Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

PBP and Kimberly

Add topic

I posted this because it was kind of humorous and sad at the same time. Again, he Kimberly Miller continues to find ways to write negative stories about FAU. I believed she was trying her best to be informative but failed, again. This is really stretching it though.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2007/08/02/m1a_FAU_BIRTH_0802.html
Back to the top

PBP and Kimberly

This has got to be one of the worse several months for bad publicity I can think of. I don't think some of the news qualifies for "any publicity is good publicity".

Did anyone read "The Harrad Experiment"? This article and some of the comments makes FAU seem like the college portrayed in the book.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

PBP and Kimberly

Talon said

I posted this because it was kind of humorous and sad at the same time. Again, he Kimberly Miller continues to find ways to write negative stories about FAU. I believed she was trying her best to be informative but failed, again. This is really stretching it though.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2007/08/02/m1a_FAU_BIRTH_0802.html

How is this a negative article about FAU? It's just stating the statewide shortage with comments from FAU officials, i'm guessing, since then reporter already has contacts at the university.

Do you think someone will chose not to go to FAU because birth control bills cost too much?

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

PBP and Kimberly

Point being anything and everything she writes has tones of negativity. It has nothing to do with whether or not you will attend FAU. But I guess we can all thank her for warning the kids at FAU that there will be a contraceptive shortage. Another words who gives a good crap .

No story about the new engineering school or the Red Shovel Movement etc etc etc. Just crap all the time
Back to the top

PBP and Kimberly

Talon said

Point being anything and everything she writes has tones of negativity. It has nothing to do with whether or not you will attend FAU. But I guess we can all thank her for warning the kids at FAU that there will be a contraceptive shortage. Another words who gives a good crap .

No story about the new engineering school or the Red Shovel Movement etc etc etc. Just crap all the time

With all due respect, I think many of you are way off base with the notion that "the media is against us." Not all recent articles in the papers have been negative. Most have been fairly neutral, just your perception has been negative.

Just a quick search on PalmBeachPost.com produced several positive articles about FAU, and many by Mrs. Miller:

Medical school at FAU takes students beyond emergency room

High schoolers learn CSI techniques at FAU Honors College

Summer theater at FAU worth watching

Sure, we would all love it if nothing negative is ever written about FAU, that however is not reality. Does the media sensationalize news? Of course it does, anyone who has watched Channel 7 out of Miami knows how true that is. But that's how they make their money.

And as for the new engineering building or the red shovel idea, has anyone called Mrs. Miller or anyone else at the Post. Or anyone at the Sentinel, or anyone at the Boca News? Or is everyone just sitting around waiting for "our buddy" Ted Hutton to write a glowing article about how great FAU is?

Back to the top

PBP and Kimberly

You should read his last several blog's he has actually been a strong supporter of the program
Back to the top

PBP and Kimberly

I've read all of his posts, and just about every article writen about FAU.Just because Ted is the Sentinel's FAU beat writer doesn't mean he should be pro-FAU. It doesn't mean he should be anti-FAU either. Ted, as a journalist, should be an unbiased observer in his reporting. (It's kind of like how all the radio and TV announcers of our local stations now have to be homers for the local teams and are encouraged to "cheer" on the air for the Marlins/Dolphins/Heat whatever. Just call the damn game and let us cheer.)

Blogs are a different story since he basically is writing just for the fans. On the other hand, I dont think you really can consider blogs to be a true form of reporting since just about anyone can blog about whatever they want. It's generally the blogger's opinion based on a few facts.

It just burns me whenever someone complains about negative press because for the most part, negative or not, it's the bloody truth.

I love the fact that Ted is a supporter of FAU, but I don't want to read articles that kiss FAU's ass. Face it, if the papers were to write that everything is great at FAU, we probably wouldn't get to read very about our school.

Back to the top

PBP and Kimberly

CanadianOwl said

I've read all of his posts, and just about every article writen about FAU.Just because Ted is the Sentinel's FAU beat writer doesn't mean he should be pro-FAU. It doesn't mean he should be anti-FAU either. Ted, as a journalist, should be an unbiased observer in his reporting. (It's kind of like how all the radio and TV announcers of our local stations now have to be homers for the local teams and are encouraged to "cheer" on the air for the Marlins/Dolphins/Heat whatever. Just call the damn game and let us cheer.)

Blogs are a different story since he basically is writing just for the fans. On the other hand, I dont think you really can consider blogs to be a true form of reporting since just about anyone can blog about whatever they want. It's generally the blogger's opinion based on a few facts.

It just burns me whenever someone complains about negative press because for the most part, negative or not, it's the bloody truth.

I love the fact that Ted is a supporter of FAU, but I don't want to read articles that kiss FAU's ass. Face it, if the papers were to write that everything is great at FAU, we probably wouldn't get to read very about our school.

Right now, we need the ass-kissing. In the future it can even out but for now, yeah. We're in a period of high growth and every little bit helps.

I'm as much an anti-Kimberly Miller person as you'll find but I have to admit that she's written some more positive things about FAU recently (case in point, the new medical school curriculum). I've also noticed that her pieces are not accompanied by opportunities to post public comments… after the Davenport thing and the letter from Brogan and Co, they nixed the public comment section for awhile. It may be back now; I didn't check recently.

That being said, I also don't think the birth control pill article was negative. It was very straight-forward. It mentioned that FAU stockpiled it, which made us look good.

Along the same lines, I think Ted and Marcus are both positive about FAU in general (and I'm grateful for that) but they do share in our frustrations about the poor marketing efforts or the slow pace of the stadium. This may come across as slightly negative spin but it's the truth. When Marcus said that marketing used to put out small pads with the game schedules and then bemoan the fact that people didn't show up – it was a pointed observation. He's absolutely right. That's unacceptable. It's unacceptable but in a very tight financial environment (as they had in Athletics for the past couple of years) we can say it's forgivable.

Again, it's not that Dexter LaMont doesn't know what he's doing there. He came from FSU. That alone tells us what he knows and what he'd like to duplicate here. But there are problems that we the board don't see that they endure… there's always a reason for these things.

Hopefully the tide is changing and they'll give Athletics more freedom. However, there is definitely an undercurrent of adversity towards athletics from several departments, both academic and otherwise.
Back to the top

PBP and Kimberly

PBP and Kimberly

I may have gotten carried away with the story so Peace Out guys.
Back to the top
Control functions: