Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU gets a mention on Howard Stern!!

Add topic

During today's show, an intern came on the air who has been in school for six or seven years, and goes to FAU now after starting at Rhode Island. Dan Taylor is the guy's name.

Howard said "No wonder you read comic books" when he mentioned he went to FAU.

Artie then asked him if we have decent sports teams, and the guy said no >:( He then said our sports teams are nicknamed the Fighting Owls and everyone made fun of that fact.

Any publicity is good publicity, but this clown needs to recognize the success of our teams!!
Back to the top

Obviously this guy, Dan Taylor, is one those students that showed up for class and left immediately after. Probably could care less about anything else. He's a Howard Stern cronie.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

howard stern (name not capatolized on purpose) is a - well im not even going to say it…….

Next…….
Back to the top

A Pig!!!
Back to the top

Regardless of what you think of Howard, the guy still has 6 + million listeners ( was much higher on free radio) and that kid Dan is an idiot. He should have mentioned something positive about our football program. The more fans we pick up around the country the better. Hopefully Artie will bet a few games on FAU (and win) and we can get some more free press…
Back to the top

faudiehard said

Regardless of what you think of Howard, the guy still has 6 + million listeners ( was much higher on free radio) and that kid Dan is an idiot. He should have mentioned something positive about our football program. The more fans we pick up around the country the better. Hopefully Artie will bet a few games on FAU (and win) and we can get some more free press…

While we all would agree that he should have said something positive about FAU, in reality the guy (much like 98% of FAU's population) probably knows next to nothing about our sports teams or victories. If you stop the average person on the Boca campus and ask what conference we're in, you're going to get a lot of wrong answers.

And it's not just us, of course… look at USF… I remember reading an article in their student newspaper wherein the reporter actually walked around campus and asked people questions like, "Who is the football coach?" And got next to nothing.

We'd like FAU to become a big football school. It may very well be that way in the next 20 years, surely in the next 50 years, but there are hurdles other than advertising. For instance, a couple of people told me they came to FAU because it WASN'T a football school. I don't know what percentage of the total population feels like that but a high % is not unlikely considering that people who are hellbent on going to football schools almost always GO to football schools.

Not to say that it's a lost cause BY ANY MEANS…just saying, it's something that needs to be considered in order to get more people interested and prevent this sort of 'Howard Stern missed opportunity' from happening again.
Back to the top

We need to send Stern a "Fake Howard" thong. That will get us some publicity.

:)
Back to the top

While we all would agree that he should have said something positive about FAU, in reality the guy (much like 98% of FAU's population) probably knows next to nothing about our sports teams or victories. If you stop the average person on the Boca campus and ask what conference we're in, you're going to get a lot of wrong answers.

I do believe you because you're there and I'm not but it does seem hard to believe that many students are totaly unaware of the athletics in general. I wouldn't think it takes much of a budget to promote right on campus. One of the things a marketer is supposed to posses is creativity.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

I do believe you because you're there and I'm not but it does seem hard to believe that many students are totaly unaware of the athletics in general. I wouldn't think it takes much of a budget to promote right on campus. One of the things a marketer is supposed to posses is creativity.

They may be aware that we have athletics (inclusive of a football team) but that's the extent of it.

For instance, when the Women's Softball team won the Sun Belt Conference Championship, the average student would only know one of three ways, listed below in order from least likely to most likely (but still rather unlikely):

1. You were told by one of the softballers themselves
  2. You visited fausports.com and saw it
  3. You saw the t-shirt on the FAU bookstore "New merchandise" table

…and it's unfortunate because it's a significant accomplishment for the team. I suggested to both Craig Angelos and Dexter LaMont that we get a billboard on campus to announce these things (and put up schedules when we don't have something to announce) and they said they'd look into it.
Back to the top

If you are correct and many students are not familar with our football team, this will change and change very quickly. I believe the orientation to all in coming freshmen is a hugh plus. Within the next 3 years all students will not only be aware of the football program, but be attending all the games as well. If we can couple that with an on campus stadium, our program is going to move at light speed. And as we all know, once you have the football itch, it then turns into an addiction that will continue to grow each and every year...
Back to the top
Control functions: