Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

UCF Radio Moving In

I understand this is a UCF press release, but I've read a few of your posts relating to the subject.

http://ucfathletics.cstv.com/genrel/073107aab.html

www.essency.net
Back to the top

UCF Radio Moving In

UCF Radio Moving In

I know the idea of the announcement is supposed to be positive, but these stations are weak, full of infomercials and little listened to.

UCF football games will rotate between WLVJ-AM 1040 and WKAT-AM 1360 in Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties, while WPSL-AM 1590 will take the Knights' broadcast into five counties, including Palm Beach, Martin, St. Lucie, Okeechobee and Indian River. A complete weekly radio schedule will be released prior to the start of the season.

FAU games used to be on WLVJ and outside of the south Palm Beach County area, it could barely be heard. At night, forget it.

WPSL is a very local station in Port St. Lucie that can be heard as far south as Stuart and as far north as Fort Pierce. That's it. No Palm Beaches coverage there.

These stations have been known to carry other college games (PSL might even carry FAU games), so that might spell doom for UCF coverage in our area.

But, it's a start and FAU's marketing people better wake up. Soon. Does FAU have a Dade station?
Back to the top

UCF Radio Moving In

Ditto on the wake up call. I don't know if Dade has anything but a friend of mine said that FIU is looking to expand radio coverage north and west. So we have UCF coming at us, UF trying to set up some kind of shop in Lauderdale and FIU may be coming from the south. Hell, Cristobal has already said he is going to concentrate his recruiting in Dade, Broward and Palm Beach. Recruiting is this mans strong point. With the aggressive attitude of FIU from all (Prez, A.D. BOT, Athletics) they are taking it very very serious. Looks like they are leaving no stone unturned. I sure hope the BOT and Brogan take note of what is happening in there own backyard or they are going to nose dive this program. >:(
Back to the top

UCF Radio Moving In

I agree with the wake up call and I hope someone is paying attention but in reality no one cares about UCF in South Florida. I can pay to broadcast my thought on the ridiculousness of the BCS but no one is going to listen to that either.

On a different note…can someone explain that cluster of helmets for Essency, that's not C*USA .

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

UCF Radio Moving In

1. Apparently people do care, as we are opening new networks in South Florida.

2. A huge portion of UCF students come from the area…..to think they, and their parents wouldn't want to hear UCF games is naive.

3. That cluster of helmets is our schedule.

4. The point of expanding UCF radio is to capture new fans….those who "dont care" as of now. That's the point of marketing, and a reason why UCF is next going into the Jacksonville market.
Back to the top

UCF Radio Moving In

As usual, UCF acting too big for its britches.

PSL and far south Palm Beach County listeners might hear some of the games on these ratings-, wattage- and listener-challenged stations, when the sun is shining. West Palm Beach - nah.
Back to the top

UCF Radio Moving In

BMarkey said

As usual, UCF acting too big for its britches.

PSL and far south Palm Beach County listeners might hear some of the games on these ratings-, wattage- and listener-challenged stations, when the sun is shining. West Palm Beach - nah.

LOL! Ya, marketing and expanding our radio network is just UCF acting too big!!

Markey, your disdain for everything UCF has cluttered any common sense you had.

6 years ago nobody would have believed we'd have 25,000 season ticket holders today. 6 years from now, I'm sure people will be saying the same thing about carving a fan base in South Florida.

Don't hate on UCF just because Tribble is being very pro-active.
Back to the top

UCF Radio Moving In

If i use your analogy correctly, then we (FAU) are missing a GRAND opportunity…

What? Next we have radio in New Jersey for football games?

How about New York??

We have tons of Alumni in the Northeast…

BTW,

nobody is driving four hours each time you have a game - each way…if they want to listen on the radio - fine…

But they better be direhards to carve out five to six full weekends a year to make those hauls…

My former boss is about as diehard as you get and she would only do ONE…….
Back to the top

UCF Radio Moving In

The University of Central Florida somehow is going to ignite the interest of fans in South Florida. Uh-huh. You overstimate the level of interest any of us down here have for your area.

Win some games, and your conference (like you folks claimed you were going to do in the MAC), and then talk some smack.
Back to the top

UCF Radio Moving In

BMarkey said

The University of Central Florida somehow is going to ignite the interest of fans in South Florida. Uh-huh. You overstimate the level of interest any of us down here have for your area.

Win some games, and your conference (like you folks claimed you were going to do in the MAC), and then talk some smack.

To be fair, UCF is a school of choice among high school grads in South Florida. There are a number of reasons for that, of course, and it's an aside to go into them.

Something worth noting, however, is that their population is roughly double our size (45k as compared to 26k) so their alumni base is likely stretched out to… well, South Florida. And that alumni base surely wants to keep in touch with the Knights.

So UCF moving into PBC is not a dumb move, necessarily, although it is of course insulting to all of us in South Florida who are proud of OUR teams and would like to see the fire of passion for our own schools grow unabated.

I do believe that, once more housing and the stadium come to campus (and that's very soon), our fire is going to rage a lot hotter than it ever has been and FAU will be the dominant force in Palm Beach County. UCF may carve out a niche but FAU will still be dominant.

Just my opinion.
Back to the top
Control functions: