Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Accounting top student scholarship program

Add topic

This is close to my heart so I had to put it on the board.

FAU already has a prestigious accounting program and the graduates are in big demand by both accounting firms and industry. This will really enhance an already great program.

This may bore alot of people but I was excited to see it since I was an accounting major at FAU. My degree from FAU has opened alot of doors.

http://www.fau.edu/communications/mediarelations/Releases0807/080714.php

FAU School of Accounting to Launch Scholars Program for Top Students

BOCA RATON, FL (August 30, 2007) - With the beginning of this academic year, top students in Florida Atlantic University?s School of Accounting started the scholars program, a two-year program that will lead to both a bachelor?s degree in business administration and a master?s degree in accounting. Students start the program as seniors and complete a semester of coursework as a cohort group before applying their knowledge during the internship component of the curriculum. The second year of the program marks the beginning of the first full-time graduate program offered in the School of Accounting during the day.

The scholars program prepares highly-qualified students for careers as certified public accountants. To be considered for the program, students must have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 and an accounting GPA of at least 3.0; prepare an onsite essay; and interview with an accounting professor on the scholars program committee. Prior to the internship period, students will complete Intermediate Accounting I, II and III; Tax Accounting I and II; Auditing; Accounting Information Systems; and Graduate Business Communications. After the internship, students complete two semesters of graduate coursework in advanced accounting and business topics. Throughout the program, students actively participate in professional development and community service activities offered through Beta Alpha Psi, a national honorary organization for financial information students and professionals.

?The scholars program brings together some of the best and brightest accounting students at FAU and offers them an exceptionally challenging and rewarding curriculum.

The academic component combined with professional development integrated throughout the program will provide excellent training and experience for these students,? said Ray Faloona ?91, partner with Deloitte & Touche and co-chairperson of the School of Accounting Advisory Council. ?Deloitte has enjoyed great success over the years in hiring FAU accounting students, and we look forward to working with more of their talented graduates in the future.?

Many of the students are only able to pursue educational opportunities on a full-time basis with financial support. For this reason, some within the professional community including McGladrey & Pullen; Grant Thornton; Berkowitz Dick Pollack & Brant; Deloitte & Touche; Ernst & Young; Florida Power & Light; Goldstein Lewin & Co; PricewaterhouseCoopers; and KPMG have sponsored scholarships and internships for FAU?s School of Accounting students. These sponsors have committed to funding 12 scholarships.

?Funding this scholarship with FAU allows us to invest in our most valuable resource?future accounting leaders,? said Don Goldstein, partner with Goldstein Lewin & Co. ?Goldstein Lewin & Co. also sponsors two internships, which give students the opportunity to go beyond the classroom and experience ?real world? accounting issues in a fast paced business environment.?

?We at McGladrey are very excited about the scholars program and look forward to an already excellent School of Accounting getting to a higher level,? said Jeff Ross ?86, partner with McGladrey and Pullen. ?We feel by partnering with the School of Accounting we are helping secure our own future. One of our greatest needs is quality staff, and FAU has been an excellent source for us for many years.?

The School of Accounting will be celebrating the launch of the scholars program and introducing the inaugural class at Mizner Country Club in Delray Beach, Florida on Monday, October 1. The evening includes a welcome reception, silent and live auctions, and buffet dinner. Golfers are invited to arrive early for the Golf Challenge. To learn more about the scholars program or to attend the celebration, contact Dr. Kimberly Dunn, scholars program director, at [email protected] or visit soa.fau.edu/celebration.

FAU?s School of Accounting students are ranked 6th in the nation based on the percentage of candidates passing all four parts of the CPA examination.

For information about how to partner with FAU?s Barry Kaye College of Business School of Accounting, contact Helena Szczesny, development director, at 561-297-3186 or [email protected].

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

BOCA RATON, FL (August 30, 2007) - With the beginning of this academic year, top students in Florida Atlantic University?s School of Accounting started the scholars program, a two-year program that will lead to both a bachelor?s degree in business administration and a master?s degree in accounting.

To be considered for the program, students must have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 and an accounting GPA of at least 3.0; prepare an onsite essay; and interview with an accounting professor on the scholars program committee.

Excellent. FAU has a couple of 5-year BS/MS programs… for instance, I know there's one in Biotechnology as well. And in a few years, it looks like we're going to have a BS/MS program.

The only thing is… for a Scholars program…. shouldn't the GPA requirement be higher? Like a 3.5?
Back to the top

owlcountry said

illinoisowl said

BOCA RATON, FL (August 30, 2007) - With the beginning of this academic year, top students in Florida Atlantic University?s School of Accounting started the scholars program, a two-year program that will lead to both a bachelor?s degree in business administration and a master?s degree in accounting.

To be considered for the program, students must have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 and an accounting GPA of at least 3.0; prepare an onsite essay; and interview with an accounting professor on the scholars program committee.

Excellent. FAU has a couple of 5-year BS/MS programs… for instance, I know there's one in Biotechnology as well. And in a few years, it looks like we're going to have a BS/MS program.

The only thing is… for a Scholars program…. shouldn't the GPA requirement be higher? Like a 3.5?

Thats a good point.

This is just my guess though. When I was at FAU, to maintain a 3.5 as an accounting major was REALLY REALLY hard. The drop out rate in accounting at that time was 80%. The professors made it that high so that only the best students made it through the program. Hopefully it is still that hard but that would limit this program to really elite students.

The other thing is that it appears the national accounting firms are contributing financially to this program since they recruit heavily from FAU. They are probably comfortable with that gpa since that usually is their minimum GPA requirement to even interview with them.

If this program become real popular, they may raise the GPA requirements. Right now its just starting.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top
Control functions: