Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Western Kentucky Marketing

anybody read the article on WKU about their football team and how they marketed to get their ticket sales up? read it…….they actually sent they're football team door to door selling tickets…..and it worked……….
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3008463&sportCat=ncf&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

"Sore Loser?!?! Tell you what, show me a Good Loser and I'll SHOW you a LOSER!!!"
Back to the top

I read that too. The real key for them was selling season tickets really cheap($25 per game for 5 games), making their entire stadium general admission for this season, and having the players and staff go out into the community and sell the tickets door to door. I think it is a great idea and something FAU should look into, but only when we get a stadium in Boca. The cheap tickets and GA seating would be great for a temporary stadium next season or the year after. Once people go to the games, i'm sure that they would come back, especially leading up to the excitement that a brand new stadium will bring. Lock them in cheaply now and they'll be willing to stay even when the price goes up. Smart marketing plan by WKU.
Back to the top

Great idea!

Beware the talons of the Mighty Owls!
Back to the top

The residential market in Boca I am sure is a lot greater then that of Bowling Green. I think our guys would be waisting a lot of time and energy knocking on individuals doors.

Don't' get me wrong, I am all for "Guerrilla Marketing", however; I do not think that knocking on peoples doors would be effective in Boca. I think they would be a lot better off going around to either large companies, the mall or ect., where then could sell in bulk.
Back to the top

What you could do is hold fan rallys in August and July (dead months in So. Fla.). Go to places with the right demographics (shopping plazas etc.) and sell GA season tickets and have fan giveaways like T-shirts, caps, and car flags.

Back to the top

It would be nice if we had more support from local business. I approached my boss about purchasing some season tickets and he was pretty unenthusiastic. He's a gator fan.

FAU truly is So. Fla.'s hometown team. I'm sure a lot of local businesses have employees or family who have connections with the university.

Back to the top

Perhaps going door to door is unrealistic, but they could go to businesses. How about getting together with the fraternaties and sororities and have some kind of contest on who could sell more tickets. Or get together with the school of business. Have a contest amongst the marketing majors on who can come up with the most effective way to market and sell season tickets.

They could go to the alumni in the area…There is a lot of them. It doesn't have to be door-to-door necessarily. Send out a cheap ticket offer, $5 a game like WKU, to all local alumni. Send them information with drawings of the new stadium. Get them excited about going to games on the campus where they went to school. This is why the stadium is so critically important, and why setting up a temporary facility next year would be huge for the program.
Back to the top

Another idea would be…Sell group tickets to local businesses. Then have a contest between these businesses who can show the most team spirit at the game. The business that wins, gets announced at halftime and is awarded some type of free advertising. I think it would be a win for everybody.

I also think this should be done at every home game. Before you know it, you would have a competition that would ad a lot of excitement to each home game. It could get crazy!!!
Back to the top
Control functions: