Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Atmosphere, Towels, Cannon, Rudeness & More ...

Dear Whoever-it-is-who-decides-where-the students-and-band-sit:

Back up! Reverse! Think again!

Come on … You finally found a good place for them, on the west side of the north stands. They got loud there and most of the other parts of the stadium - especially the "home" side - could hear and fed off them. 'Same for the band, which could play at much of the fans on the "home" side. It was a win-win situation.

Now, you have set the common sense meter back and stuck them back in the end zone in which no one really wants to sit, it's much more difficult to hear them and they sort of seem relegated to the ozone layer way out there.

PLEASE, rehash your decisions - for the good of FAU and the atmosphere during its games. No one is going to sit in that north section (except, maybe, for the USF game, and possible not even then). Take steps forward, not back.

The official rules state that tailgaters must go into the stadium or leave the parking lot. I wonder if that rule is enforced. Firing the cannon outside the gates would be a good way to let people know to to come in.

I have to speak up for the cannon guys. I am near them frequently and they are friendly and careful. (I have been blasted by that thing a couple of times at Joe Robbie - godawful.) On Saturday, I was right in the line of fire when two of the guys warned me in time to move. They waited and then fired it.

The cannon is as far back from the field as possible, in the extreme northeast corner of the stadium. If they shot it when the MTSU team was close. I'm sure it was not intended to cause harm. It was, after all, the end of a very positive half for FAU and the guys were celebrating.

Again this year, I wonder whether Lockhart has the rudest employees in the nation. They are rude as we come in and rudely show us the door minutes after the game ends.

On Saturday, I had already come in when I noticed they were giving away the Owl towels to everyone at another gate. I walked up to the woman and asked her if I could have one. She looked me up and down, and said, "Who are you?" I got no towel.

And does FAU have to pay a handful of stadium employees to monitor seating (and whatever else they do) in the empty end zone(s) and corners? How about saving some money there while helping to pay off the "fired" fund-raising czar.

Fans: PLEASE take some action to follow the cheers (there was some improvement at this game) - especially when the band is on the field and simply asks you all to shout "F-A-U!" Please, take part!

I liked the free Owl towels, although the FAU logo could have been at least as large as the sponsor logo. I used to really like the car flags, too, until they started cracking in half and blowing off the pole. One of the flag poles cracked in half on the turnpike Saturday. They seem to be good only to 40 mph.

Ending on a positive note: The game atmosphere is definitely improving and I managed to talk to several people who were at their first FAU game. They are planning to come again and tailgate, starting with the Minnesota game. One couple has a son new at FAU and the other friend has a daughter who is considering FAU a few years down the line. And the kid is a basketball whiz at Cardinal Newman. Forget the marketing woes. If we all drag someone to each game, they will become part of the "family" and numbers will climb.
Back to the top

Completely agree on the student section. Fill the sidelines...it makes the atmosphere so much better.
Back to the top

Good call on the stadium employees, photo man….but it's not just Lockhart. I think CSC must just pay people simply to be rude, as they're just as bad at Dolphin Stadium and other venues. I mean, I know the job probably doesn't pay too well, but it doesn't take much just to be reasonably pleasant.

On a related note, when did the no re-entry policy go into effect? I seem to remember being able to go back to my car last year. I mean, it makes sense for the concession folks, but it's annoying.

As for the crowd atmosphere, it is getting slightly better every game, but still leaves a lot to be desired. I've heard louder crowds at high school softball games.

Looking forward to a game time other than 4 p.m. next week….it means 9 a.m. tailgating and breakfast sausage…mmmm. Brings back memories of that Bethune I-AA playoff game.
Back to the top

Hey put the cannon on the Southeast side it migfht wake up some of the people that sit around us.
Back to the top

BMarkey said

The official rules state that tailgaters must go into the stadium or leave the parking lot. I wonder if that rule is enforced. Firing the cannon outside the gates would be a good way to let people know to to come in.
I know some people here were complaining about the no re-entry rule. I actually walked up to a guard and asked if I could go out to get something from my car and they allowed me to. You guys were saying how they were rude… and they were (one lady didn't even answer one of my questions, just pretended not to hear it).

The thing was that I didn't know the game had started back up… I walked in at a first down in the 3rd. I said to my friend, a fellow FAU student, that I wish they played some sort of war horn or something to let us know the game was going to start up again.
Back to the top

There should be some type of signal to get into the stadium. At Dolphin games, they have a loud alarm when it gets close to kickoff. FAU has a cannon....take it within range of the parking lt and set it off 2 or 3 times 20 minutes prior to kick off. There have to be people in the stands for the players entrance and national anthem...that really adds to the atmosphere.
Back to the top

Are you guys saying that people can't keep track of time on their own?? I think the people that don't make it into the stadium until sometime in the middle of the first quarter know that they have missed kickoff and don't really care. This problem isn't unique to FAU. If people wanted to get in by kickoff they would do it without some type of early warning system in place.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

Are you guys saying that people can't keep track of time on their own?? I think the people that don't make it into the stadium until sometime in the middle of the first quarter know that they have missed kickoff and don't really care. This problem isn't unique to FAU. If people wanted to get in by kickoff they would do it without some type of early warning system in place.

GO OWLS!!!

I agree with this. Keep track of the time. Buy a watch. Look at the clock in the car. Look at your cell phone. Ask someone for the time. If your cell phone has the feature, set it to beep leaving enough time to get in the stadium.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

faualum said

owlfan1 said

GO OWLS!!!

I agree with this. Keep track of the time. Buy a watch. Look at the clock in the car. Look at your cell phone. Ask someone for the time. If your cell phone has the feature, set it to beep leaving enough time to get in the stadium.

Glad to see that I am not the only one who realizes that there are more ways to keep track of time than the use of a cannon.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

faualum said

Glad to see that I am not the only one who realizes that there are more ways to keep track of time than the use of a cannon.
GO OWLS!!!
Agreed but it's a lot more interesting if there's some kind of alarm that goes off before every game begins and people are psyched to hear it.
Back to the top
Control functions: