Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Owls Advertising

Owls Advertising

Owlcountry, I especially like your answer to #3 and agree 100%. There idea of proactive in no-active
Back to the top

Owls Advertising

I also know that Boca councils work very, very, very hard to contain FAU and make sure it doesn't become a traditional university and change Boca into a college town. We're going to do it anyway so **** 'em.

Are you sure about this? With the demise of the presence of IBM, FAU is the big dog I would think in terms of economic impact on Boca Raton. Are they worried the wrong "element" will be brought into Boca and have a negative effect on housing prices?

I know there are some bad feelings over University commons. I believe the city was told that land would be used for student housing.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Owls Advertising

illinoisowl said

I also know that Boca councils work very, very, very hard to contain FAU and make sure it doesn't become a traditional university and change Boca into a college town. We're going to do it anyway so **** 'em.
Are you sure about this? With the demise of the presence of IBM, FAU is the big dog I would think in terms of economic impact on Boca Raton.

That's what I keep hearing. They don't want FAU banners on Glades. They don't want Greek housing here at all. They don't really want the traffic a stadium would bring. These are all things I've heard. Whether they're all true is a matter of some conjecture, of course, but to date we have none of these things – so it may not be entirely unreasonable.

illinoisowl said

Are they worried the wrong "element" will be brought into Boca and have a negative effect on housing prices?

Possible. Having even 40k kids on FAU's main campus would cause some local turmoil, no doubt. But I think they're psyching themselves out about it.

One thing to consider is what happened at USF… where the lower cost of housing around the school (something intended to help students) ended up attracting lowlifes from nearby areas and made the area around the school a less-than-safe place. I'm sure Boca doesn't want that. So that may explain why FAU doesn't have a lot of off-campus housing… although Casa Del Rio, Bicycle Club, etc come pretty close.

illinoisowl said

I know there are some bad feelings over University commons. I believe the city was told that land would be used for student housing.
Agreed… does anyone know when/why they decided to go with the University Commons idea instead? I'll bet it was Catanese's idea. He has made most of the bad decisions in FAU's history (multiple campus structure, for instance)
Back to the top

Owls Advertising

I haven't heard them. Is there anywhere online to hear them?

WIRK (107.X?), WZZR (94.3), WILD (95.5), the Gater (98.7) and the oldies KOOL (105.5?) and any other Clear Channel station. I hear it most on 94.3.

Here's a list of them:
http://www.clearchannel.com/Radio/StationSearch.aspx?RadioSearch=West%20Palm%20Beach

Do they actually use the term "Owl Country"? That's amazing if they do.

I was wrong. I think the dittie is: "Owl Time! Owl Time!"
Back to the top

Owls Advertising

Yeah, it is the same as on the athletics website, "What time is it?? Its Owl Time."

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Owls Advertising

owlcountry said

illinoisowl said

Possible. Having even 40k kids on FAU's main campus would cause some local turmoil, no doubt. But I think they're psyching themselves out about it.

One thing to consider is what happened at USF… where the lower cost of housing around the school (something intended to help students) ended up attracting lowlifes from nearby areas and made the area around the school a less-than-safe place. I'm sure Boca doesn't want that. So that may explain why FAU doesn't have a lot of off-campus housing… although Casa Del Rio, Bicycle Club, etc come pretty close.

How about UM?
Back to the top

Owls Advertising

Owls Advertising

owlcountry said

In regards to the University Commons, I asked the very same question to Athletics. I might have even asked Craig Angelos on his ASK THE AD. Essentially, FAU gives them promotional materials and "it's up to them whethere they hang it up or not." I suppose FAU is afraid to tell them, "Hey, we own this, you're going to do this one thing for us or you can find a new location." – especially to a place like P.F. Chang's, which makes a tremendous livelihood off of which FAU benefits.

It's frustrating. But there are students on-campus pushing for more Owls stuff. The new dorm, Glades Park Towers, had at least a handful of FAU athletics schedules/posters on the first floor, including one for football. That's a start for a department (Housing) that has an anti-athletics reputation.

It's interesting that on Yamato, just west of 95, there is a McDonalds and a new Millers' Ale House restaurant. They both feature FAU sports decorations inside. The McD's has an FAU basketball jerseys and the Ale House (Good place to hang - good food too), has an FAU Football helmet in a case….looks great. Could be a good opportunity for FAU to establish a mutually advantage relationship with merchants like these. In the very least let the student body know they exist.

There's a Miller's Ale House in Tallahassee also. They have the same thing inside, an FSU and FAMU football helmets. It's a place were both students and alumni can have a nice time.
Back to the top

Owls Advertising

Yep. That McDonald's is the nicest McDonald's I've ever been in. Not only is there a jersey on the wall, there is also a TV looping video of last year's football highlights. It's awesome.

In order to see more FAU stuff in places around campus, customers have to request it, right? I'm going to start going into the Publix on Federal and ask if they have any FAU stuff (I don't think they do currently)

Athletics signed some sort of contract with Moe's but apparently that means nothing to them because all they have up is one small poster.
Back to the top

Owls Advertising

<sigh>

Good news:

New sign in WPB heading South on I-95 just before Belvedere. Good location nice visibility. Good to see.

Bad News:

4 days till the big game, Electronic sign now dark (nothing on it at all) no signs on campus at entrances. Drove down by the Dorms along the East entrance. NOTHING.

I really hope we have a good crowd, but my god it sure seems like they dont want to make the extra effort to get out the word.

<Sigh>

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top
Control functions: