Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Howdy Owls Fans

Just wanted to stop by and talk a little football.

I'm an old fart. Class of 1980. Rolled into Stillwater in 1976 after four years in the Marines.

My son played baseball for Gary Ward at New Mexico State, so I used to follow several Sunbelt schools. I remember when you guys first got cranked up and were so excited about going D1A in football. Well now you're here. Let's strap it on.
Back to the top

Howdy Owls Fans

Howdy Owls Fans

orangeokie said

Just wanted to stop by and talk a little football.

I'm an old fart. Class of 1980. Rolled into Stillwater in 1976 after four years in the Marines.

My son played baseball for Gary Ward at New Mexico State, so I used to follow several Sunbelt schools. I remember when you guys first got cranked up and were so excited about going D1A in football. Well now you're here. Let's strap it on.

Welcome to the board orange.

Any insights from your side, questions or predictions?

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Howdy Owls Fans

my prediction:

OSU 41, FAU 17

i really think our offense can do something against OSU this week… obviously a blow-out, nonetheless

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Howdy Owls Fans

WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN?
Back to the top

Howdy Owls Fans

orangeokie said

Let's strap it on.

Exit39 said

WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN?

;D

Now that's funny.
Back to the top

Howdy Owls Fans

fauowl09 said

my prediction:

OSU 41, FAU 17

i really think our offense can do something against OSU this week… obviously a blow-out, nonetheless

Absolutely no confidence in the FAU defense. Where does that prediction come from???

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Howdy Owls Fans

After our anemic showing in Georgia, I have lost all of my pre-season confidence. We do not look like an experienced and accomplished team. There is some dissent on most of our froums as to who should be our starting QB. Our special teams, a strength last year, gave up tremendous field position to Georgia which cost us two quick TDs (first and last of the game). We have offensive playmakers on offense at all the key positions, but our OL is suspect. Contrary to what you will read on our fan forums, I think our defense is improved and will turn out to be a strength for us. I look for the game to be close through three quarters and then maybe a 10 point separation at most if we win, and a 3-6 point deficit if we lose. I mean, look at what MTSU is doing at Louisville at the half. Anything can happen if a team is overconfident. A few of our most recent wins over Oklahoma can be attributed to the gooners being overconfident and not respecting us. I fully believe, after the spanking we took at Georgia, our coaches will have the team's attention this week as we prepare for the Owls.

BTW - - - fill me in a liitle bit about your accension into D1A football. Are you meeting your average attendance figures requirement?
Back to the top

Howdy Owls Fans

Realistically are you more worried about our attendance figures allowing us to compete with OSU in D-IA or the score where FAU may end up dominating OSU Saturday night? Just considering what the same MTSU team did to dismantle #8 Louisville tonight - may not have won but it was a completely unpredictable wild ride. And if it happens to OSU and FAU this Saturday don't be surprised. BTW - How is OSU's defense this year? May be a battle of the bulge with 2 good defenses if that is the case. Mark it on your calendar - the 8th may spell trouble once again for OSU. But only time will tell… …
Back to the top

Howdy Owls Fans

Regarding that attendance issue however…

Here is an interesting article as to why it likely will not ever become the HUGE issue that the NCAA wants it to be. They have struggled for years to make attendance an issue. It is ridiculous. And I'm not just saying this as an FAU fan, the so-called "law" is intrinsically flawed.

Read this article to see why it is and hopefully will remain a non-issue.

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://www.macreportonline.com/15k_rule.html

Now, yes, it is an opinion and yes FAU will still strive to meet the numbers but why talk about it. If we start whooping the pants off bigger name schools, then what? Who's to say we don't belong out there because our school is still growing? UF wasn't built in a day - they didn't have sellout games in the beginning - quite the opposite actually. OSU - the same story. Look past such ridiculous issues - get your head IN THE GAME. GO OWLS!!!
Back to the top

Howdy Owls Fans

My son played baseball for Gary Ward at NMSU, so I used to peruse the Sunbelt boards quite a bit. Back then you were about a year away from football and quite excited as I remember. Several of the Sunbelt teams used to be concerned about the 15,000 fan average required of D1A. I was just curious how was your attendace now. FWIW, I am not concerned at all about FAU dominating the Cowboys. You may win the game, but you won't dominate. On the other hand, I don't think we will dominate either. As for our D, I think it is going to be much better this year. New DC from tOSU. More playmakers in the LB and secondary, though interior DL is new and still suspect.
Back to the top
Control functions: