Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Post Game Thoughts

Ok, now that i've slept on it…

I hoped for better, but the game went pretty much how I figured it would. Owls hung close for a half(well, about all but 15 seconds of the 1st half). In the 2nd half OSU's talent and depth took over.

I hate blaming the refs, and in the end I don't think it would have mattered, but that play at the end of the half was a real momentum crusher. Perhaps it was the right call, I didn't see it. But according to the OSU radio broadcast, the stadium scoreboard showed the replay. According to their announcer, the BIG 12 has a rule against showing controversial replays in the stadium. They showed the play twice. The OSU coach watched it and then called for a challenge. The announcer said OSU is likely to face a fine for showing the replay. Again this was from the OSU broadcast, so it's not sour grapes…just what happened. If this is the case and that is why they asked for a challenge, it really blows.

The worst part of the outcome was injuries. Hopefully none are too serious.

The best part is that the series with OSU is over. There wasn't much positive to take from any of the games other than experience. To me there is no point in playing a team this far out west. It's a travel nightmare for fans and the team. There is no real recruiting benefit. And, most importantly, we had no chance of getting a win out there. We need to be entering more agreements like the one with UAB, where both schools get equal number of home games.

The key now is for the Owls to regroup. People are talking about how bad the offense looked. yeah, it didn't do much, but I look at what we did in week 1 against a team on our level and i think we'll be fine. We have Minnesota at DS next. They have struggled at home with 2 MAC teams. We should be able to move the ball against them. Miami of Ohio put up over 400 yards of offense on them. The prior week Miami(Ohio) had less than 300 yards of offense in their win over Ball State. This should be a winnable game.

Back to the top

Post Game Thoughts

I agree that we shouldn't be travelling that far west for a game. Its hard enough for fans who can't even pick up a broadcast on the radio (or webcast for that matter). The only way I could follow the game was on the scoreboard on ESPN.

I definitely think we are getting bigger and stronger. I was glad when I saw the halftime score, I felt the same way- that we were still in the game.

On a side note, I did watch some of the SF/ Auburn game. Is it me, or is the officiating definitely slanted against us so-called "Directional Schools" ?

I felt before this season, and still do, that we will upset a team O.O.C. Just a gut feeling, but I know it will happen. I hope the injuries aren't too serious.

Beware the talons of the Mighty Owls!
Back to the top

Post Game Thoughts

My post games thoughts:

Why did we seem to give up on the starters so early? I did not see the game, I could only hear it, so I will defer to Coach S on knowing what is best for the team. It just seems that playing the starters against OSU longer would have given them the "advanced training" that we were supposedly using this game as. Rusty and the O will not get much better going against our "scout" team each week. I thought this was a great opportunity to gain experience and we did not take advantage of it. Maybe Coach saw we were getting killed and didn't want to totally destroy our confidence.

My last thought is that the officiating did not lose this game. Our inability to execute against a better opponent lost us the game. We needed a perfect game with no penalties and no turnovers and both happened on the first 2 plays.

Let's not turn into the MTSU fans with BS excuses. We stunk last night. We learn and improve each week and move on. We were expected to lose and we did.

Let's go win the next one! Go Owls!!!
Back to the top

Post Game Thoughts

I didn't see it, so I can't offer any commenting on the officiating in that game. I was commenting on the SF/ Auburn and I definitely think the refs wer giving alot of leeway to Auburn's O-line in the first half. Levitt's done a great job. They're gonna be tough to beat.

We have many young starters. I'd rather see them pulled than see future seasons go down the tubes. I think Smith has great potential, but he definitely needs time to develop and some meat on his bones.

Beware the talons of the Mighty Owls!
Back to the top

Post Game Thoughts

I felt like I needed to get over a hang-over this morning and got going much later then usual, but here are my Post game Toughts

Back to the top

Post Game Thoughts

proudowl said

I agree that we shouldn't be travelling that far west for a game. Its hard enough for fans who can't even pick up a broadcast on the radio (or webcast for that matter). The only way I could follow the game was on the scoreboard on ESPN.

I definitely think we are getting bigger and stronger. I was glad when I saw the halftime score, I felt the same way- that we were still in the game.

On a side note, I did watch some of the SF/ Auburn game. Is it me, or is the officiating definitely slanted against us so-called "Directional Schools" ?

I felt before this season, and still do, that we will upset a team O.O.C. Just a gut feeling, but I know it will happen. I hope the injuries aren't too serious.

ProundOwl,

I provide a Interenet Brodcast Radio link for each game on the Game Thread I set-up every week on game day - Follow the link & click on Listen Live button and you will be able to listen to every game.
Back to the top

Post Game Thoughts

Here are some further thoughts about the game:

Remember that Coach did mentioned that he was using these OC game as further training sessions for the team & players. I have no problem with the player substitution at the end - the game was pretty much out of hand and getting young players in there is important in building depth & experience - game time experience is huge.

Sometimes it better to gives guys a rest, especially if their focus & composure is not what it needs to be.

Right now we need to re-group and get ready for the Gophers.

Back to the top

Post Game Thoughts

fauowl09 said

Baller07 said

As much of a homer as I am, I do not think our line's are physical enough to beat OSU. FAU will hang with them longer this year, and hopefully make it a close one, but I cant see our running game controlling the ball and Rusty and his now 3 receivers aren't there yet. :-/

OSU 34
FAU 17

Lets go OWLS!!

so, in other words, you and i are the only normal people on this board? i see this game even uglier… we have a good team this year guys, but we can't hang with OSU… come on homers!

OSU 41, FAU 10

the sad part is, i would've LOVED to have been wrong… apparently, i wasn't wrong at all

i still think we will knock off south florida when we are home… south florida is not a "great" school, they knocked off auburn yes, but there is a part of me that says we will get them at home

SBC Champions… that's all that matters guys

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Post Game Thoughts

fauowl09 said

fauowl09 said

so, in other words, you and i are the only normal people on this board? i see this game even uglier… we have a good team this year guys, but we can't hang with OSU… come on homers!

OSU 41, FAU 10

the sad part is, i would've LOVED to have been wrong… apparently, i wasn't wrong at all

i still think we will knock off south florida when we are home… south florida is not a "great" school, they knocked off auburn yes, but there is a part of me that says we will get them at home

SBC Champions… that's all that matters guys

I agree with you about last night's game. I would have loved to have been wrong as well, but I saw it coming. I just wanted to hang in for a half, and we did. The defense did play well in the first half. I think OSU only had about 100-120 yards of total offense and came within a disputed call of ending the half with a clutch defensive stand in the red zone. The only disappointing part was the first team offense not getting into the endzone. They did have 2 drives in the 2nd quarter in which they did move the ball and got down close, only to stall. The FG kicking of Leroy was a positive. Good job by him kicking his career long FG.

I just have a better feeling about our OOC games against Minnesota and USF. I'm not saying we will win both, but I like our chances of competing in both. I think Minnesota is the most winnable OOC game on our schedule.
Back to the top

Post Game Thoughts

Post Game Thoughts

I am extremely disappointed with the fact that we have seen virtually no improvement since we played OSU in 2005. In fact, we did better in 2005 than either of the last two years. Granted OSU has probably gotten better since then as well, but there still seems to be a very big gap in terms of talent on the field.

The thing that really gets me is that USF is having such success. Don't get me wrong, I am happy to see them doing so well, I just don't understand how they are able to improve by leaps and bounds and FAU can't.

At this point I think the best thing for this program will be to get the on campus stadium. That will help FAU to bring in far better players and get the program moving in the right direction.

One last thing. I think that having UAB on the schedule next year will help us to get a better gauge as to the talent of our own team. We really need to start scheduling more low to mid level schools in order to get some confidence. Tulane, Memphis, UAB, East Carolina, So. Miss, are all possibilities that make sense talent wise as well as geographically.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top
Control functions: