Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Keeping track of a former player

Yep, Souverain is now a Bocat, as in Bethune-Cookman.

The Wildcats held their first official practice on Wednesday

Aug. 8, 2007

Daytona Beach, Fla. - Bethune-Cookman University Football 2007 officially got underway amidst 90+ temperatures on Wednesday afternoon, a typical day in Daytona Beach this time of year. But the heat the `Cats are feeling is a different kind … the heat put on them by head coach Alvin B. Wyatt, Sr.

The team suffered their first losing season since 1997 last year, and that is something Coach Wyatt and his staff is determined not to allow that to happen again.

"We are ready for the season, and I am glad to be back out there," expressed Coach Wyatt. "We have a good group of guys that I think, well I know, will be ready for the challenge of this year."

The Wildcats appeared to be in great shape, and they ran through multiple drills on Wednesday afternoon. New assistant coach C. Ray Gregory seemed comfortable at his position amongst the A-Backs, while Greg Ross settled in nicely with the receivers (moving from the quarterbacks' position). Raymond Gross has assumed the duties of quarterbacks coach for the 2007 campaign.

Several newcomers to the program appeared to struggle with the conditioning regiment that Coach Wyatt has in store for the `Cats. His camp, said to be one of the toughest around, embraces the heat because he knows that is their element–and visitors to Daytona Beach will not be used to it. The `Cats went through normal runs and sprints before breaking up into their positions for assignments, etc.

The quarterbacks consisted of both Jimmie Russell and newcomer McKinson Souverain who transferred into the program over the summer. Souverain saw time as a quarterback at Florida Atlantic prior to his arrival at Bethune-Cookman.

The question marks, if there are any, for the Wildcats are how to replace the likes of an Eric Weems or a Taurean Charles in a summer? According to Coach Wyatt, that is not a problem.

"Oh, believe me, we have that filled," exclaims Coach Wyatt. "We have guys that are literally begging to become the next great thing here at Bethune-Cookman University. Corey Council and others are ready to step up, and I believe they will. We have those places filled, and that's not a question mark for me."

The `Cats open up the season on Sept. 1 against Jacksonville University at 4 p.m. in Daytona Beach. JU first-year head coach Kerwin Bell is a legend amongst the Florida high school scene, but adjusting to the collegiate game will be the biggest question mark for him and his staff. He carried several state title contenders and winners to both "The Swamp" in Gainesville and the Orange Bowl in Miami while serving as head coach of the Trinity High School program in Ocala. Bell was a former starting quarterback and eventual assistant coach at the University of Florida with Steve Spurrier.

Back to the top

I still think that will be the best place for him to show off his skills.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

Totally agree - He should have one year left by the time he get to play at BC-C. The guy has enough talent with the wyatt-bone offense they run to be successfull.
Back to the top
Control functions: