Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Rambling thoughts about FAU

Add topic

Hey guys I just have a general comment about the effect of schools like FAU and FIU and UM and other South Florida colleges. I know having grown up in South Florida, it is a strange part of the country culturally. Especially Boca with it's Seniors and the snowbirds. To this day when I tell people I'm from Florida I often hear, but where are you really from because no one is from Florida. Well after the population boom, more and more are growing up and staying. Additionally, as FAU and FIU improve you have more kids staying home, getting their education then heading into the South Florida businesss world and spending their lives in FLA.

Obviously, there havee always been people who were born and raised but the numbers must be increasing.

However, with so many more people living down there even more are living and staying. I think it is great that FAU and these other universities offer the people of South Florida more and more opportunities.

I guess I don 'thave much else to say except I think it will be interesting to see the complexion of the area solidify into something more identifiable and concrete than it is now.

I don't know if I made any sense in this post but I must leave now, so forgive my rambling. If anyone has any thoughts on this I'd love to hear it.
Back to the top

I think I understand what you are getting at. I have lived in South Florida for 40 years and my son is now second generation Floridian. There have been MAJOR changes over the years, the main one I believe is that there used to be a season, now it's crowded all year around.

This being the fact I agree that the FAUs and FIUs will be gaining in popularity, I have already told my wife, ours sons can go to any university they want as long as it's FSU or FAU. I don't really mean it but it sounds good. I believe by the time my kids are college age FAU will have an on campus stadium that holds 60K by then probably playing in the Big East, a strong Medical program with the new Hospital on campus etc.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I think it's really neat that South Florida has good universities. However, for a city like Miami, I think it really lacks more universities, believe it or not. L.A. has tons of private universities and even public. Granted, there's others like St. Thomas U, Barry U, Johnson and Wales and FL Memorial U, but the only ones that are most well-known would be FIU and UM in Miami and then FAU up in Palm Beach County. Overall though, South Florida is still a changing area and definitely for the better for our universities.
Back to the top