Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Owls Advertising

Owls Advertising

How many things our marketing department does make any kind of sense?
Back to the top

Owls Advertising

owlfan1 said

I was in Florida a few weeks back and actually heard numerous radio commercials promoting FAU football. Most focused on the the tough non-conference schedule, but all were good in my opinion.

GO OWLS!!!

Im quite happy with the Radio and major billboards. A good start and one that is needed to help promote the team. You locals have seen Glades Rd. These days, How many THOUSANDS of cars drive by FAU campus on thier way East and West each day?

A simple sign listing the dates of each home game, with which team is playing could only help spread the word even more to the locals not to mention the STUDENTS who we need to show up. I belive Troy as such a billboard up, and it has the logos of the teams they are playing at home. This would be great for FAU and the Sunbelt confrence.

This IMHO is THE year to get it done. Full steam ahead should and do ANYTHING to get butts in the seats.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Owls Advertising

owlfamily said

Bytor said

It would be nice to see a nice blitz heading into the home opener.

As I have driven by FAU entrances for the past month, I have seen NO signs up of any sort for the game. Even the "electronic" one has nothing up.

Ive often wondered why FAU doesn't take advantage of its location on Glades Rd (A primary Boca Raton Artery) to push its athletics? The land is not owned by the city, so I'm sure FAU could put up signs. I know they will put out the signs saying what day the game is for the week it is once we hit that week. NOT ENOUGH!

Why cant they push more the September 1st game NOW? The week of the game is almost too late IMHO. Just tired of not seeing a lot of getting the word out. The billboards are nice, but COME ON, take advantage of your location.

I would also wonder why nothing is up at the University Commons sites? It has a FAU symbol right on the entrance sign. How about having Whole foods, Circuit City, and the other stores with a FAU football sign in the window?

A couple of things.

One, the billboard on I-95 is in a bad spot. It's on the left side when you're driving on the right side. It's also difficult to read at 65 miles/hour. But at least it's something. I know FAU hired an advertising agency to help them out and I have a feeling like the ad agency found an empty billboard for which FAU could advertise from. It was probably cheaper since it's not in an ideal spot. And FAU probably jumped on it.

The digital Marquee at the first FAU entrance off Glades is controlled by the Student Government Association. If they don't request something be put up there, nothing does. So write to either the President or Vie Prez of Student Government if you'd like and tell them to get something up there ASAP. I know there's plans for a FAU vs UF message up there.

We're not able to post signs along Glades because Boca is really stringent about things. I've heard through the grapevine that Brogan has made some progress talking to the mayor and we should hopefully see something soon. Dexter LaMont (Director of Marketing for FAU Athletics) and crew put up signs in Boca before a game and almost got fined by the city. So they're not too keen to do that again.

Another problem is that, and this is not entirely a bad argument, almost no students are on campus right now. If your goal is to inspire students to go to the game, you're more effective if you put up signs closer to the end of this week. Although, granted, you can still get people from Boca who drive by.

Or can you? The whole problem is that billboards and marquees mean nothing to most people. Great, FAU is playing MTSU, who cares? On this messageboard, we do, and the prOWLers and Howard's Hellraisers and so forth, we all do, but what about the average Boca fogey or – more importantly, the 10k+ students who attend here but don't attend games? The answer is that the team needs to win against schools people care about (like UF, UM, UCF, FSU) and students need to enjoy the whole experience. They need to be sold on tailgating, the drinking and the barbecueing and the cursing, and they have to know other people who are going to the game and psyched about it, and so forth. Signs and banners and marquees are a start but really, these things are only going to grow big by word of mouth.

That's why Bury the Burrow II was so popular. People went to the first one, had a great time, came back and posted pictures of it on their Facebook and talked it up… then the second event came around and it was like, "Hey, are you going to the game tonight?" "What game?" "THE game."

"THE game" has now become the FAU vs UF game. THE game could be against UM next year and FSU the following year if there's ANY way we can schedule that. Since FAU and UM haven't announced anything, and UM's coach said something to the effect of, "We've mentioned it but that's about it", I won't be surprised if that never materializes. Which is a shame. But perhaps we could nab another game against UCF. That would be a big game too.

In regards to the University Commons, I asked the very same question to Athletics. I might have even asked Craig Angelos on his ASK THE AD. Essentially, FAU gives them promotional materials and "it's up to them whethere they hang it up or not." I suppose FAU is afraid to tell them, "Hey, we own this, you're going to do this one thing for us or you can find a new location." – especially to a place like P.F. Chang's, which makes a tremendous livelihood off of which FAU benefits.

It's frustrating. But there are students on-campus pushing for more Owls stuff. The new dorm, Glades Park Towers, had at least a handful of FAU athletics schedules/posters on the first floor, including one for football. That's a start for a department (Housing) that has an anti-athletics reputation.
Back to the top

Owls Advertising

owlcountry said

owlfamily said

As I have driven by FAU entrances for the past month, I have seen NO signs up of any sort for the game. Even the "electronic" one has nothing up.

Ive often wondered why FAU doesn't take advantage of its location on Glades Rd (A primary Boca Raton Artery) to push its athletics? The land is not owned by the city, so I'm sure FAU could put up signs. I know they will put out the signs saying what day the game is for the week it is once we hit that week. NOT ENOUGH!

Why cant they push more the September 1st game NOW? The week of the game is almost too late IMHO. Just tired of not seeing a lot of getting the word out. The billboards are nice, but COME ON, take advantage of your location.

I would also wonder why nothing is up at the University Commons sites? It has a FAU symbol right on the entrance sign. How about having Whole foods, Circuit City, and the other stores with a FAU football sign in the window?

A couple of things.

One, the billboard on I-95 is in a bad spot. It's on the left side when you're driving on the right side. It's also difficult to read at 65 miles/hour. But at least it's something. I know FAU hired an advertising agency to help them out and I have a feeling like the ad agency found an empty billboard for which FAU could advertise from. It was probably cheaper since it's not in an ideal spot. And FAU probably jumped on it.

The digital Marquee at the first FAU entrance off Glades is controlled by the Student Government Association. If they don't request something be put up there, nothing does. So write to either the President or Vie Prez of Student Government if you'd like and tell them to get something up there ASAP. I know there's plans for a FAU vs UF message up there.

We're not able to post signs along Glades because Boca is really stringent about things. I've heard through the grapevine that Brogan has made some progress talking to the mayor and we should hopefully see something soon. Dexter LaMont (Director of Marketing for FAU Athletics) and crew put up signs in Boca before a game and almost got fined by the city. So they're not too keen to do that again.

Another problem is that, and this is not entirely a bad argument, almost no students are on campus right now. If your goal is to inspire students to go to the game, you're more effective if you put up signs closer to the end of this week. Although, granted, you can still get people from Boca who drive by.

Or can you? The whole problem is that billboards and marquees mean nothing to most people. Great, FAU is playing MTSU, who cares? On this messageboard, we do, and the prOWLers and Howard's Hellraisers and so forth, we all do, but what about the average Boca fogey or – more importantly, the 10k+ students who attend here but don't attend games? The answer is that the team needs to win against schools people care about (like UF, UM, UCF, FSU) and students need to enjoy the whole experience. They need to be sold on tailgating, the drinking and the barbecueing and the cursing, and they have to know other people who are going to the game and psyched about it, and so forth. Signs and banners and marquees are a start but really, these things are only going to grow big by word of mouth.

That's why Bury the Burrow II was so popular. People went to the first one, had a great time, came back and posted pictures of it on their Facebook and talked it up… then the second event came around and it was like, "Hey, are you going to the game tonight?" "What game?" "THE game."

"THE game" has now become the FAU vs UF game. THE game could be against UM next year and FSU the following year if there's ANY way we can schedule that. Since FAU and UM haven't announced anything, and UM's coach said something to the effect of, "We've mentioned it but that's about it", I won't be surprised if that never materializes. Which is a shame. But perhaps we could nab another game against UCF. That would be a big game too.

In regards to the University Commons, I asked the very same question to Athletics. I might have even asked Craig Angelos on his ASK THE AD. Essentially, FAU gives them promotional materials and "it's up to them whethere they hang it up or not." I suppose FAU is afraid to tell them, "Hey, we own this, you're going to do this one thing for us or you can find a new location." – especially to a place like P.F. Chang's, which makes a tremendous livelihood off of which FAU benefits.

It's frustrating. But there are students on-campus pushing for more Owls stuff. The new dorm, Glades Park Towers, had at least a handful of FAU athletics schedules/posters on the first floor, including one for football. That's a start for a department (Housing) that has an anti-athletics reputation.

1.) Agree about the billboard but like you said they probably got a deal and jumped on it. Fine by me at least its something.

2.) I would think that SGA and athletics would talk to each other to post the game. How can I contact them? EVERY game should be on that board, (this includes all sports not just football) SGA is responsible for student life and athletics SHOULD be a big part of that IMHO. Why is the sign under the auspices of SGA anyway?

3.) I thought all that land was University property? How can the city enforce somethign on land that it doesnt own or have control over? If they got burned its understandable why they wouldnt do it again, but I would think they could do what they want. Hence why the didnt need approval for university commons from the city.

4.) More reach out needs to be done to the merchants in UC then. If they get the material and dont put it up, then marketing or athletics should be asking why they dont? There has to be a reason why, at least find out.

Thank you for your reply, you cleared up a few issuses for me, and have raised a few more questions. Always a good thing from a message board. ;D

Back to the top

Owls Advertising

I saw the billboard yesterday. Yes, I am happy to see they are advertising, however the actual billboard ad is horrible. It is way to busy. We as fans are looking for it, however, if you were not a diehard fan, you would totally miss it. Personally, I think it would be A LOT more effective, if they just had a white bill board with Howards face on it and it said in giant blue lettering with a red outline....."OWL COUNTRY". Very short and to the point. Everyone would see it while driving 65 -70 mph south bound on I-95....It would be much more effective.
Back to the top

Owls Advertising

The "Owl Country" radio ads are good. I hear them many times a day on WZZR (94.3). They are apparently on all the Clear Channel stations in the Palm Beaches. The campaign is the best yet for FAU.

But I would still like to see signs and ads in newspapers (including the smaller community papers) in central and north county, as well as the Treasure Coast, which have FAU campuses.

The other night, I actually heard two of the late afternoon hosts talking FAU football. This had to be a first for them and they only mentioned it because FAU sponsored the traffic report or something. The one guy is a UF (doubt he went there) lover and the top host is a self-proclaimed pro sports expert. But they talked for a minute or so about FAU's tough schedule, Howard and the fatc that the Owls are taking on all comers - the tougher the better. Now, if callers would bring up FAU (and the Josh & the Home team show from 5 to 7 p.m. does talk a lot of sports), some good dialogue could result.

The electronic board at the FAU entrance is almost impossible to read. You have to be in the turn lane. Large type is necessary and maybe better placement toward passerby traffic.

Troy does have a nice computerized sign and board. It is always scrolling messages about games, etc. to passersby on U.S. 231 (the main drag and major artery from Alabama and the Midwest to the Panhandle beaches).

Back to the top

Owls Advertising

The clear channel adds can be heard in the Treasure Coast area I believe as far as Port St. Lucie. As for billboards, there isn't anything up that way. I would think a push on te Jupiter campus would make an impact since the campus is growing.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Owls Advertising

BMarkey said

The "Owl Country" radio ads are good. I hear them many times a day on WZZR (94.3). They are apparently on all the Clear Channel stations in the Palm Beaches. The campaign is the best yet for FAU.

But I would still like to see signs and ads in newspapers (including the smaller community papers) in central and north county, as well as the Treasure Coast, which have FAU campuses.

The other night, I actually heard two of the late afternoon hosts talking FAU football. This had to be a first for them and they only mentioned it because FAU sponsored the traffic report or something. The one guy is a UF (doubt he went there) lover and the top host is a self-proclaimed pro sports expert. But they talked for a minute or so about FAU's tough schedule, Howard and the fatc that the Owls are taking on all comers - the tougher the better. Now, if callers would bring up FAU (and the Josh & the Home team show from 5 to 7 p.m. does talk a lot of sports), some good dialogue could result.

The electronic board at the FAU entrance is almost impossible to read. You have to be in the turn lane. Large type is necessary and maybe better placement toward passerby traffic.

Troy does have a nice computerized sign and board. It is always scrolling messages about games, etc. to passersby on U.S. 231 (the main drag and major artery from Alabama and the Midwest to the Panhandle beaches).

I took a long look at that sign today while I was stuck at the light. All it spammed was "Welcome to FAU" Followed by a reminder that the speed limit on campus is 25MPH. Thats it over and over again.

This resource needs to be more utilized, and I agree BM its hard to read. Good thing the light can take a while so you can look at it.

Back to the top

Owls Advertising

owlfamily said

1.) Agree about the billboard but like you said they probably got a deal and jumped on it. Fine by me at least its something.

2.) I would think that SGA and athletics would talk to each other to post the game. How can I contact them? EVERY game should be on that board, (this includes all sports not just football) SGA is responsible for student life and athletics SHOULD be a big part of that IMHO. Why is the sign under the auspices of SGA anyway?

3.) I thought all that land was University property? How can the city enforce somethign on land that it doesnt own or have control over? If they got burned its understandable why they wouldnt do it again, but I would think they could do what they want. Hence why the didnt need approval for university commons from the city.

4.) More reach out needs to be done to the merchants in UC then. If they get the material and dont put it up, then marketing or athletics should be asking why they dont? There has to be a reason why, at least find out.

Thank you for your reply, you cleared up a few issuses for me, and have raised a few more questions. Always a good thing from a message board. ;D

The more I ask questions, the more the story unfolds… even if it's in frustrating ways. Sometimes answers are given, like "They decide whether to put it up or not" to which you think, "and…?!?!?"

1) Agreed.

2) Both the current President and Vice President of the Student Government strongly support FAU athletics. I don't know why things are not on the billboard yet, although I do know that they have a million errands/meetings to attend. I also know that the marquee was broken over most of the summer, so they probably invested a sizable amount of time in that. I have seen some renderings of proposed marquee ads for athletic events and they look great. One is green with an Owl head and a Gator head and it says, in blue and red letters, "FAU FOOTBALL" and "Novermber 17th" with the fausport URL on it. Simple and effective. Hope to see that up there. Another one is blue with the Owl Head and it says, "Welcome to Owl Country."

In regard to why the sign is under the auspices of SGA… they paid for it. University Communications wants to take it over, but SGA wants to retain it to advertise these sorts of things. Otherwise the Marquee would just say things like "FAU presents Orchid Thief collection in Wimberly Library, Aug.20-Sept.4th" and no one would read it because no one gives a damn about things like that. Well, almost no one.

3) You are correct in that Boca does not own the land and cannot quite say what goes on there. However, I'm not sure where the line is drawn in the sand between Glades and FAU exactly. I know that Boca won't allow FAU banners on our side of Glades, which shouldn't be their jurisdiction, I don't know. I also know that Boca councils work very, very, very hard to contain FAU and make sure it doesn't become a traditional university and change Boca into a college town. We're going to do it anyway so **** 'em.

4) I can't speak for why they don't put it up. I know that there's no particular profit to be made off of a six-year-old football team in a relatively-unimpressive conference (in terms of national championships). I know that an Owl head or poster would be extremely out of place at upscale restaurants like P.F. Chang's or Mon Ami. Barnes and Nobles has been cooperative… if you haven't been in there, they sell FAU clothing in a small corner and upstairs is a designated "study area" with an FAU mural on the wall. So they help. I don't spend much time in Whole Foods so I'm not sure about them. But the Driver's Seat and the Circuit City could put up small racks with brochures at their registers for FAU football. I'd also really like to see FAU stuff at the Publix on Federal Highway.
Back to the top

Owls Advertising

Owls Advertising

BMarkey said

I haven't heard them. Is there anywhere online to hear them?

Do they actually use the term "Owl Country"? That's amazing if they do.
Back to the top
Control functions: