Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

BOT stadium presentation

Add topic

Here it is!

30000 seat steel stadium, $62million

http://www.fau.edu/bot/files/091807_Innovation_Village.pdf
Back to the top

BOT stadium presentation

This meeting is to agree on a concept. Funding will take some time. Construction will not start until spring of 2009? This is just a step in the process. The concept could still never be realized based on financing, and inability to secure donations.

I was hoping this was going to make me feel like we were getting a stadium. No can do yet.
Back to the top

BOT stadium presentation

30k erector set is on the way…i'll take it!

Back to the top

BOT stadium presentation

I will take it also. I will believe it when the shovel hits the ground in 2009.
Back to the top

BOT stadium presentation

I will gladly take it. But I would like them to address what happens in 2008 and 2009 if Lockhart is torn down prior to the opening of our stadium.
Back to the top

BOT stadium presentation

BOT stadium presentation

they did go for the smallest cheapest one. Thats no shock.

What ever happened to that donor that was ready to throw $30mil into the stadium?

Man, that report is 249 pages. I guess thats what has been worked on since that last meeting in May when nothing was prepared to be presented to the board. Lots of numbers. Someone has been busy. Its a shame it will take three years from now till it is ready.

NO conceptual drawings of the proposed stadiums. Looks like KUD is still involved.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

BOT stadium presentation

If they are compiling a 250 page document, they are going to go thru with it.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

BOT stadium presentation

Lm77 said

Here it is!

30000 seat steel stadium, $62million

http://www.fau.edu/bot/files/091807_Innovation_Village.pdf

30k. Figures. I guess I should have seen that coming since the concrete version was going to be 30k too.

I've gone through the very, very long document (while skipping around a lot) and here seem to be the salient points:

APPROVAL – 9/18/07

STADIUM – 30k seats :-/; $62 million; begins construction 4/15/09; first game on 6/30/10 ;D

INNOVATION VILLAGE RETAIL – 130k sq feet of space may be too much; no 'big box' stores like Best Buy or Publix or anything; "a recent informal survey of students conducted by FAU staff indicated a need for additional retail options such as:
�� Dry Cleaner/Laundry :)
�� Convenience Store
�� Video Rental :D
�� Tanning Salon ::)
�� Hair and Nail Salon ::)
�� Computer/Electronics Store :-*
�� Optician 8-)
�� Full Service Drug Store (e.g. CVS, Walgreen?s, which would in all likelihood replace FAU?s health center pharmacy :o) Students also expressed the desire for some recreational/entertainment such
as a bowling alley :D and/or a small movie theatre with a caf?." :D

>>> NOTE: I sent Dexter LaMont a list of things for consideration for the Innovation Village and almost all of them are on here… Video store, computer store, bowling alley, laundromat…

"Noticeably absent from the above list of possible new retail uses are any restaurants, bars, clubs or other eating or drinking establishments. The reasons for these omissions are two-fold. First, [glow=red,2,300]in all likelihood any restaurant or food service would conflict with Chartwell?s existing exclusive agreement with the University to provide such uses.[/glow] >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

>> so essentially we're not getting any food places because of Chartwells. However, we should have time to renegotiate their contract before this all gets built… let's see if the BOT has the sack to do that <<

"Second, there are a number of issues that arise in connection with having alcohol sales or consumption (it should be noted this issue could also arise in connection with some of the other uses listed above) on campus. ::) Accordingly, for the purposes of this analysis, we have assumed any new retail tenants (except those listed above) would NOT include any restaurants or other eating and drinking establishments. >:( In our opinion, the aforementioned limitations on the retail uses in an Innovation Village shopping center would significantly impact FAU?s ability to fill up to 130,000 square feet of retail as proposed. A shopping center of this size is what is most commonly referred to as a ?neighborhood? center serving the day-to-day retail and service needs of surrounding residents. In virtually all cases, such
neighborhood centers are anchored by a grocery store of 40,000 to 50,000 square feet and a drug store and/or hardware store of between 10,000 and 15,000 square feet each. The balance of a 130,000 square foot shopping center (i.e. the remaining 65,000 square feet or so) would be made up of various smaller retail and service tenants such as, a card shop, a dentist office, a frame shop, and the various other businesses previously mentioned"

"As shown above, a 130,000 retail center on campus could possibly generate nearly $2,000,000 per year in revenue (exclusive of debt service). It also appears safe to say that a smaller center with the uses suggested by FAU staff plus a few more in a center approximately half the size of the currently proposed center would generate nearly $1,000,000."

"we conservatively estimate a 130,000 square foot shopping center would require approximately 5 times that area to accommodate ample parking and other site improvements"

ON-CAMPUS HOUSING – Recommendation to add 5 new buildings to campus, each housing 309 students to increase the on-campus population by 1545 (lower than the 2000-3000 they discussed before); this will be bringing the on-campus total population to 4000 by Fall 2011; the housing will be built in phases, with 2 buildings each (meaning 618 beds) in 2009 and 2010 and the last 309 students in 2011; rent expected to be by semester between $866 and 907 per person; the housing will be geared towards upper-classmen who value privacy; models will be exclusively 4 bed/2 bath suites with single-occupancy rooms; apartments must be comparable or better than current on/off-campus models, with:

�� Kitchens/Kitchenettes
o Fully Furnished
o Tile floors
o Electric Range/Oven
o Refrigerator
o Dishwasher
o Garbage Disposal
�� Living Room/Dining Room Furnishings
�� Bathrooms
o Tile floors
o Double vanities in shared baths
o Standard tub/shower
�� Bedroom furnishings and Carpet
�� Mini-blinds/Verticals
�� Basic Cable TV
�� High Speed/Wireless Internet Access
�� All Utilities
�� Limited custodial service for common areas
�� Security and other University sponsored Residence Life support services

WORKFORCE HOUSING – "Although we believe affordable housing for employees at FAU is necessary to attract and maintain qualified employees, we caution about the timing of any for-sale product in the current environment. Additionally, building a specific product for a specific target market narrows the potential buyer pool in a market which is experiencing slower
sales across all product lines." Essentially… no, not right now.

That should save you about 249 pages worth of your time…

Back to the top

BOT stadium presentation

Some time in the future, Greek housing will be added, I heard Brogan postponed those. That would be in addition to the 4K although I don't know how many students that would be.

I just read that the reason for less on campus housing is because of the recent re-projection of modest growth. The original thought of more housing came from projections of more rapid enrollment growth.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

BOT stadium presentation

illinoisowl said

Some time in the future, Greek housing will be added, I heard Brogan postponed those. That would be in addition to the 4K although I don't know how many students that would be.

Don't want to get too off-topic but very quick:

I talked to the new DIrector of Greek Life this week.

He said they're bringing in an outside company to assess FAU's Greek Life. He said the analysis will be complete by early next year. From that point, a 5 year plan will be derived and housing is a component of that. If not housing, a multi-use Greek center will be built.

Since he came from UCF, he was fortunately leaning toward that model, which if you want to see the nicest Greek houses in Florida, check it out

http://campusmap.ucf.edu/flash/index.php?select=12

Anyway, he said that the national trend is moving away from individual houses because they were becoming more difficult to insure than nuclear power plants. Seriously.

Not his words but mine: we're likely going to get some sort of multi-use condos (FAU called them lodges) that will house Greek students. When this will happen? Brogan told a sorority it was on hold until after the hospital is built (which I was told would be complete 2012). So my guess would be… expect about 4 or 6 organizations to be in some sort of Greek housing by 2015.
Back to the top
Control functions: