Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Who Let The Owls Out????

OK. I was tipped off by some fans as to what was being discussed in the threads on this page - specifically someone mentioning me as the possible creator or "Who Let the Owls Out."

I just graduated and moved to Texas. However, it took me five of the six football seasons to graduate. So, I've been around for a while and might shed some light of a historical sense on the situation.

1. No, I did not create "Who Let The Owls Out." I just simply help to promote it to the student body. However, I did help to create Owl Fingers in 2002.

2. I can point my finger at two possible creators of Who Let the Owls Out. First, is an alum who hung the sign bearing those words every game at his tailgate. Second, was a student who made shirts (one is hanging in 620subs last time I checked in July) that has a picture of Coach Schnelly smoking out of a pipe and it says "Who Let the Owls Out" and on the back it says "This Guy Did." Those shirts were being sold by an unlicensed vendor in 2003 before FAU politely asked him/her to leave.

While I would love to take credit for creating such a catchy chant and everyone can learn quickly, I can't take credit for it.

And my reason for starting a whole new thread about this: I couldn?t find the replies in the threads. There were so many replies about different topics. And also because when you are talking about BUILDING TRADITION, it deserves its own topic.

-$mitty
A Founding Father of the prOWLers
The rowdiest students at FAU

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Who Let The Owls Out????

I noticed yesterday that the WLTOO chant was nowhere to be seen or heard. Is it a coincidence that the team played so well without the chant?? I think not! :) Hopefully it has taken it's place in FAU's history and bowed out gracefully. I do think we need more coordinated cheering. There were times it was too quiet during the game. A few times the F-A-U chant started and were drowned out by the band or PA announcer. It would be nice if the cheerleaders or dance team would have signs for "F-A-U" or "Let's Go Owls!" that they can hold up until our fans get more coordinated on our own.
Back to the top

Who Let The Owls Out????

The crowd is definitely not loud enough on 3rd downs when the opposition is driving and we are on D.

That place should rock as much as it can with 8,000 fans during critical parts of the game.

It was upsetting considering MTSU was mounting a comeback in the 4th and it took awhile for the crowd to get into it.
Back to the top

Who Let The Owls Out????

In his credit WLTOO guy chanting at least could be heard, and people responded. The fans were way to quite, it was a football game not a tennis match. The speakers at Lockhart just plain suck. You could hear the Ref's unless you were sitting right under the speakers. :(

Come on BOT lets get the on campus stadium moving its obvious Lockhart could care less
Back to the top

Who Let The Owls Out????

i thinik the holiday weekend played a hug part in the lack of crowd…that, and the fact that they had like three people checking tickets, and SEARCHING EVERY STINKING HANDBAG COING THROUGH THE GATE.

what was that about?!

they made me ditch the hand clappers pepsi gave out at lockhart last year because there is appearantly a "no artificial noisemaker" policy in the stadium now…what a joke!
Back to the top

Who Let The Owls Out????

Florida_Owl said

they made me ditch the hand clappers pepsi gave out at lockhart last year because there is appearantly a "no artificial noisemaker" policy in the stadium now…what a joke!

That's actually a NCAA rule. If the opposing team complains they can call a penalty against the home team for it.
Back to the top

Who Let The Owls Out????

I did hear the WLTOO? chant once yesterday, but then the usual guy who starts it appeared to get into a discussion with a women seated near him (his wife possibly). It looked like she'd told him to sit down and shut up! Was anyone sitting over his way and saw what actually happened?

Anyway, I'm glad the chant appears to have died.

Back to the top

Who Let The Owls Out????

GhostOfBuchanan said

I did hear the WLTOO? chant once yesterday…

Yeah. One of the students in the prOWLer section did start it, and a handful of other people chimed in the second time, but then it died and never happened again. There were a lot of dirty looks when they started it.

We tried a wave several time and it didn't work. A couple of people tried to do this dance and that didn't go over well either. Owl Fingers was pretty widespread, however.

What was actually disappointing to me is how few fans (mostly non-students) wore red. Most of the students were in red.
Back to the top

Who Let The Owls Out????

You do need to remember that the other team was blue yesterday. I would have worn red too, if I had a red FAU t-shirt.
Back to the top

Who Let The Owls Out????

Who Let The Owls Out????

Football = Blue
Basketball = Red

Did anyone notice we had on Blue jerseys. We don't have red jerseys.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top
Control functions: