flip flop with us from last year)
5. Troy - *DOH* wrong answer "MEDIA"…injury bug takes out the QB…
6. UL Monroe - ruh ro raggy…so much for that running game…
7. UL Lafayette - this is starting to get ugly…
8. FIU - no rest for the weary…and YES it is now very ugly…

Funny thing is, i can see this (results above) happening…

all in fun, but i am kjeeping this to see how is does officially pan out…….

8-)

Back to the top

Evidently based on last year's poll the coaches really have almost no idea what to expect out of the season. I don't know if that is good or bad. However, I do not believe that FAU will finish as low as #6. In my opinion FAU is poised for a run at the title. That means a finish no lower than #3.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Being someone who likes to have a little fun betting on college football (I'm talking small numbers here just to make it a little more interesting) I have learned that it is anyone's game week to week in the Sunbelt. That's why I don't believe you can put any weight in preseason SBC polls.

We have if I am correct the most returning starters overall in the conference with a as much talent on the field as well as, if not more in the coaching department…we are in the hunt this year!

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

They had a story about this on the Blue Raider's site.

Sun Belt-The Toughest Conference to Predict

By Jay Brantley

Posted Jul 23, 2007

With the release of the Sun Belt preseason poll, the question remains, "Is the Sun Belt the toughest conference race to predict?".

With the Sun Belt Media Days taking place in New Orleans this week most Sun Belt fans are really starting to focus on the upcoming season. Every year brings optimism within the Sun Belt. Every fan feels that their team can take the conference championship and they have good reason to believe in their team.
In the six short years that the Sun Belt has sponsored football, six different teams (of the current eight teams in the conference) can lay claim to a share of the conference championship. North Texas has won 3 outright championships and they have been the most dominating team overall, but they have certainly slipped off the Sun Belt mountain top in the past couple of years. North Texas also split the championship in 2001 with Middle Tennessee. Middle Tennessee also claimed a share of the championship in 2006 with Troy. In 2005 Arkansas State, Louisiana-Lafayette, and Louisiana-Monroe finished in a three-way tie for the championship. The only two current teams in the Sun Belt who have not won a share of the championship are Florida Atlantic and Florida International. They happen to be the two newest members of the Sun Belt as well.

http://middletennessee.scout.com/2/660864.html for the rest of the story
Back to the top

It is likely FIU will be at the bottom for the next 2 or 3 years, but everything else is pretty wide open. I thought MTSU looked pretty good last year and FAU certainly ended the season on the upswing.
Back to the top
Control functions: