Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Alumnus is new FGCU President

Add topic

From http://www.florida-weekly.com/news/2007/0830/Top_News/017.html

"Wilson Bradshaw will be the third president of Florida Gulf Coast University beating two other candidates in a search that took months and was at times controversial.

"This is certainly one of the best days of my life. Thank you to the community, the board and the University." Bradshaw said after the FGCU Board of Trustees selected him on Saturday, Aug. 25.

"This was a grueling but honest process. A lot of people who cherish this University did a lot of work on its behalf. I am so pleased to be the next president of this fine institution. I can't imagine a finer day in my life. The last thing I would like to say is in terms of a pledge.

"Now that I have been named the next president of FGCU, I promise I will give you my best. Thank you so much."

The FGCU 13-member Board of Trustees made the selection of Bradshaw unanimous, many citing his track record as a builder, a problem solver and a motivator.

"Dr. Bradshaw has an extraordinary amount of energy. He has the emotional energy, the experience and the vision to lead this institution," chairman Scott Lutgert said.

Trustee Michael Villalobos said, "Dr. Bradshaw has the dynamics I think we need. He has the out of the box thinking we will need in the next decade."

Bradshaw is the current president at Metropolitan State University in St. Paul, Minn., where he is also a professor of psychology and a full member of the graduate faculty. From 1995 to 2000, he served as provost and vice president for Academic Affairs at Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania. From 1990 to 1995, Bradshaw was the vice president and dean for Graduate Studies and Research at Georgia Southern University. He also served as professor in psychology at Georgia Southern University. He held several titles at Florida Atlantic University including dean of Graduate Studies and tenured associate professor in psychology. Bradshaw earned a Ph.D. in psychology from the University of Pittsburgh in 1980, a Master of Arts in experimental psychology from Florida Atlantic University in 1973 and a Bachelor of Arts in psychology from Florida Atlantic University in 1971.

In 1981, Bradshaw was awarded a Post- Doctoral Fellowship for "Laboratory of Neural and Endocrine Regulation" from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Bradshaw's career in academia includes a wide spectrum of educational posts including assistant professor of pharmacology at Florida A&M University/VA Medical Center, instructor of physiology at the Wright State University School of Medicine in Ohio, and instructor at the University of Pittsburgh.

Bradshaw replaces William Merwin who retired earlier this year."
Back to the top

Wasn't VP Lamanski a candidate at one time for that position. I have seen his name so many times in contention for another job, usually as a university President.

It seems he is anxious to leave.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

faualum said

Wasn't VP Lamanski a candidate at one time for that position. I have seen his name so many times in contention for another job, usually as a university President.

It seems he is anxious to leave.

Lemanski was in the run, yes. Also in the run was a former the Ohio State University President.

Not sure if Lemanski is necessarily on the run or just looking for a better paycheck.
Back to the top
Control functions: