Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

4 stadium plans get look

Add topic

By Ted Hutton

STILLWATER, Okla. - While Oklahoma State is finishing an expansion on Boone Pickens Stadium from 44,700 to 60,000 seats, Florida Atlantic is less than two weeks away from finding out whether they will get an on-campus stadium and what it will look like when they finally do.

FAU Athletic Director Craig Angelos said before Saturday's game against the Cowboys that the FAU Board of Trustees would be considering four scenarios when they meet Sept. 18.

The original plan called for a 30,000-seat concrete structure with a price tag of $98 million, but Angelos said the school has been studying Central Florida's new 45,000-seat stadium that is steel and will cost much less.

FAU is considering three different sized steel stadiums ? 30,000 seats for $62 million, 37,500 seats for $65 million and the last one the same size as UCF's, 45,000 seats, for $70 million.

Angelos said details of all four proposals will be sent to the trustees early next week so they have time to study them before the meeting.

"Everybody is behind an on-campus stadium," Angelos said. "It's just about what to build how to go about paying for it."
Back to the top

4 stadium plans get look

I'll take any of those choices….pick a plan and start building!

Back to the top

4 stadium plans get look

fauowls44 said

I'll take any of those choices….pick a plan and start building!

A-*******-MEN!!!!!!!!

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

4 stadium plans get look

I hear that lets just "Get er done"
Back to the top

4 stadium plans get look

I guarantee it will be the smallest, least expensive option. It will be a mini-UCF (33% smaller). We've gone from the state-of-the-art dome to the cut-rate erector set…
Back to the top

4 stadium plans get look

Gee, I wonder which plan our cheap-ass BOT will select?

I hope they remember, in the long run, it will cost less if they do it right the first time.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

4 stadium plans get look

I dont care which option they choose to use just as long as it has the ability to expand and become something a lot better with more seats. I mean whats the point of building something you cant work with?
Back to the top

4 stadium plans get look

4 stadium plans get look

Lm77 said

I guarantee it will be the smallest, least expensive option. It will be a mini-UCF (33% smaller). We've gone from the state-of-the-art dome to the cut-rate erector set…

The dome was a dream from the beginning. Any type of stadium will be better than Lockhart. The most important thing is that it will be on campus and it will be brand new.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

4 stadium plans get look

Here is a photo of UCF's new stadium. Looks like way more than an erector set to me. I actually think it looks pretty damn good.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

4 stadium plans get look

Can you follow the decline in the quotes below? It seems absurd to me that we can spend over *three years* working on a proposal for a Dome and an additional year and a half working on an open-air stadium (which was clearly intended to be concrete as shown by the comments comparing the facility to UCF's) with absolutely nothing to show. We can expect the lower level of UCF's stadium towards 2011 or later since we need to build dorms and shops first rather than going into our endowment fund (which is far larger than UCF's or FIU's).

Building the stadium for 1999 would have been far less expensive than building it today considering the dramatically rising construction costs, what we have spent on Dolphin Stadium (through 2012!) and Lockhart, and missed revenue from other opportunities.

From Ask the AD:

July 30, 2007

Thanks for the email. The latest on the football stadium is that the Board of Trustees will most likely officially vote on the stadium at their meeting on September 17, 2007. Naturally, there could be delays even at this point but I think it is safe to say that we are going to have a stadium on campus hopefully as early as 2010. At the November 2006 meeting the Trustees seemed to make the decision that they were going to endorse a 30,000 seat open air stadium. That is were we are headed at this point. With regard to 2008 we are still monitoring the situation with Lockhart Stadium and we will see whether the stadium developer would be willing to fund a temporary stadium for 2008 and 2009 until we can officially move into our stadium in 2010. Plus, we are still undecided about where we will be playing in 2008.

Thanks for your patience and support,
Craig

July 5, 2007

Sorry for the delay in response to your email. I have seen all the positive press UCF and FIU have been getting regarding their stadium. My sincere belief is that our stadium will be better than either of those and we will get our deserved attention at that time. This process is moving pretty good now so that we should have some definite plans by this fall and we still plan on opening by 2010. Stay tuned, and thanks for your support.

Craig

September 27, 2006

Thanks for the question we are meeting with the Trustees in late October to discuss the status of the Dome Stadium project. Over the last three years, we have evolved to the concept of the Innovation Village that would have dorm space, retail space, hotel space, and a dome stadium. The unique public/private partnership can work at FAU. We will have a better idea of the Trustees' position after the meeting and then we will see where we go from there.

Stay with us,
Craig

June 14, 2006

Thank you for your email. The problem with doing any type of dome stadium especially one with a retractable roof is the escalating costs. To do a dome stadium with retractable roof it would cost in the $400 million range. Also, these stadiums such as the one in Arizona and Seattle are mega stadiums with a lot of room underneath the roof. When we looked at the whether to build a basketball arena and a separate football field or build a multiuse dome facility, it was less expensive to build a very scaled down dome facility such as the Syracuse Carrier Dome. Keep in mind that footprint is much smaller than the mega dome stadiums. As an example, look at UCF. They are building a 10,000 seat basketball arena for $60,000-$80,000 million and are building a scaled down football stadium for $60,000 million. They will have two very plain facilities but it will still cost more than doing one scaled down dome stadium such as what we are trying to accomplish. Thanks for your question.
Back to the top
Control functions: